Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
    A 2L at school today was explaining to the class why most LDS won't vote for Romney. As evidence she offered the fact that Democrats in Utah tend to be Mormon.
    I almost forgot: her other evidence was the fact that the "Utah Newspaper" endorsed Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
      The letter of the law from the Church since raising the bar is that premarital sex disqualifies you from service. There are plenty of Bishops and SPs who ignore it, and plenty who don't.
      I don't read it that way. If it was over an extended period of time or with multiple partners, you would be disqualified, but one or two times is not an automatic no go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        Having a child and/or having or paying/consenting to an abortion have long been mission deal breakers. Though I did have a friend whose sister had a baby, put it up for adoption and served a mission. This was in the mid 80s. That is the only time I've heard of a parent serving (disregarding senior couples and sisters, obviously).
        I know a guy in town that got married, had a kid, got divorced and then served a mission. This would have been the mid to late 70's. I'm not sure how he supported the kid or how he justified leaving his kid for two years but he did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          I know a guy in town that got married, had a kid, got divorced and then served a mission. This would have been the mid to late 70's. I'm not sure how he supported the kid or how he justified leaving his kid for two years but he did it.
          I am guessing he had family in high places (in the church) to pull this off.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I almost forgot: her other evidence was the fact that the "Utah Newspaper" endorsed Obama.
            doesn't that make you wonder about the admissions process there?
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Yes, but sadly, BYU wouldn't give me a scholarship.
              That's our Mormon work ethic. Once Rmoney is president, no one will be getting scholarships in America, they'll work for it, and be happy for doing so.

It feels good to come out of the closet.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                doesn't that make you wonder about the admissions process there?
                Yeah, no, actually, they're pretty up front about that part. By statute they have to select 70% of each class from within the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
                  The letter of the law from the Church since raising the bar is that premarital sex disqualifies you from service. There are plenty of Bishops and SPs who ignore it, and plenty who don't.
                  Not so sure about this one... I had premarital sex before my mission and after a year and a half went on a mission (I returned two years ago so this is recent). Obviously this isn't something to go around advertising in the LDS church (and culture) but I figured I'd share. I had 3 Bishops through this process that knew about it and one of them was even at BYU. So no it does not automatically disqualify you.

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  I don't read it that way. If it was over an extended period of time or with multiple partners, you would be disqualified, but one or two times is not an automatic no go.
                  In my experience, this is true.
                  Last edited by ricoson; 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• Nice story on NPR this morning about the change in mission ages.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/31/163631...missionariesch

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Nice story on NPR this morning about the change in mission ages.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/31/163631...missionariesch
                      Nice article.
                      One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                      SU

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Sister in law says she's going.
                        She opened it today. She's going to Washington DC South, leaves Jan 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                          She opened it today. She's going to Washington DC South, leaves Jan 9.
                          We have sisters down here in our stake. Maybe I'll get to see her.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• In the 6 years I've lived in my ward, half the time we have had no missionaries out, the other half we've had one. Now within a few months we will have:

1 couple
                            3 sisters
                            2 (maybe 3) elders
                            "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              We have sisters down here in our stake. Maybe I'll get to see her.
                              Same here! If what the mission prez here is purported to have said, we're gonna see a lot of calls come our way in the next few months.
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                I am guessing he had family in high places (in the church) to pull this off.
                                It is both amazing and disappointing how much differently you are treated in the Church, based purely off who knows you.

I had a companion for whom the bar was lowered significantly (drugs, multiple partners, etc). Actually one of my favorite companions and an excellent missionary. Got sick, went back to the States for surgery, and with connections made it back to abroad. Absolutely unheard of to return stateside for health reasons and go back abroad, but not in his case.

Getting in to BYU is possible with lousy grades and a 19 on your ACT if you are from well-known LDS family and your SP is well known and very wealthy.
                                Last edited by TexTechCoug; 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X