Retail Beef Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    This article is kind of funny. Meat stocks are high, but certainly manageable given current demand. Retail prices haven't shown any sign of huge surpluses yet. Specials, ie advertisements and sales, are the canary in the coal mine because they indicate slow movement, and the specials rate is similar to years past for mid to late summer.
    After reading that summary and/or article, I went to Costco yesterday and was surprised to see the tri-tip roasts priced higher than I'd ever seen before (though, to be fair, I didnt really start looking until 2-3 years ago). If the inventory is too high, someone forgot to tell the Costco meat department.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      After reading that summary and/or article, I went to Costco yesterday and was surprised to see the tri-tip roasts priced higher than I'd ever seen before (though, to be fair, I didnt really start looking until 2-3 years ago). If the inventory is too high, someone forgot to tell the Costco meat department.
      Again, probably due to Trumps tariffs
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        It’s almost as if Vox was looking for a way to take a swipe at Trump...
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Again, probably due to Trumps tariffs
        Poor Trump. So picked on!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Beef is also able to be differentiated, and quality and taste are affected by more than genetics. It's one thing to grow a composite beef replacement product to compete with ground beef, but quite another to produce a prime rib the same way. Technology may get there, but I doubt it will in my lifetime. The little I've read from billionaires and journalists who seem so excited about this demonstrates how idiotic people can be even if they are really smart and successful. I'm not saying the idea is a bad one. I'm saying the excitement over ending animal agriculture is naive, to say the least. Still, I'll likely invest heavily in SB startups as soon as they go public - if they are really successful I will need the money I make in stocks to avoid bankruptcy.
          This is exactly what I understand the group my son was looking at has concluded. The SB can compete with hamburger but not steak.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Poor Trump. So picked on!
            That’s exactly what a Trumpologist would say.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              That’s exactly what a Trumpologist would say.
              Trumpologist - One who studies Trump.

Sounds like Frank and BlueK fit the definition.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Trumpologist - One who studies Trump.

Sounds like Frank and BlueK fit the definition.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Its important to use precise language.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    This is exactly what I understand the group my son was looking at has concluded. The SB can compete with hamburger but not steak.
                    Unfortunately, ground beef comprises around 20-30% of the value of a steer. Adding cull and dairy cows, over 40% of the value of beef consumed in the US comes from ground beef. Once synthetic beef is competitive with ground beef it will drastically reduce the value of cattle in the industry, and drive many ranchers out of business. If your son's group is looking for a consultant I will send them a resume - it sounds like I may need to start looking for a job.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Unfortunately, ground beef comprises around 20-30% of the value of a steer. Adding cull and dairy cows, over 40% of the value of beef consumed in the US comes from ground beef. Once synthetic beef is competitive with ground beef it will drastically reduce the value of cattle in the industry, and drive many ranchers out of business. If your son's group is looking for a consultant I will send them a resume - it sounds like I may need to start looking for a job.
                      Ha, I am not sure how far along the investment is. When my son gets back from his current trip I will find out more and let you know if it is interesting.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Retail Beef Outlook

”Impossible burger.” It’s all about the heme. Rest easy, cowboy. It’s hardly indistinguishable from ground beef. It’s closer than anything I’ve ever tasted before, but it’s not the same. I guarantee I could tell the difference 10 out of 10 times in a hamburger application.

Oh, and FDA approval is still a long ways away.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Can anyone confirm whether the new synthburger stuff is, in fact, Soylent Green? I'm about to hit full retirement age and have been wondering what my future holds.

Comment

• I wasn’t sure where to put this but I figure this is as good a place as any.

Mikhaila Peterson, daughter of CS hero Jordan Peterson, is eating nothing but beef and it has cured all her health problems.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_7688Zk6s

http://mikhailapeterson.com

Hope her diet advice (“I’m allergic to everything except beef”) catches on Cowboy.

I’ve gotta say I watched he entire long Joe Rogen interview and I lost some respect for JP that he and his daughter are making these bizarre and clearly completely false connections between mental health and physical health and diet. I went down the internet rabbit hole of reading about nightshades and plant toxins and all kinds of weird ideas about foods. There are some crazy people out there.

Comment

• This could go in the COVID silver linings thread, but you will never see cheaper middle meats (Prime rib, Strips, and Tenderloins) than will be coming to the store in the next few weeks. Without restaurants running, the major outlet for these subprimals is gone, and demand has plummeted. My suggestion is to stock up and throw some in the freezer. Prices on these products may reach par with the end meats like round and chuck before we're through. You can cut your own steaks, so buy the whole subprimal and refreeze what you don't use. Beef can be thawed and refrozen if it isn't ground beef.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Brisket was up to $5.49/pound at Costco on Friday. I'm gonna have to change my cheapskate ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X