The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    the standard for libel is pretty high in this case because Gabbard as a member of Congress qualifies as a public official. She'd have to prove that Clinton knows for a fact Gabbard is not a Russian asset but said she was anyway. I don't know how you really prove what's in Clinton's head. Then she'd have to show she was damaged by it, which would also be hard to prove since it's getting her favorable publicity on the right and gigs on Fox news.
    Oh brother. I think it is pretty clear Tulsi is doing this to run interference for her buddy Bernie, not because she actually thinks she has a case. Gabbard is persona non grata with the Dem party since she resigned from the DNC in 2016. As long as she stays in, she is the lightning rod for attacks that would otherwise be directed at Bernie.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• This is a great exchange.

That guy is absolutely right.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        This is a great exchange.

That guy is absolutely right.
        LOL... that is going to make for some good memes:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          You don't really believe that, do you? That this is only about "hurt feelings"?
          What else is it about? Since when do political candidates go around suing their critics? Entitled whiny baby behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            What else is it about? Since when do political candidates go around suing their critics? Entitled whiny baby behavior.
            It kind of sounds like what we have been hearing from those whiny baby house managers the last few days telling the senate:

OK, we don't have a high crime or even a crime that Drumpf did but here's what we got:

Article 1: Drumpf bad.

Article 2: Drumpf hurt our feelings.

Therefore, we want you to do our jobs for us and call some more witnesses and get some emails to find a crime that bad orange man committed. BTW, we are taking away your cell phones... and don't any of you think about leaving. That includes you, Feinstein!
            Speaking of those whiny house managers...

OMG, they were withholding aid from the Ukraine... those basturds!
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              LOL... that is going to make for some good memes:

Ted, awesome. Elizabeth Warren is such a dolt.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Ted, awesome. Elizabeth Warren is such a dolt.
                This loan forgiveness thing makes my blood boil.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  This loan forgiveness thing makes my blood boil.
                  Agreed. I was talking with one of my most liberal friends. She also didn't understand how anyone could think it was a good idea.

Comment

• How does everyone feel about bankruptcy?

Comment

How does everyone feel about bankruptcy?
                      I'd prefer not to declare it. You?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I save my money and don't take out loans I can't pay back so I can avoid it. How do you feel about it?
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

i think college loans should be able to be discharged in bankruptcy just like any other loan. It would change the market and rates for college debt but that is OK.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

You don't get the purpose of bankruptcy, do you? Bankruptcy was actually a purely American innovation to encourage entrepreneurship. It's actually one of the reasons America is so successful and this law has been imitated everywhere. A law or policy to blanket forgive student loans has absolutely nothing to do with bankruptcy. It's just Elizabeth Warren trying to get votes by promising free stuff to Millennials. She doesn't even believe in this. She believes in nothing. She's an empty suit.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I can accept people that declare bankruptcy due to some catastrophic circumstances in their life/financial situation, especially if due to obligations they didn't willingly take on. Hypothetical example: Random person slips on homeowner's sidewalk and wins a liability suit against homeowner (and potentially homeowner's insurance company) for tons of money. Homeowner's insurance covers some of it but homeowner is held responsible for a chunk as well. Homeowner doesn't have significant savings and declares bankruptcy to protect herself from barracuda creditors.

I have a real hard time accepting bankruptcy for people who make poor decisions to run up tons of consumer debt and use bankruptcy as a means to avoid obligations they willingly took on. Real-world example: My deadbeat Sister-in-law and her husband have made piss-poor financial decisions their whole life. Taking on mountains of debt to fuel a lifestyle they have no business living. They can't pay a mortgage but they somehow manage to drop thousands on World Series tickets for their favorite team. They don't have any savings but when Gradma (my wife's mom) gives each of her kids a $10K gift they take a trip to Cancun.

What did Mrs. Meanie and I do with the $10k? We put it in our kids' 529 accounts. (EDIT: In Liz Warren's world, I'm a sucker for doing so. I should have taken the 10k and gone to Cancun and let my kids take out massive student loans and try to get "the rich" to pay for it all by "paying their fair share"). Fast forward a couple of years and now deadbeat and her deadbeat husband borrow $30K off grandma, and somehow manage to get a loan of $50K from some other lender, and buy a bakery. Do they have any experience running a bakery or any type of business? Nope. Did they do any due diligence on the bakery, any market analysis, any type of thought beyond "Hey, wanna buy that bakery? Hmm, sure why not? Let's hit up Grandma for some dough" (get it? dough?). Not that I could tell.

Surprise surprise, the bakery that was in business for 15 years before them goes out of business in 8 months under their management. So the $50K creditor comes calling. Do they go and get real jobs and work to pay off their debt? Nope. "Whee! Let's just declare bankruptcy so we don't have to be responsible for our actions!". So they file bankruptcy. Grandma got screwed out her $30K. The judge gave the creditor pennies on the dollar. The only consequence to deadbeat? The judge made them move from their expensive rental to a more downsized rental.

So that's how I feel about bankruptcy. A solution that should be used as sparingly as possible and certainly not to relieve people of the consequences of their poor financial decisions while subsidizing a lifestyle they can't afford.
                              Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                You don't get the purpose of bankruptcy, do you? Bankruptcy was actually a purely American innovation to encourage entrepreneurship. It's actually one of the reasons America is so successful and this law has been imitated everywhere. A law or policy to blanket forgive student loans has absolutely nothing to do with bankruptcy. It's just Elizabeth Warren trying to get votes by promising free stuff to Millennials. She doesn't even believe in this. She believes in nothing. She's an empty suit.
                                Exactly. It is lunacy and outrageously unfair to people who have scraped their way to save for college and pay off debt.

Comment

Working...
                                X