Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulu live just increased rates by 10 bucks. Streaming is going to be as expensive as cable at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      lol popcorn's on me. But the streaming service is objectively pretty great so far. The Mandalorian is worth the year's subscription alone. If you don't like Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars content enough to pay $7 bucks a month, well then don't. But none of that stuff is ever going to be on another streaming service again. And the originals that are coming out (the additional Star Wars and Marvel standalone series) are going to give subscribers what they want. This is just the beginning-- new high quality content will be coming pretty regularly. And all of it is family-friendly. Your kids can go nuts on Disney+ in a way they would never be allowed on HBO or Netflix. Not seeing the 'deuce' properties you are picking up.
      FTR, I am happy with the service overall. The price is right and I share the account with my adult kids (4 streams, 7 profiles allowed). They had a lot of glitches on the rollout but nothing that can't be easily fixed.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

lol popcorn's on me. But the streaming service is objectively pretty great so far. The Mandalorian is worth the year's subscription alone. If you don't like Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars content enough to pay $7 bucks a month, well then don't. But none of that stuff is ever going to be on another streaming service again. And the originals that are coming out (the additional Star Wars and Marvel standalone series) are going to give subscribers what they want. This is just the beginning-- new high quality content will be coming pretty regularly. And all of it is family-friendly. Your kids can go nuts on Disney+ in a way they would never be allowed on HBO or Netflix. Not seeing the 'deuce' properties you are picking up.
        Here is one of many many articles noting the poor launch.

https://gizmodo.com/disney-is-embarrassing-1839836190

As the Dude points out, these are issues that they can certainly fix, but the service entered the scene with a pretty poor roll out. The nice thing for Disney is that they have so loyal a consumer base that people will stick with it and they are laughing all the way to the Bank while they sort out their issues.

Comment

• Eh, brand new massive online services always have hiccups at launch.

Comment

My 15-year-old is saying we need it so he can watch High School Musical: The Musical Series (or whatever it's called). They hooked him with the teaser first episode on broadcast TV. Not sure why he's been on a High School Musical kick lately, but I'm guessing it has to do with a girl.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              My 15-year-old is saying we need it so he can watch High School Musical: The Musical Series (or whatever it's called). They hooked him with the teaser first episode on broadcast TV. Not sure why he's been on a High School Musical kick lately, but I'm guessing it has to do with a girl.

Yeah, let's go with that.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• No Watcher in the Woods on Disney +.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Yeah, let's go with that.
                  Don’t worry, Pelado. My son has watched HSM and the sequels. Mostly because his sisters watched them but he could still sing the lyrics. He’s not gay. I think.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    No Watcher in the Woods on Disney +.
                    If there is a Disney title that you want to see on there, that isn't currently on there, they will take an e-mail and make it available. I read that somewhere yesterday.

They will not make "Song of the South" available regardless of how many e-mails that they get.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      If there is a Disney title that you want to see on there, that isn't currently on there, they will take an e-mail and make it available. I read that somewhere yesterday.

They will not make "Song of the South" available regardless of how many e-mails that they get.
                      North Avenue Irregulars

and Private Eyes

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        Yeah I have Ultra for the family room and an old 3 upstairs. There's a difference though not terrible in my experience. I'm wired with FiOS gigabit. Hoping for a Black Friday deal to pick up another Ultra.
                        Looks like that black Friday deal is happening:

Coming soon: half off our best player
                        Starting on November 28, you’ll save 50% on Roku Ultra—all the bells and whistles included.

Comment

• Ah - Black Friday. I'm looking to gnab some Georgia Giant Romeo's for half price on Friday. I could potentially save $40, and that's a whole tank of gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Giant...TV2776WKSVW1NB

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            Ah - Black Friday. I'm looking to gnab some Georgia Giant Romeo's for half price on Friday. I could potentially save $40, and that's a whole tank of gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Giant...TV2776WKSVW1NB
                            What does that have to do with Cutting out Cable?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              What does that have to do with Cutting out Cable?
                              When I quit Comcast I joined Frontier. Frontier's deal included a $100 cash card after 90 days of service, to offset the upfront installation charges. I got the $100 cash card this past week and determined that I was going to spend it on some new shoes, and as Black Friday is coming up - I thought I'd use the $100 from my cable cutting escapade to pay for them.

The above is a true story - and I'm pleased that your accountant penchant for balancing the credits and debits of life, and various threads, needs to be satisfied. I hope I passed your surprise audit. Sign off below, making it official.
                              Last edited by clackamascoug; 11-27-2019, 12:20 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                When I quit Comcast I joined Frontier. Frontier's deal included a $100 cash card after 90 days of service, to offset the upfront installation charges. I got the $100 cash card this past week and determined that I was going to spend it on some new shoes, and as Black Friday is coming up - I thought I'd use the $100 from my cable cutting escapade to pay for them.

The above is a true story - and I'm pleased that your accountant penchant for balancing the credits and debits of life, and various threads, needs to be satisfied. I hope I passed your surprise audit. Sign off below, making it official.
                                I'm not an accountant, but I am a church trained Stake Auditor. I'd be happy to sign off on your balance sheet. Plus, kudos for breaking free from the chains of the Devil.

Comment

Working...
                                X