Spy Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    I saw American Assassin. I didn't care for it, but the folks I went with liked it.
    Based on the trailer, it doesn't seem like it really follows the book. Plutonium? GFTO.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Based on the trailer, it doesn't seem like it really follows the book. Plutonium? GFTO.
      Not even close. But still a fun movie.

Comment

Wait-list for all these authors.[emoji58]

Going to read The Lions of Lucerne next.
        Sadly, this book did not hit the mark for me. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying it was terrible. The dialogue was grating and the Harvath character is like a cardboard cutout.

It did have a bunch of Mormon references, since the first section takes place in Park City and Midway. There's even a section involving a D.I. truck! But he loses points by claiming that Mormons don't eat chocolate because caffeine is verboten and for once having a member of the church refer to it as the "Church of Latter-day Saints". Also for claiming that Mormons object to being called Mormons.

1 for 2 so far, Y.O.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sadly, this book did not hit the mark for me. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying it was terrible. The dialogue was grating and the Harvath character is like a cardboard cutout.

It did have a bunch of Mormon references, since the first section takes place in Park City and Midway. There's even a section involving a D.I. truck! But he loses points by claiming that Mormons don't eat chocolate because caffeine is verboten and for once having a member of the church refer to it as the "Church of Latter-day Saints". Also for claiming that Mormons object to being called Mormons.

1 for 2 so far, Y.O.
          Sorry, man. I noticed that some of Thor's earlier books in the series weren't as entertaining as the later ones (even though I specifically called out that I hadn't rad LoL). Brad Thor spins a good tail but there isn't a lot of nuance with his writing and your description of Harvath sounds about right.

If you do like the genre and a bit more complexity with your characters then I strongly recommend Silva or Berenson. Fantastic writers.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Sorry, man. I noticed that some of Thor's earlier books in the series weren't as entertaining as the later ones (even though I specifically called out that I hadn't rad LoL). If you do like the genre and a bit more complexity with your characters then I strongly recommend Silva or Berenson. Fantastic writers.
            Silva is actually next on the list. There was a much longer wait list for his first novel, so that bodes well. I won't hold LoL against you because you couldn't have known. But I won't be voting for Brad Thor when he runs against Trump in 2020.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I love Daniel Silva but I felt like his last couple have gotten very formulaic and predictable - they're basically just repeats of earlier books. The same characters doing the same things, the same descriptions of characters copied and pasted from earlier books. I will always love the Gabriel Allon series but Silva sold out a while ago and is basically just mailing it in on his more recent novels.

Also, not spy-related but I'm a sucker for anything from Michael Connely. Bosch kicks butt.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                I love Daniel Silva but I felt like his last couple have gotten very formulaic and predictable - they're basically just repeats of earlier books. The same characters doing the same things, the same descriptions of characters copied and pasted from earlier books. I will always love the Gabriel Allon series but Silva sold out a while ago and is basically just mailing it in on his more recent novels.

Also, not spy-related but I'm a sucker for anything from Michael Connely. Bosch kicks butt.
                I love all the Bosch books and the Mickey Haller books. I also like his new protagonist, Renee Ballard from The Late Show. I think she and Bosch appear in Connely's latest book.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  I love all the Bosch books and the Mickey Haller books. I also like his new protagonist, Renee Ballard from The Late Show. I think she and Bosch appear in Connely's latest book.
                  I recently finished "Two Kinds of Truth" and was reminded once again how much I like Michael Connelly. He's a great writer.

Comment

I recently finished P. T Deutermann's Red Swan

Set in present day DC - I thought is a pretty good thriller/spy novel about the CIA vs Chinese state security. The GR ratings are all over the map, so....

I personally really like Deuermann's work and this didn't let me down.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Just finishing up The Spy and The Traitor by Ben Macintyre. It’s about a Russian KGB agent who spied for the British during the Cold War in the 70’s and 80’s. Great read, and it’s fun to get a new perspective on big names and events from my childhood and teen years.

Comment

I have a new one to add to the list. Jack Carr and the James Reese series. There are only two books so far and they're pretty entertaining. The author is a former SEAL and so is his protagonist. Bonus is that the author lives in Park City.

Comment

1 for 2 so far, Y.O.
                          I guess Brad Thor was a little more prescient than I gave him credit for.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I guess Brad Thor was a little more prescient than I gave him credit for.
                            So have you tried any of the other Thor novels? I've read all the latest from my list, except Berenson didn't write a John Wells book this year because he wrote a book about marijuana. I really wish he had because it's one of my favorite series.

One of the funny things about the Jack Carr novels is that in both of them he references Brad Thor, but each time it's a villain picking up one of his books in the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              So have you tried any of the other Thor novels? I've read all the latest from my list, except Berenson didn't write a John Wells book this year because he wrote a book about marijuana. I really wish he had because it's one of my favorite series.

One of the funny things about the Jack Carr novels is that in both of them he references Brad Thor, but each time it's a villain picking up one of his books in the airport.
                              No, but I need something else to read so maybe I'll give another a try.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

No, but I need something else to read so maybe I'll give another a try.
                                Start with Blacklist. I remember liking that one quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X