Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    What type of oil do you use to sear? I typically use a mix of olive oil and butter but when I sear really hot the butter burns so quickly.
    Canola. Higher smoke temperature.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
      Canola. Higher smoke temperature.
      I've never tried avocado oil but it has a smoke point of 520F
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        I use 129. 134 is too high. JL's gang sounds unsophisticated.
        No doubt about it. We are terribly unsophisticated.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Get the cheaper one. You will never use the wireless connectivity, bluetooth or wi-fi; it's a "hands-on" device.
          I think I am going to need the extra 100 watts and the wifi for the extra $20 or I'll lose my Texas citizenship.

For the box or pot that you cook things in it seems a retrofitted cooler would be ideal. That would save on the heat input. The metal pot would be the worst. The heat would escape causing the thing work in overtime. Maybe I am trying to engineer the hell out of this and put that stupid thermo class I had to take to good use.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            I think I am going to need the extra 100 watts and the wifi for the extra $20 or I'll lose my Texas citizenship.

For the box or pot that you cook things in it seems a retrofitted cooler would be ideal. That would save on the heat input. The metal pot would be the worst. The heat would escape causing the thing work in overtime. Maybe I am trying to engineer the hell out of this and put that stupid thermo class I had to take to good use.
            You are overthinking it.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You are overthinking it.
              Saw this after I posted... I guess I am not the only one that thought about using a cooler: https://www.amazon.com/review/R1UT29...&store=kitchen
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So, the first go at cooking steaks was a success, at least for me. My wife has not yet reached Sr. Lebowski-level appreciation of medium rare beef.

For my next try (aside from eggs, which I've done a couple of times), I want to try short ribs. Anyone have any experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  So, the first go at cooking steaks was a success, at least for me. My wife has not yet reached Sr. Lebowski-level appreciation of medium rare beef.

For my next try (aside from eggs, which I've done a couple of times), I want to try short ribs. Anyone have any experience?
                  What temp did you use?

Have not done short ribs.

Comment

What temp did you use?

Have not done short ribs.
                    I went at 132. I wanted to stay above the 129 range that I would probably prefer, in deference to folks in the household who like their steaks a little more well done (I know, I know), so I used your 134 as a starting point. I dropped it down a couple of degrees because I was cooking filets, and thought that with the lower fat content, I should cook them a little rarer than I would a ribeye or something. The choice of filets was actually also made with my wife/kids in mind. I'll never turn a good filet down, but wouldn't have been my first choice. My wife, though, is not a fan of visible fat, so the filet is more her style.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      I went at 132. I wanted to stay above the 129 range that I would probably prefer, in deference to folks in the household who like their steaks a little more well done (I know, I know), so I used your 134 as a starting point. I dropped it down a couple of degrees because I was cooking filets, and thought that with the lower fat content, I should cook them a little rarer than I would a ribeye or something. The choice of filets was actually also made with my wife/kids in mind. I'll never turn a good filet down, but wouldn't have been my first choice. My wife, though, is not a fan of visible fat, so the filet is more her style.
                      We love filets.

I tried 132 on some filets and there was a difference in the texture. The wife definitely prefers 134. Don't let these folks here scare you. It is still plenty pink and tender and delicious.

Comment

I did some bone-in New Yorks this week. Didn't want to go outside and finish on the grill (lazy), so I finished them on this cast iron grill pan I bought a few years ago:

img28c.jpg

Pre-heat it as you would your outside grill until smoking hot. 15-20 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 15-20 seconds more. Flip. Repeat. I use the Iwatani butane torch to crisp up the fat on the edges at the same time.

20 bucks at Amazon. It's Christmas time, so a easy gift idea suggestion for spouse as a stocking stuffer.

(Edit: pan is also excellent for grilling tuna.)
                        Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 12-10-2016, 11:01 AM.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I did some bone-in New Yorks this week. Didn't want to go outside and finish on the grill (lazy), so I finished them on this cast iron grill pan I bought a few years ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7592[/ATTACH]

Pre-heat it as you would your outside grill until smoking hot. 15-20 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 15-20 seconds more. Flip. Repeat. I use the Iwatani butane torch to crisp up the fat on the edges at the same time.

20 bucks at Amazon. It's Christmas time, so a easy gift idea suggestion for spouse as a stocking stuffer.

Ordered. Thanks.

Comment

I got an enameled grill pan like this from Costco. Highly recommend it.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Ordered. Thanks.
                              Forgot to mention that the Lodge 10" round cast iron fry pan (Model 8SK) fits perfectly inside the 10" square grill pan.

img65o.jpg

During the sear after I put the steaks on the 10" grill pan (and after rotation and after flipping), I set the 10" round pan on top of the steaks briefly and pushed down on the steaks for 5 seconds or so to get a uniform grill mark across the width (or length) of the steak in the grill pan beneath it. I'm compulsive like that.

You probably already have one (super handy pan for home fries or sautéing onions and mushrooms), but if not... just $16 on amazon.

(Edit: Amazon lists the product as 10.25", which I guess is technically true... it does measure 10.25" OD at the top of its tapered sides. The 10" square grill pan is about 10.5" OD at the top of its tapered sides. It works.)
                              Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 12-10-2016, 02:01 PM.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Ordered. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X