No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife and I stumbled onto a movie called The Peanut Butter Falcon on Google Play last night. It is about a guy with down's syndrome who escapes from a facility in a desire to go see a pro wrestler. He meets a drifter played by Shia Lebouf and they go on a Huck-and-Finn style adventure. My wife and I both loved it. 97% RT and 7.7 IMDB. Beautiful story.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      My wife and I stumbled onto a movie called The Peanut Butter Falcon on Google Play last night. It is about a guy with down's syndrome who escapes from a facility in a desire to go see a pro wrestler. He meets a drifter played by Shia Lebouf and they go on a Huck-and-Finn style adventure. My wife and I both loved it. 97% RT and 7.7 IMDB. Beautiful story.
      ! I saw a featurette on this and made a note to see it. Thanks for the reminder.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Watched First Man with the Mrs. the other night. Too long. I was fighting off the urge to go all Moliere on the movie.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

My wife and I stumbled onto a movie called The Peanut Butter Falcon on Google Play last night. It is about a guy with down's syndrome who escapes from a facility in a desire to go see a pro wrestler. He meets a drifter played by Shia Lebouf and they go on a Huck-and-Finn style adventure. My wife and I both loved it. 97% RT and 7.7 IMDB. Beautiful story.
          yep it is fantastic
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I enjoyed it as well. I thought Lebouf and the main actor did great. I also thought it did a decent job at capturing some of elements of being a social worker.

Comment

• I absolutely hate sports movies, and I hate even more the sport of auto racing. Loved F v. F. That movie was fun. Heard that the real Leo Otto was actually a fixer and someone Deuce could trust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                ! I saw a featurette on this and made a note to see it. Thanks for the reminder.
                Likewise

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  I absolutely hate sports movies, and I hate even more the sport of auto racing. Loved F v. F. That movie was fun. Heard that the real Leo Otto was actually a fixer and someone Deuce could trust.
                  Are you talking about Leo Beebe? The guy I kept wanting to punch? They made it pretty clear that Deuce trusted him more than Shelby, for whatever reason. But that guy was a turd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    I absolutely hate sports movies, and I hate even more the sport of auto racing. Loved F v. F. That movie was fun. Heard that the real Leo Otto was actually a fixer and someone Deuce could trust.
                    What is wrong with you, KL?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      Saw JoJo Rabbit and loved. It packed a bit an emotional wallop that I didn’t expect. Highly recommend it.
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Same, though I would say I loved the experience of watching it more than I loved the movie itself, if that makes sense. That movie’s ability to make me burst out laughing one second and then whiplashing to a serious scene is something I haven’t experienced in a long time. Neither Mrs. NWC nor I really knew what to expect going in, but I did have a general idea of some of the parody involved. The whole bizarreness of it all really threw her off, which affected her opinion of it.

Highly recommended. If nothing else, you will not see anything like it for a long time.
                      I will add my voice to this. Jojo was excellent. This is the type of film that is in danger of dying out as studios focus only on profits and end up making 22 marvel movies (not saying those shouldn't be made).
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Sports movies are all the same: plucky team with little talent but big hearts persevere against the cold, robotic team predicted to win. The last scene always devolves into slo-mo cutscene in the game/race/boxing match, with triumphal music theme, as against all odds our protagonist(s) wins. Along the way, the team discovers unity, that all members are valued, and racial/economic/social barriers fall.

Also prominently features team member with a secret: either a coach or a player's father is a drunk/druggie. And the fair-haired big man on campus stands up for poor marginalized team member. Also features a wife or parent completely against the most talented member playing in the state championship, but is won over and before the big game tells the player: You give 'em hell now. Also, the coach's daughter, a sweet faced 16-year old falls in love with the bad boy on the team, and redeems him.

I could go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I will add my voice to this. Jojo was excellent. This is the type of film that is in danger of dying out as studios focus only on profits and end up making 22 marvel movies (not saying those shouldn't be made).
                          I saw it this weekend and didn't love it, but yeah, I would take it over most marvel movies.

It wasn't as funny as I had hope (German Shepherds? really?), but has its moments.

Comment

• Knives Out. We loved it. I have decided to forgive Rian Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              I saw it this weekend and didn't love it, but yeah, I would take it over most marvel movies.

It wasn't as funny as I had hope (German Shepherds? really?), but has its moments.
                              Yeah, it was OK. It kind of has a "Wes Anderson" feel to it in parts which I liked. We also took in the new Star Wars movie. I don't know why I wasted money on that one. It was the worst! I keep swearing I will never go to another one of these but I keep giving my money to Lucas Films/Disney. Damn you George Lucas!
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Taika also portrays Hitler in the film and also directed Thor Ragnorak. Taika is half Maori and half jewish and fully hilarious.
                                Also directed the final episode of Mandalorian, and stars as the assassin bot repurposed as baby Yoda's nurse bot.

Comment

Working...
                                X