No announcement yet.

2018 mid-term elections thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn’t expect Medicaid exspanion to pass. I’ll be curious to see what legislature does to try and derail it.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      The senate was never in the cards. Democrats were defending 18 seats and the GOP only 8. The dems also picked up several Governorships, including Wisoncisn’s. It was not a blue tsunami but it was a blue wave.
      One would think that $70 million would buy a senate seat in even in Texas. Money doesn't buy much these days.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The senate was never in the cards. Democrats were defending 18 seats and the GOP only 8. The dems also picked up several Governorships, including Wisoncisn’s. It was not a blue tsunami but it was a blue wave.
        It was a mixed bag for the democrats and republicans. However, the overwhelming winner of the midterms was Mary Jane.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

The Senate was absolutely in play and was probably going to go blue before the Boxer circus. Most likely the Republicans will have 53 senators. Nelson, McCaskill, Heitkamp, and Donnelly are all dems who went down for siding with Boxer. Manchin saved himself by voting to confirm. Looks like Tester will survive despite a no vote.

Without the Kavenaugh effect it is very possible that Cruz goes down and Flake's seat goes blue as well.

Verdict: no blue wave due to self inflicted wounds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            One would think that $70 million would buy a senate seat in even in Texas. Money doesn't buy much these days.
            Especially against Ted Cruz.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              The Senate was absolutely in play and was probably going to go blue before the Boxer circus. Most likely the Republicans will have 53 senators. Nelson, McCaskill, Heitkamp, and Donnelly are all dems who went down for siding with Boxer. Manchin saved himself by voting to confirm. Looks like Tester will survive despite a no vote.

Without the Kavenaugh effect it is very possible that Cruz goes down and Flake's seat goes blue as well.

Both political parties are good at self-inflicted wounds. I agree the dems could have had a better night without the Kavanaugh debacle. But if there is corruption and illegal activity in the executive branch it can at least be made transparent now through the House. Then when it's uncovered, what millions of repubs do with that is another issue, but I'm good with the results last night.

Comment

I disagree, from fairly early on the odds were not good. In places like North Dakota that Trump carries by 36 percentage points, I don’t think a yes on Labanaugh vote would have mattered, although it didn’t help. I think Donnelly was most hurt by his vote.

There also other interesting occurrences like the dems winning control of the New York State Senate for the 1st time in decades.

Comment

The Kavanaugh thing was not only very damaging to the Dems but to women in general... Now an accuser admits to fabricating her story about Kavanaugh. So I guess it is important to have due process. The sexual misconduct card may be much harder to play for the dems in the next two years of judge appointments.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

People ask Trump about how he can lower the political temperature (in light of recent killings) how he can be a moral leader and how he can heal the divide in this country and he launches into a speech about how well the economy is doing.

The dude never fails to disappoint in his role as a purely materialistic, self-aggrandizing fool.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Trump just said that Mia Love lost because she didn’t accept Trump’s help in the campaign. Trump threw in a weird reference to Josh Holt being held hostage in Venezuela.
                      Did she get "help" from Obama instead?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        That's good. I always vote no on all the judges anyway.
                        That’s a retention vote, which most states have. Texas has partisan races for the judiciary.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          It bought him the democratic presidential nomination.

Comment

I disagree, from fairly early on the odds were not good. In places like North Dakota that Trump carries by 36 percentage points, I don’t think a yes on Labanaugh vote would have mattered, although it didn’t help. I think Donnelly was most hurt by his vote.

There also other interesting occurrences like the dems winning control of the New York State Senate for the 1st time in decades.
                            You won't find any credible political analyst calling this a blue wave. The number of house seats that switched away from the president is below average for a mid-term. If McSalley holds on in AZ, republicans will have won 6 of the 8 hotly contested senate seats (and within 5000 votes of a 7th). Dems made some moderate gains at the state level after getting destroyed there for the past 8 years.

The Scott Walker loss was due to local issues related to his deal to bring in a massive FoxConn factory. Even with that debacle he only lost by 1%.

The election was a mixed bag that moved the needle a bit toward the dems. Obviously, flipping the house is a big deal, I don't want to understate that. But given the beating trump has taken the last two years, I think he's right to declare victory. Everywhere he campaigned he was a big boost to the candidate he was there for. And going +3 in the senate is a nice move that will set republicans up to keep the senate in 2020 as well.

Comment

You're kidding yourself. The Kavanaugh debacle was a HUGE error by DiFi and the other dems. They went through all that effort, spent all those political resources, focused all that pre-election energy on Kavanaugh and, in the end, Kavanaugh is on the court and they don't gain the senate, which might have been in play otherwise. Nice job there, Dems.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                People ask Trump about how he can lower the political temperature (in light of recent killings) how he can be a moral leader and how he can heal the divide in this country and he launches into a speech about how well the economy is doing.

The dude never fails to disappoint in his role as a purely materialistic, self-aggrandizing fool.
                                I listened to a portion of his presser. He was asked what he learned from the election given that he lost the house and the democrats advanced in many state races. His response? Something close to: "I learned that most people like me a lot, and like the job I am doing." My guess is that would be his honest response no matter what happened in the election.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X