• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    Cowboy's friends:
    Pellegrino
    Marsupial
    Rest of the Board

Seriously, y'all need to get out in the country more if this movie affected you.
    The two portions that bothered me the most were the soy bean and the chicken segments. The soy bean thing just pissed me off for some reason. The chicken portion just made me ill. Here in the Philippines chicken is my main meat. Local beef tastes terrible. The chickens breasts are small and I don't think they have anything but free range. They taste pretty good too.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      The two portions that bothered me the most were the soy bean and the chicken segments. The soy bean thing just pissed me off for some reason. The chicken portion just made me ill. Here in the Philippines chicken is my main meat. Local beef tastes terrible. The chickens breasts are small and I don't think they have anything but free range. They taste pretty good too.
      Chicken raising techniques are far, far, far different than beef. While my operation was not commercial, I was involved in and/or knew several commercial beef operations. What cowboy says is my experience as well.

I do think it is good that people realize where food is coming from and have respect for it. That steak was helping some critter move at some point. I have had several vegetarian friends tell me they would eat meat if they could do it the way I did it as a kid - knowing the animal, raising it, and then killing it with knowledge of why they did it. It is a different thing to know your meat than to just impersonally pick it up at the store, even if you only go through that once.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I was most bothered by the info on Smithfield and the way they treat their employees.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Poultry and veal are two aspects of animal agriculture that bother me, I admit. I don't like the idea of spending your entire life in a cage barely big enough to turn around in. Pork and beef are a different story. Nobody in his right mind allows his animals to "wade around in their own excrement." They straw the corrals, scrape them, whatever it takes to get them dry and keep the animals from getting sick.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Poultry and veal are two aspects of animal agriculture that bother me, I admit. I don't like the idea of spending your entire life in a cage barely big enough to turn around in. Pork and beef are a different story. Nobody in his right mind allows his animals to "wade around in their own excrement." They straw the corrals, scrape them, whatever it takes to get them dry and keep the animals from getting sick.
            Veal bothers me so much that I refuse to eat it. It is my one non-WoW moral food stand.

I don't know how I get past poultry, but I do. Maybe if fewer things tasted like chicken....

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              I don't know how I get past poultry, but I do. Maybe if fewer things tasted like chicken....
              It's time to take a stand. Put down the chicken, and pick up the beef.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

It's time to take a stand. Put down the chicken, and pick up the beef.
                I choose beef over chicken whenever I have the choice. You should know that!

Comment

Cowboy's friends:
                  Pellegrino
                  Marsupial
                  Rest of the Board

Seriously, y'all need to get out in the country more if this movie affected you.
                  Cowboy, I served a good chunk of my mission in the areas around Dodge City, Garden City, Holcomb, Cimmaron, etc, in Kansas. I drove past feed lot after feed lot daily. There were slaughterhouses (matanzas) in Dodge City and Garden City that went through thousands of cattle daily. Everyone worked for one or the other.

I ate steak almost daily in Kansas and it was dirt cheap. I loved it. Man, that's the only good thing about that damn state.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    Chicken raising techniques are far, far, far different than beef. While my operation was not commercial, I was involved in and/or knew several commercial beef operations. What cowboy says is my experience as well.

I do think it is good that people realize where food is coming from and have respect for it. That steak was helping some critter move at some point. I have had several vegetarian friends tell me they would eat meat if they could do it the way I did it as a kid - knowing the animal, raising it, and then killing it with knowledge of why they did it. It is a different thing to know your meat than to just impersonally pick it up at the store, even if you only go through that once.
                    I grew up on a farm that averaged about 200 head. Not big but big enough to teach me a good work ethic and a healthy respect for all animals not named snake. I kind of rolled my eyes at the beef section. I have been around too many ranchers to buy what Food Inc was selling. However I know zero chicken farmers so that got to me. And like you, I refuse to eat veal no matter how great it tastes.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

i just cooked up a couple of delicious veal steaks a couple of weeks ago... suffering never tasted so good.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        i just cooked up a couple of delicious veal steaks a couple of weeks ago... suffering never tasted so good.
                        BACK TO YOUR CAGE!*

*You are not pump enough yet
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Cowboy's friends:
                          Pellegrino
                          Marsupial
                          Rest of the Board

Don't take it personal cowboy. If a steady diet of bovine is your criteria for being friends then we just weren't meant to be. My wife just doesn't eat much meat and Italian cuisine (our central diet) doesn't utilize it much either. I didn't eat much meat before the film etc. I realize that the film has a certain agenda and that it reads facts and edits interviews to advance it. I've also spent time in hog and poultry operations (I have cousins that do both) and well . . . I'd like to be friends all the same.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Having read most of Omnivore's Dilemma I think I appreciate a lot more about how basically everything is made out of corn including cows. It hasn't made me want to stop eating anything, but the big insight which had never occurred to me is that to produce that much corn you need fertilizer that can only be produced in a process that requires massive amounts of petrol. Or IOW, the whole system has crude oil at the base of it.

Interesting from the standpoint that whenever we run out, much of the yield boost that technology brings to both corn and cattle will disappear too. Cows will probably then go back to turning the energy in grass into meat instead of turning essentially the energy in petroleum (at bottom) into meat.

Comment

Cowboy's friends:
                              Pellegrino
                              Marsupial
                              Rest of the Board

You'll be happy to know that Marsupial bought beef at the store today.

Comment

Cowboy's friends:
                                Pellegrino
                                Marsupial
                                Rest of the Board

Yes, as danimal said, I broke down and bought beef today. I'm putting my trust in you that those cows are not being mistreated and standing in their own filth and that corn is good for them.
                                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Working...
                                X