Prop 8 Has Been Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Why do you care? The difference between civil union and marriage wasn't very significant, but it mattered to some gays. Now gays an enjoy divorce just like straights. Why should gays be spared the fun?!
    I don't like it when people are imprecise and make unfounded claims.

In this case PaloAlto says he said "legal commitment" as a substitute for marriage. Now, I thought that the quote from from the article PAC linked, but I guess he's taking credit for it. Anyway, why use "legal commitment" as a substitute for the word marriage. If you are talking about marriage, then using the word is more natural, more descriptive, and more succinct. When someone goes out of their way to substituted marriage for a more general and vague "legal commitment" they are doing so for a reason. In this case, the author wanted to make the unequal treatment sound much worse. He and people like him prefer to pretend that marriage means more than it does. Marriage means enough without trying to exaggerate. I read the quote. I thought it was imprecise at best and intentionally misleading at worse, so I pointed out the error. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      I don't like it when people are imprecise and make unfounded claims.

In this case PaloAlto says he said "legal commitment" as a substitute for marriage. Now, I thought that the quote from from the article PAC linked, but I guess he's taking credit for it. Anyway, why use "legal commitment" as a substitute for the word marriage. If you are talking about marriage, then using the word is more natural, more descriptive, and more succinct. When someone goes out of their way to substituted marriage for a more general and vague "legal commitment" they are doing so for a reason. In this case, the author wanted to make the unequal treatment sound much worse. He and people like him prefer to pretend that marriage means more than it does. Marriage means enough without trying to exaggerate. I read the quote. I thought it was imprecise at best and intentionally misleading at worse, so I pointed out the error. End of story.
      Marriage is no longer marriage in the traditional sense. Whether that is good or bad is irrelevant. It is what it is.

That being the case why should you or I or anyone care what it is called. How about the "new and enlightened marriage". If that is too long, how about "hook up". Or we could call it "CUNC", committed until not committed.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Marriage is no longer marriage in the traditional sense. Whether that is good or bad is irrelevant. It is what it is.

That being the case why should you or I or anyone care what it is called. How about the "new and enlightened marriage". If that is too long, how about "hook up". Or we could call it "CUNC", committed until not committed.
        I don't care. I do care what it is and what it means. But that's not what I was talking about in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
          I don't care. I do care what it is and what it means. But that's not what I was talking about in this thread.
          Sorry I missed it. I focused in on where you were talking about "substitute" for marriage.

Comment

• The church is still fighting the lgbt fight. I wonder if someday they’ll just give up and allow gays to have equal rights as everyone else

https://twitter.com/churchnewsroom/s...754702848?s=21
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              The church is still fighting the lgbt fight. I wonder if someday they’ll just give up and allow gays to have equal rights as everyone else

Oh, brother. Just provide a link to your podcast already.

Good for the LDS Church (and the Catholic Church, and the ...). The Equality Act is a legal land grab and should be met with vigorous resistance. For example, gender identity is far too ambiguous to be given a protected class status.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The church is still fighting the lgbt fight. I wonder if someday they’ll just give up and allow gays to have equal rights as everyone else

Good thing the church changed the temple sealing and marriage ceremony policy... now the church can get out of the marrying business before they are sued.

Walter, do you have a summon meme for LVAllen?

Sent from my iPhone and not some dumb Chinese android POS.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints definition of "fairness for all"

Religious rights and freedoms: laws need to vigorously protect it
                  LGBTQ: laws to give basic human rights

At least they are honest that they believe religions should be given more protections than LGBTQ people.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints definition of "fairness for all"

Religious rights and freedoms: laws need to vigorously protect it
                    LGBTQ: laws to give basic human rights

At least they are honest that they believe religions should be given more protections than LGBTQ people.
                    Well, freedom of religion is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Well, freedom of religion is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution.
                      Absolutely it is and there is religious freedom in our country. It also isn't under attack and there are no need for additional protections. Now in contrast, LBGTQ people have been discriminated against including our Vice President who believes that it should be okay to deny them housing and employment.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Absolutely it is and there is religious freedom in our country. It also isn't under attack and there are no need for additional protections. Now in contrast, LBGTQ people have been discriminated against including our Vice President who believes that it should be okay to deny them housing and employment.
                        A lot of people who disagree with you that freedom of religion isn't under attack and doesn't need any additional protections.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Good thing the church changed the temple sealing and marriage ceremony policy... now the church can get out of the marrying business before they are sued.

Walter, do you have a summon meme for LVAllen?

Sent from my iPhone and not some dumb Chinese android POS.
                          Yeah, I'm still waiting for you to show evidence of any church that has been successfully sued and forced to perform a religious ceremony against its own doctrine. It's a bogeyman that the religious fascists like to prop up so they can scream about the gay agenda.

Comment

A lot of people who disagree with you that freedom of religion isn't under attack and doesn't need any additional protections.
                            I recognize that a lot of people think that religious freedom is under attack and it needs additional protections. There are also people that believe the earth is flat.
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I recognize that a lot of people think that religious freedom is under attack and it needs additional protections. There are also people that believe the earth is flat.
                              But not a lot.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

But not a lot.
                                True there are not a lot of them.

I'd be interested to hear all he real world examples of this alleged infringement on religious freedom.

By the way, if you want to know some real world examples of LGBTQ people discriminated against, I'm happy to provide them.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X