I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Running a meeting too long is dumb. So is walking out if it goes long.
    Sacrament meeting is debatable for waking out of.

If people would actually leave when the meeting is supposed to end maybe those is charge would learn.

Comment

• Ordinarily, I strongly concur with CA’s assessment that meetings going OT are toxic. Today’s F&T meeting was a very notable exception. Our former bishop, in his mid-50s, is in the final stages of cancer but nonetheless he struggled up to the stand. Looking very gaunt and obviously winded from the walk, he spoke about his love for the ward and essentially said good-bye. He said he was deeply concerned that many people who had been praying for him and his family might conclude in the coming weeks that their prayers had not been answered, and that would be very wrong. He spoke of how his relationships with his immediate and extended family had been strengthened tremendously and that the love and support he and his wife had received in recent weeks had surpassed anything they had ever experienced or expected. I can’t do justice to the simple eloquence of what he said, but I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house other than his as he spoke without a hint of self-pity.

With a half hour or so left in the meeting, I feared his testimony, which was among the most powerful and moving I have ever heard, would be diminished by either maudlin or ovely emotional expressions of sympathy, or by completely unrelated and trivial expressions by unthinking congregants. But those who followed were pretty much spot on in expressing faith, sympathy and love in ways that were very moving. I don’t recall ever wanting a testimony meeting to go overtime, but I was actually disappointed it had to end.

Anyway, in Church today I learned how better to face death with strength, faith and grace.

Comment

• I wonder how many of those who demand that the meeting end on time are in their seats right when the meeting begins.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I appreciate PAC's post, and the other sentiments expressed. I might add my own story from today.

I was dressed and ready to go 20 minutes before we needed to leave, but our DS daughter was not cooperating and we were woefully late. So late that we got there with only 15 minutes left in the meeting. My wife didn't even want to go in the chapel and went right to the Primary room to set up. I took our daughter into meeting and we had to sit down near the front. At the top of the hour - after having been there five minutes - I looked at my watch and wondered how long this meeting was going to last, and then I remembered that we just got there.

Funny thing, time and space.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I learned about Jonas and the shark while I refreshed my phone to get BYU Arizona updates.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Ordinarily, I strongly concur with CA’s assessment that meetings going OT are toxic. Today’s F&T meeting was a very notable exception. Our former bishop, in his mid-50s, is in the final stages of cancer but nonetheless he struggled up to the stand. Looking very gaunt and obviously winded from the walk, he spoke about his love for the ward and essentially said good-bye. He said he was deeply concerned that many people who had been praying for him and his family might conclude in the coming weeks that their prayers had not been answered, and that would be very wrong. He spoke of how his relationships with his immediate and extended family had been strengthened tremendously and that the love and support he and his wife had received in recent weeks had surpassed anything they had ever experienced or expected. I can’t do justice to the simple eloquence of what he said, but I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house other than his as he spoke without a hint of self-pity.

With a half hour or so left in the meeting, I feared his testimony, which was among the most powerful and moving I have ever heard, would be diminished by either maudlin or ovely emotional expressions of sympathy, or by completely unrelated and trivial expressions by unthinking congregants. But those who followed were pretty much spot on in expressing faith, sympathy and love in ways that were very moving. I don’t recall ever wanting a testimony meeting to go overtime, but I was actually disappointed it had to end.

Anyway, in Church today I learned how better to face death with strength, faith and grace.
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              I wonder how many of those who demand that the meeting end on time are in their seats right when the meeting begins.
              Oh man. Both of these really hit close to home. PAC, thank you for triggering many very special memories of similar meetings with similar expressions towards my father when he was so sick as a bishop.

We managed to make it to 9:00 testimony meeting. This mid year time change/activity day of the week change is taking me a few weeks to adjust to. One of our 8 year olds shared a story of how her family had gone down to Fremont Street to do the zip line for her brother’s birthday and how disgusted she was about how immodestly dressed everyone was and drinking alcohol and using really bad language. I can’t imagine her experience had Glitter Gulch still been open. By the time we got everyone in the car as I looked at each one, it really restrengthened my testimony that my family just isn’t built for the whole three hour block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I wonder how many of those who demand that the meeting end on time are in their seats right when the meeting begins.
                I was 20 minutes early. First week in a newly formed ward and I am not about to let some other family set a precedent of sitting in my favorite pew.

Comment

• Love PAC's post.

Comment

• Primary Program Sacrament Meeting today. Simply awesome.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      Primary Program Sacrament Meeting today. Simply awesome.
                      Jealous. Every sacrament speaker today got to speak on how important it was to follow the recently-updated Style Guide.

Comment

Ours is in two weeks. We're practicing the whole month in preparation. It's a lot easier teaching the five year olds when we only have half an hour for the lesson than a full hour.

I'm expecting the actual program to be a bit disorganized, and all of the parents will love it anyway.

Comment

• mrs smr is watching the ed pinegar sac meeting on KBYU right now. if you want to see a young Mark Eubank speak, turn it on!
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• https://twitter.com/DurrantGeorge/st...810607105?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              Ours is in two weeks. We're practicing the whole month in preparation. It's a lot easier teaching the five year olds when we only have half an hour for the lesson than a full hour.

I'm expecting the actual program to be a bit disorganized, and all of the parents will love it anyway.
                              Our program actually went very well - way better than I had expected. The kids sang all of the songs loudly enough and the speaking parts went pretty smoothly. The kids in my class had more wiggles that I would have liked, but I still love them all anyway.

They gave them all ice cream with special toppings after, then they ran around on the grass for half an hour. It was a bit tougher teaching them a lesson after all of that, but we got through it and the kids were all happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                                Our program actually went very well - way better than I had expected. The kids sang all of the songs loudly enough and the speaking parts went pretty smoothly. The kids in my class had more wiggles that I would have liked, but I still love them all anyway.

They gave them all ice cream with special toppings after, then they ran around on the grass for half an hour. It was a bit tougher teaching them a lesson after all of that, but we got through it and the kids were all happy.
                                My ambition as a primary teacher was two fold. Teach them the lesson of the day.... and teach them in a way that they want to come back next week. No kid should hate going to church. Church can be enjoyable.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X