The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Write up a warrant... She may be all infected with Covid-19 and stuff. Live to fight another day.

A warrant for resisting arrest would mess her sh*t up. Maybe by the time she finds out that she has a serious warrant on her record she would have grown a brain and turned herself in.
    What makes you think she won't end up with a record?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      She didn't have any outstanding warrants before this. That says something.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Dude, I almost always side against the cops in these instances (I also think it's interesting how folks on this board with family ties to law enforcement almost always side with the cops). But in this case, I'm firmly on Team Cop.

I do think the cop moved pretty quickly from her refusal to sign to "go ahead and step out of the car", but once he told her she was under arrest, everything that happened after that is on her (from the video on CNN's website):

He told her she was under arrest at :42.
        He told her to step out at :42
        again at :44
        again at :46
        again at :47
        again at :48 where he explicitly tells her he's giving her a lawful order.
        So what does she do? She rolls up her window and potentially locks her door!

At :58 he explicitly warns her to not take off.
        At 1:02 he tells her to step out again
        Again at 1:03
        So what does she do? She flees. She continues to flee a cop with lights and sirens for 4 minutes!

He tells her at 1:34 to get out of the car
        again at 1:37
        again at 1:39
        again at 1:41.
        When he finally gets her door open to remove her at 1:44
        What does she do? She fights back and hits at him!

He tells her to put her hands behind her back at 1:49,
        again at 1:50
        What does she do? she kicks him at 1:56!

He starts pulling his taser out at 1:57
        he fires it at 2:00 as she's still actively getting up
        he orders her at 2:05 to again put her hands behind her back (admittedly that's probably pretty hard to do when you're getting tased)
        again at 2:10
        again at 2:14.

And you think she got humiliated? The humiliation she suffered was completely self-inflicted.

When you say, "she can pay the price for her behavior", which "behavior" are you talking about? The behavior of driving around with a smashed in tail light for 6 months? If so, I agree. The price of that behavior was $80, but she obviously didn't want to pay that price.

Or are you talking about the price of all her behavior after :42? The price for all that behavior is exactly what she got. She's lucky she didn't pay the price of taking a bullet after she kicked the cop "because she's a country girl".

Sorry man, you're just flat out wrong on this one.
        If I was on the jury for this one I would think the cop used excessive, unnecessary force for a stupid $80 ticket from video evidence. But to make sure I would ask the judge to have the taser demonstrated on the cop to see if he would piss his pants too. If he did piss his pants then I would side with the lady if her claim was the cop was too rough with her but wouldn’t give her a pass on the broken tail light charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Someone like me on her jury. ^^^^
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If I was on the jury for this one I would think the cop used excessive, unnecessary force for a stupid $80 ticket from video evidence. But to make sure I would ask the judge to have the taser demonstrated on the cop to see if he would piss his pants too. If he did piss his pants then I would side with the lady if her claim was the cop was too rough with her but wouldn’t give her a pass on the broken tail light charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            You think he used force on her for an $80 ticket? If so, you've got to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

I think he used force on her for refusing a lawful order, resisting arrest, assault, etc.

Comment

You think he used force on her for an $80 ticket? If so, you've got to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

I think he used force on her for refusing a lawful order, resisting arrest, assault, etc.
              All of which started with an $80 ticket.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                All of which started with an $80 ticket.
                I am solidly on your side about this, at least philosophically. Cop interactions with the citizenry should be kept at a necessary minimum. Any small infractions that don’t affect public safety should be kept out of their purview. All it takes is for either the cop or the citizen (or both) to have a bad day, and something escalates tragically from an expired tag.

If it’s important for the state to require plates and tags, then send people who don’t pay to collections. Stop using cops to enforce bill paying.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah, she was obviously hot headed and not thinking straight. There is no reason to escalate a situation like this as a cop if they don't have to. She didn't murder someone or something. Someone that is upset like this may have just thrown the car into reverse and ran the cop dude over before he could get off more than two shots. Crazy, upset people are unpredictable. A lot of cops like their power trips but it doesn't help the situation. Just write her up for the warrant and then go bust out someone else's tail light for the next ticket.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, she was obviously hot headed and not thinking straight. There is no reason to escalate a situation like this as a cop if they don't have to. She didn't murder someone or something. Someone that is upset like this may have just thrown the car into reverse and ran the cop dude over before he could get off more than two shots. Crazy, upset people are unpredictable. A lot of cops like their power trips but it doesn't help the situation. Just write her up for the warrant and then go bust out someone else's tail light for the next ticket.
                    Yes, of course. If someone is hot-headed then the cops should just back off and not do anything. Let her drive off, etc. As long as she didn't murder anyone.

This is why people complain about white privilege.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                      Sorry. The cop should be disciplined. That's absurd. He scared her and she agreed to sign the ticket. Move on and don't let it escalate to that.

(It's opinions like this that explain my kids behavior.)
                      Oh brother.
                      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Yes, of course. If someone is hot-headed then the cops should just back off and not do anything. Let her drive off, etc. As long as she didn't murder anyone.

Yeah, c'mon people. If this had been a black woman, or hispanic woman, in the hood, most people now talking about police over-reach would be rejecting the calls of racism and talking about how "people need to stop when the police tell you to do so." Had it been an illegal alien, then it would go on Trumps wall of fame of how immigration is destroying America.

Just sign the paper.

I laughed as she was rolling around on the ground after being tased. Still makes me chuckle.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Yeah, if she was seen going into houses under construction he should have just shot her right then and there with the good gun.

She didn't get off for the $80 ticket... and she is a white woman! And she would have a warrant for her arrest on her record on top of that. Are you saying if she was black and a man the cop would have just shot her for not signing the $80 ticket? If so, I don't think you have a dark enough sun tan and a long enough penis to be saying stuff like that.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, if she was seen going into houses under construction he should have just shot her right then and there with the good gun.

She didn't get off for the $80 ticket... and she is a white woman! And she would have a warrant for her arrest on her record on top of that. Are you saying if she was black and a man the cop would have just shot her for not signing the $80 ticket? If so, I don't think you have a dark enough sun tan and a long enough penis to be saying stuff like that.
                            What about girth?

Sorry. Silicon Valley is still on my mind.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

No, she didn't get off. But you all are outraged that she wasn't allowed to behave the way she did and just drive off.

What the hell good does a warrant for an arrest do for her when you believe she should be able to resist arrest without consequence? Lol. That is ridiculous.

Comment

• I'll pick up the ACLU cudgel for a moment. This reminds me a little of the incident with which Malcolm Gladwell begins and ends his book Talking to Strangers in which a cop and a young black woman both overreact to a situation because of preconceived notions and prejudices, and a simple situation worsens quickly into a fatality. Although the woman was more at fault in this instance, with the benefit of several minutes to think about this (something the officer unfortunately didn't have), I would have let her go because (i) he already had all the information he needed to cite her, including videographic evidence, so her signature was unnecessary and there was no reason to insist on one, and (ii) neither the nature of her violation nor her initial state of mind posed a threat to herself, the officer, or the public. If the fine(s) aren't paid on time, they can impound her vehicle without her willing participation. She was wrong, and this doesn't rise to the level of a cause celebre, but the officer had all he needed and should have let her return to her lair.
                                Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 05-22-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X