No announcement yet.

Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten years ago, no one was more bullish on Rose than me. One game doesn't make a season, but I'm pretty down on him right now. There's no such thing as a Rose system right now. He's allowed his assistants to reinvent his strategy the last few years. That team last night played dumb and undisciplined. Childs is trying to block a step back three in foul trouble. TJ's disrespecting the game on both sides of the court. It's sad to watch.

Comment

• i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
        That’s funny. Blame the mission.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            He should hire Kate Kelly, Esq to recoup NBA monies lost in exchange for returning with honor.

I'm rattling my brain trying to remember a time when TJ went behind the back in traffic and it resulted in anything other than bad things. Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble; TJ has patented the behind-the-back butt turnover.

Overall though, not a terrible effort. A true road game against a top 10 team shouldn't be a W for almost any college basketball team. I saw a lot of encouraging things last night, but BYU remains what it is nearly every year: somewhere between a 20-win team that misses the tournament and a 20-win team that barely makes the tournament. This has been the case any year they haven't had the Wooden award winner on their roster.

Curb the crazy expectations and enjoy the season. We have a pretty good basketball team.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Ten years ago, no one was more bullish on Rose than me. One game doesn't make a season, but I'm pretty down on him right now. There's no such thing as a Rose system right now. He's allowed his assistants to reinvent his strategy the last few years. That team last night played dumb and undisciplined. Childs is trying to block a step back three in foul trouble. TJ's disrespecting the game on both sides of the court. It's sad to watch.
              There should have been more than 8 turnovers if it was really that bad. This looked like BYU playing against a 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA tournament: shaky start, fight back to tie at the half, hang with them close on the scoreboard until 5-6 minutes to go, run out of gas/get hurt with key players in foul trouble. I wouldn't read an extra amount of negative into this against a very tough opponent on the road.

Now if they make the same kinds of mistakes against lesser competition, have at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                He should hire Kate Kelly, Esq to recoup NBA monies lost in exchange for returning with honor.

I'm rattling my brain trying to remember a time when TJ went behind the back in traffic and it resulted in anything other than bad things. Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble; TJ has patented the behind-the-back butt turnover.

Overall though, not a terrible effort. A true road game against a top 10 team shouldn't be a W for almost any college basketball team. I saw a lot of encouraging things last night, but BYU remains what it is nearly every year: somewhere between a 20-win team that misses the tournament and a 20-win team that barely makes the tournament. This has been the case any year they haven't had the Wooden award winner on their roster.

Curb the crazy expectations and enjoy the season. We have a pretty good basketball team.
                It is a pretty good team overall and the younger guys have the potential to help make the team better. It's not the horrible team some imagined before the year (and yes I realize "horrible" to some is defined by a team that wins 24 and goes to the NIT). But I will still be disappointed if they don't make the tournament because they have the pieces and the non-conference schedule to get that done this year. After 3 years they need to make it this time. This team is better than last year's and is no worse than the 2015, 2014 and 2012 versions.
                Last edited by BlueK; 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post

actually kate kelly esq is a human rights lawyer and wouldn’t waste her time on sportsball
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
                    He looks like he hasn't aged well.

Comment

• Perhaps my favorite common criticism of Rose over the years has been the one about how he doesn't yank players enough for playing poorly. Yet, he has a super long list now of players transferred out probably for getting yanked too much when they've played poorly.

Comment

• Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...se-scholarship
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

I'm actually surprised that the NCAA didn't fire Rose themselves.

Comment

Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

lol
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• The same thing cost Pete Carroll his job at USC. I guess BYU is diffferent.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The same thing cost Pete Carroll his job at USC. I guess BYU is diffferent.
                                apparently Dave Rose is being offered an NBA coaching job.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X