You be trippin'?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Thanks. I'm not going to sit in the BYU section, don't like the corner view. Picking up 5 seats from a scalper or online, and sitting amongst the southern gentiles. I was mainly curious why the seats on lower level under press boxes were $60-$75 vs $35 on the opposite side. Other than when I've been given free tix from a player this is by far the cheapest prices I've paid for a road game. I will use the extra $ to invest in some earplugs.
    If you sit on the West side bring sunglasses and sunscreen.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDS DAWG View Post
      If you sit on the West side bring sunglasses and sunscreen.
      Is there any beef between East and West? I know I’m the past getting mixed up in that has been dangerous.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

This. I wasn't praying for the hurricane to do damage to Mississippi, but I would have been fine with a severe weather (and travel) warning. Though, going on roadies are generally fun. I always take at least 1 of my boys with me. This may be the last one with my 17YO for awhile, depending on his mission plans. We will definitely be eating at Rendezvous on Friday. Saturday is still up in the air.
        A couple of things to see in Memphis are they turned the old basketball arena into a Brass Pro Shop and it's amazing, also I would go see the old hotel where Martin Luther King was shot, it really made an impact on me Graceland not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          A couple of things to see in Memphis are they turned the old basketball arena into a Brass Pro Shop and it's amazing, also I would go see the old hotel where Martin Luther King was shot, it really made an impact on me Graceland not so much.
          thanks for the suggestions. Unlike Paul Simon, I really have zero interest in going to Graceland. I would like to visit the Lorraine, both for myself, and mainly my son. I've read several books about Dr. King - he was very complex man.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Is there any beef between East and West? I know I’m the past getting mixed up in that has been dangerous.
            No beef just more sun this time of year.

Comment

• Graceland was seriously the worst. Unless you're a huge fan of the King, it's just not worth it. It's especially crappy when you have a 2 year old whose sole goal is to cross the velvet ropes and go in the restricted areas. It puts an embarrassed parent in a bit of a bind, determining whether they should linger in the no-go zone of the King's bedroom for an extra few seconds, since the parent and its unruly toddler are already on the wrong side of the law, only to be asked to leave the mansion whilst the rest of the poor parent's family tours the effing racquetball court.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Graceland was seriously the worst. Unless you're a huge fan of the King, it's just not worth it. It's especially crappy when you have a 2 year old whose sole goal is to cross the velvet ropes and go in the restricted areas. It puts an embarrassed parent in a bit of a bind, determining whether they should linger in the no-go zone of the King's bedroom for an extra few seconds, since the parent and its unruly toddler are already on the wrong side of the law, only to be asked to leave the mansion whilst the rest of the poor parent's family tours the effing racquetball court.
                It's not worth the price of admission. The airplanes are cool.

Comment

LD,

Do you or anyone know why tickets on the visitors side are less expensive than the home side? I would assume it has to do with either the type of seats, or sun vs shade.
                  I hope you survive the heat and sun Saturday. It was brutal for me and I live here. Wasn't a good day for Garment wearing.

Comment

• The game sucked. No need to rehash that. Other impressions from the trip

* Mississippi is rural. Like Montana with trees and humidity rural. I was shocked at how little there was between Memphis and Starkville. On the way home we went through several small (population under 1500) towns see Oxford.
                    * Starkville (or as the local says it Stalk- veell) is about the size of Spanish Fork. It is amazing they have a university there. There really is almost nothing else in the town - kind of reminds me of Pullman, WA. Oxford was more of what I expected the college town to look like - older southern architecture.
                    * Everyone was super friendly - except our waiter at the Rendevous. I'm wondering if he was related to whoever Kai Nacua sucker punched
                    * The cowbells are annoying as hell. I was impressed at how they were shaken in unison at different times.
                    * Judging from my son and nephew's eyes the girls were some of the cutest of any roadie we've taken. Though that have more to with it being 90 degrees and lots of Daisy Dukes >>>> 5 layers in Michigan, Nebraska, or Indiana
                    * Biggest surprise is how white the fanbase is. 99 % Caucasian in the stadium.
                    * Seeing the Lorraine Motel was very memorable for my brother and me. To our boys it was the same as seeing Abraham Lincoln or JFK. So much before their lifetime, it's just a name.
                    * Driving by cotton fields in bloom, had the opposite effect on me. It brought on a sense of melancholy. It is hard to imagine what may have happened in some of those fields, in the not-so-distant past.

Overall it was a good weekend with horrible game sandwiched in.

Comment

• Comment

The game sucked. No need to rehash that. Other impressions from the trip

* Mississippi is rural. Like Montana with trees and humidity rural. I was shocked at how little there was between Memphis and Starkville. On the way home we went through several small (population under 1500) towns see Oxford.
                        * Starkville (or as the local says it Stalk- veell) is about the size of Spanish Fork. It is amazing they have a university there. There really is almost nothing else in the town - kind of reminds me of Pullman, WA. Oxford was more of what I expected the college town to look like - older southern architecture.
                        * Everyone was super friendly - except our waiter at the Rendevous. I'm wondering if he was related to whoever Kai Nacua sucker punched
                        * The cowbells are annoying as hell. I was impressed at how they were shaken in unison at different times.
                        * Judging from my son and nephew's eyes the girls were some of the cutest of any roadie we've taken. Though that have more to with it being 90 degrees and lots of Daisy Dukes >>>> 5 layers in Michigan, Nebraska, or Indiana
                        * Biggest surprise is how white the fanbase is. 99 % Caucasian in the stadium.
                        * Seeing the Lorraine Motel was very memorable for my brother and me. To our boys it was the same as seeing Abraham Lincoln or JFK. So much before their lifetime, it's just a name.
                        * Driving by cotton fields in bloom, had the opposite effect on me. It brought on a sense of melancholy. It is hard to imagine what may have happened in some of those fields, in the not-so-distant past.

Overall it was a good weekend with horrible game sandwiched in.
                        No memphis bbq?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Who's the guy in the clown shirt showing the double 'loser' sign?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            No memphis bbq?
                            Ate at the Rendvous and walked around Beale St. BBQ was great. Though not as good as the Salt Lick, IMO.

Comment

Ate at the Rendvous and walked around Beale St. BBQ was great. Though not as good as the Salt Lick, IMO.
                              I hope you had a good time at the game. The crowd was very small but I think that had to do with start time and heat. That is the smallest crowd I have seen in a long time. I saw several people with Utah shirt. What was up with that? That is like me wearing a Miss State shirt to LSU vs Ole Miss at LSU. Also did you get into the book store and buy anything? I saw a lot of little kids with BYU shirts opening up a cow bell box. I thought that was pretty cool.

The heat was horrible and felt sorry for the BYU defense. I figured many of them served missions here in the South and knew what to expect.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDS DAWG View Post
                                I hope you had a good time at the game. The crowd was very small but I think that had to do with start time and heat. That is the smallest crowd I have seen in a long time. I saw several people with Utah shirt. What was up with that? That is like me wearing a Miss State shirt to LSU vs Ole Miss at LSU. Also did you get into the book store and buy anything? I saw a lot of little kids with BYU shirts opening up a cow bell box. I thought that was pretty cool.

The heat was horrible and felt sorry for the BYU defense. I figured many of them served missions here in the South and knew what to expect.
                                We can't figure it out either.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X