The official airport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official airport thread

This thread is to post your observations, tips, complaints, etc. about various international airports as the CUF membership travels the globe.

ATL (Atlanta, GA for those who don't travel so much as to have airport codes memorized)

1. No free wi-fi. Lame.
    2. The Wi-Fi in the Sky Club sucks.
    3. I'm not hungry but I did notice a Nathan's in Concourse T so that is solid. It seems that airport food in general is on the upswing.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

ATL is huge. Isn't it the busiest in the world?

Although not international, my home airport is OMA. I like that I can show up 45 minutes before departure and not be nervous about checking in or making it through security on time. I also like that I never have to wait for a cab (except last weekend when all the Buffett wannabes were in town).

DEN is exactly the opposite. Security lines are horrendous. Although if you go over the ped bridge between check in and concourse A instead of getting in the stockyard lines on the lower level, it usually goes faster and the lines are considerably shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Although not international, my home airport is OMA. I like that I can show up 45 minutes before departure and not be nervous about checking in or making it through security on time. I also like that I never have to wait for a cab (except last weekend when all the Buffett wannabes were in town).

DEN is exactly the opposite. Security lines are horrendous. Although if you go over the ped bridge between check in and concourse A instead of getting in the stockyard lines on the lower level, it usually goes faster and the lines are considerably shorter.
      Athens, Greece (ATH).

I flew today from Athens to Kavala, Greece. Athens has one of the most convenient airports in Europe. Although the Greeks aren't really known for efficiency, they have the airport down cold. Easy access to public transportation into town, signage in English and Greek, plenty of security lines to keep people moving through quickly. Bravo.

Also, the Olympic Air flight attendants are straight out of the 1950s. Smoking hot women wearing stylish uniforms, complete with shoulder-kerchiefs and rakishly worn hats.
      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        That's what they say. In fact the in-flight magazine this month has something about it and says Delta hit a milestone where they boarded 2M passengers at ATL in one month.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Tel Aviv. Based on last week's experience, I'd say their security procedures aren't as intense as advertised, unless you're black or Arab-looking. My wife and I sailed through while our swarthier fellow passengers received quite thorough searches of their luggage and persons. The Israelis are untroubled by concerns about racial profiling. Our procedure was not much different than at SFO.

Food selection was spare, and a bit pricey. I paid ten bucks for a fresh OJ and a brownie. Free WiFi, but there was little else to pass the time.

The security procedures at Rome's Fiumicino were very light (almost alarmingly so) and the food selection, while greater than those in Israel, was unimpressive. WiFi must be purchased.

Speaking of food, if you're planning on flying internationally out of ORD's terminal 5, your only option is a kiosk whose bill o' fare is dwarfed by your average high school gym's snack bar. Stock up beforehand, or dine in one of the other terminals where there are some decent restaurants. We were unable to return to the terminal whence we came where there was a Macaroni Grill, which we looked back on as if it were The French Laundry.

Comment

Eldorado International Airport-- Bogota, Colombia (BOG)

These guys are hardcore. They demonstrate zero compunction with dumping out the contents of your suitcase and rifling through them by hand. They also have dudes in the middle of the walkways trying to make eye contact with you -- presumably looking for you to tip them off with nonverbal cues if you have drugs in your butthole.

Otherwise, clean and pleasant, as South American airports go.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Buffalo, NY (BUF) was a pleasant enough airport to arrive at. Didn't spend much time there though. One bonus ... the rental cars are in the parking garage.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Tel Aviv. Based on last week's experience, I'd say their security procedures aren't as intense as advertised, unless you're black or Arab-looking. My wife and I sailed through while our swarthier fellow passengers received quite thorough searches of their luggage and persons. The Israelis are untroubled by concerns about racial profiling. Our procedure was not much different than at SFO.

Food selection was spare, and a bit pricey. I paid ten bucks for a fresh OJ and a brownie. Free WiFi, but there was little else to pass the time.
                My wife and I were questioned thoroughly at both Tel Aviv and Eilat in Israel. By thoroughly I mean the guy checking our passports asked several quesitons about where we had been and why we were in Israel. I have been told that if you seem to have difficulty answering or your story changes during questioning, you are subject to additional quesitoning by other personnel. They did ask the same quesitons a couple different ways, I am assuming looking for inconsistencies.

Also, they x-ray all luggage and then question you about contents if they see something. My wife had collected sea shells and sand at the Sea of Galilee to make Christmas ornaments for friends and family. She had it stored in several plastic bottles. After our luggage went through the machine, they pulled it aside and pulled us out of line for questioning about the bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Eldorado International Airport-- Bogota, Colombia (BOG)

These guys are hardcore. They demonstrate zero compunction with dumping out the contents of your suitcase and rifling through them by hand. They also have dudes in the middle of the walkways trying to make eye contact with you -- presumably looking for you to tip them off with nonverbal cues if you have drugs in your butthole.

Otherwise, clean and pleasant, as South American airports go.
                  Careful. I don't want to see you featured on an episode of Locked Up Abroad next season.

Comment

Flew out of the new SGU (St. George) this morning. Nice little airport waaaay outside of town. If UDOT ever finds the money to finish Southern Parkway, I'm sure we'll see development out there.

*humblebrag* I designed several of the bridges on the portion of Southern Parkway that has already been built, so it was nice to finally see them.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

The security procedures at Rome's Fiumicino were very light (almost alarmingly so) and the food selection, while greater than those in Israel, was unimpressive. WiFi must be purchased.

Speaking of food, if you're planning on flying internationally out of ORD's terminal 5, your only option is a kiosk whose bill o' fare is dwarfed by your average high school gym's snack bar. Stock up beforehand, or dine in one of the other terminals where there are some decent restaurants. We were unable to return to the terminal whence we came where there was a Macaroni Grill, which we looked back on as if it were The French Laundry.
                      I wish. They confiscated a small bottle of balsamic vinagrette I had forgotten was in my carry-on. You know how much that stuff costs?!?
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I wish. They confiscated a small bottle of balsamic vinagrette I had forgotten was in my carry-on. You know how much that stuff costs?!?
                        That reminded me of a time I traveled out of SLC with a guy who is quite the U-Mo. He had a jar of jam with him that his wife had canned at the cannery. It got confiscated and he starts arguing with TSA about how it was from the church cannery, a RS activity where they made it, etc.

Comment

Charlotte (CLT) has free Wifi and they have wooden rocking chairs so you can sit down and get comfortable while browsing CUF.
                          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

If you're ever flying international through Toronto, make sure your layover is at least an hour. You have to pick up your luggage when you land there, and go through inspections again. If you're flying to the states, you also go through customs there. We had a 2 hour layover planned layover, which decreased to 1 hour because of a flight delay. We waited 20 minutes for our bag to show up on the carousel, then waited 30 minutes in the customs line. We just barely made our connecting flight.

I don't know of any other airport that does this.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              That reminded me of a time I traveled out of SLC with a guy who is quite the U-Mo. He had a jar of jam with him that his wife had canned at the cannery. It got confiscated and he starts arguing with TSA about how it was from the church cannery, a RS activity where they made it, etc.
                              Yeah, I believe that.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X