Two hour church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Is SLC the last one live? I wondered if they would go looking for people who could act when trying to fill those spots.
    I have told the story before about a session in SLC where satan and another character got in an argument over whether certain lines had been spoken correctly or at all. It says all you need to know about me that it is one of my most memorable temple experiences.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I have told the story before about a session in SLC where satan and another character got in an argument over whether certain lines had been spoken correctly or at all. It says all you need to know about me that it is one of my most memorable temple experiences.
      I remember that story. Funny stuff. This also reminds me of a story my dad tells about an eventful trip he and my mom had to the OG(den) temple back in the day. I don't have time to post it now (depositions!) but i'll type it up later today.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
        I don't know about the cost/expenses either way.

It strikes me in this and other conversations that change is so rare in the LDS culture that a reduction in meeting time is a really big deal to a lot of people.
        If 2-hour church is the magic key to someone finding God, then I guess it's a good thing.

I'm not sure that an hour a week is going to move the needle much either way, but I like to think that this reduction in meeting-time is an acknowledgement that going to church doesn't please God / bring salvation / demonstrate righteousness.

Being a good person pleases God / brings salvation / demonstrates righteousness.
        Then why do we still have 2 hours?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Isn't that pretty much what RMN said? Wasn't that the underlying thrust of his remarks about the purpose for this change? Unlike you, he would add saving ordinances and certain acts of priesthood authority, but in general, isnt that what he was saying?
          This wasn't directed to me, but I got the complete opposite message. The message I got is that God is fixated on the details, and he's offended when we don't take them as seriously as he does. Of course Nelson believes that there's more to being a good person than observing all the details of ordinances and whatnot, but it's also obvious that his idea of a good person is framed in a rigid definition of church worship.

I remember LOLing at that. Great story.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Projections in terms of the new revenues the remodeled temple will be bringing in? Negative something million, I'd guess? I don't know what kind of money the Church would bring in on a real estate project, but I'm sure there's just a giant conspiracy or impropriety just beyond sight that will help you feel better about not being a part of this.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              This wasn't directed to me, but I got the complete opposite message. The message I got is that God is fixated on the details, and he's offended when we don't take them as seriously as he does. Of course Nelson believes that there's more to being a good person than observing all the details of ordinances and whatnot, but it's also obvious that his idea of a good person is framed in a rigid definition of church worship.
              WHen he and Cook introduced the two hour plan I heard the precise opposite. It was all about reminding us that we need to be 'religious' in our homes, in our lives and in our families. That going to church is an adjunct to living the gospel at home. That being a faithful member is about living like Christ.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Projections in terms of the new revenues the remodeled temple will be bringing in? Negative something million, I'd guess? I don't know what kind of money the Church would bring in on a real estate project, but I'm sure there's just a giant conspiracy or impropriety just beyond sight that will help you feel better about not being a part of this.
                maybe they're making the cafeteria into a food court
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

WHen he and Cook introduced the two hour plan I heard the precise opposite. It was all about reminding us that we need to be 'religious' in our homes, in our lives and in our families. That going to church is an adjunct to living the gospel at home. That being a faithful member is about living like Christ.
                  Wait, I'm sorry. I only listened to Nelson's Sunday morning talk. I thought you were referring to that. My bad, I should've read more carefully.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    I remember that story. Funny stuff. This also reminds me of a story my dad tells about an eventful trip he and my mom had to the OG(den) temple back in the day. I don't have time to post it now (depositions!) but i'll type it up later today.
                    don't forget!
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      I wondered if they would go looking for people who could act when trying to fill those spots.
                      Having been to multiple sessions in the SLC temple, I can assure you that acting skills are not high on the list when looking for people to fill those roles.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Having been to multiple sessions in the SLC temple, I can assure you that acting skills are not high on the list when looking for people to fill those roles.
                        I've only done one session there. Much less theatrical than I was expecting. Also, what's up with Adam and Eve having clothing in the Garden?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          I've only done one session there. Much less theatrical than I was expecting. Also, what's up with Adam and Eve having clothing in the Garden?
                          to keep me from getting sick.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Because it’s expensive to clean throw up out of carpet
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              don't forget!
                              Over the years, depositions have robbed this board of a lot of content.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                                Over the years, depositions have robbed this board of a lot of content.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X