The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
    Things are a bit more partisan now. I hope you are right but folks are quite a bit more partisan/tribal now, I think.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I think he was asking what would the next democratic president do if presented with a conservative majority that might endure for 20 years or so. As noted by someone else, the number of justices is a matter of congressional statute, not the constitution. And as you note, FDR did try to pack the court in order to make the court amenable to his expansion of federal powers in implementing the New Deal. FDR eventually got his way anyway due to attrition on the court and the dire needs of the country in the depression.

I doubt that anyone today would try to do that. Trump certainly could not pull it off, as you note, and I doubt any other president could in the foreseeable future. If we ever get to the point where packing the court does not generate overwhelming pushback, then the court's composition probably won't matter that much anyway. That said, the absolute fealty that so many people now feel towards the result rather than the process makes me think this day is much closer than I ever thought it would be during my life.
      I can't think of anything the would mobilize a political base more effectively or completely than a SCOTUS overhaul like that. Can you imagine? Yeesh.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

As you know, I rarely agree with you, but I agree with this completely. I think the coarsening of public discourse began before Trump. I think it started a more rapid decline with Watergate and the release of the Nixon tapes with their many "expletive deleted" parentheticals and it took another leap downward when we rolled in the mud with Clinton as he argued about what "is" is and what, exactly, he did with the cigar in the oval office. Trump then takes us to almost unimaginably low levels but now the descent is hurried, rather than balanced, by the media's obviously biased obsessions and desperate grab for revenues.
        Was listening to a podcast where an explanation for Trump was raised that finally made sense to me. Trump is simply an avatar and agent for chaos. In a time of increasing political strife, where civil discourse is decaying at an accelerated pace, what exactly should be expected? That an individual that thrives in chaos would emerge. Such an individual is neither Republican or Democrat (parties that in the past have generally believed in civility and order). He could have risen in either party. Perhaps the Republicans were more desperate at the time, so the path to ascension was simpler. To understand his irrational behavior, when seen through the lens of sowing more chaos, Trump's actions are logical. Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.

Comment

I can't think of anything the would mobilize a political base more effectively or completely than a SCOTUS overhaul like that. Can you imagine? Yeesh.
          The wild back and forths would create insane instability, but that is where we are headed, I think.

I remember as a kid in HS/JH when I first got interested in the world wondering how country's in the developing world could be so screwed up. Tribalism is a huge problem.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
            Was listening to a podcast where an explanation for Trump was raised that finally made sense to me. Trump is simply an avatar and agent for chaos. In a time of increasing political strife, where civil discourse is decaying at an accelerated pace, what exactly should be expected? That an individual that thrives in chaos would emerge. Such an individual is neither Republican or Democrat (parties that in the past have generally believed in civility and order). He could have risen in either party. Perhaps the Republicans were more desperate at the time, so the path to ascension was simpler. To understand his irrational behavior, when seen through the lens of sowing more chaos, Trump's actions are logical. Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.
            That is a little bit cynical, in my view, but it makes some sense. I think that Trump's personality (and my distaste for it) goes beyond chaos, however. He's just an awful person.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

That is a little bit cynical, in my view, but it makes some sense. I think that Trump's personality (and my distaste for it) goes beyond chaos, however. He's just an awful person.
              I don't mean as a conscious agent, just that his temperament is naturally chaotic. He thrives when things don't make sense.

Comment

If the FBI missed a substance abuse treatment in Kavanaugh's past then they really aren't very good at this whole investigation/vetting thing.
                Were all the documents the dems were complaining about not being able to examine eventually released?

Comment

I don't mean as a conscious agent, just that his temperament is naturally chaotic. He thrives when things don't make sense.
                  I understand. In some ways I am glad Trump is like he is, as he is so unlikeable by almost everyone that the chaos he sows is suspect across the board. Not all persons who thrive in chaos appear to be chaotic or crazy.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
                    Congress will never use reconciliation to bypass the filibuster to major legislation.

They certainly wont bypass the filibuster for judicial nominees.

Well they wont do it for supreme court justices. That is too important.

No one would withhold serious allegations until the last minute and destroy a man's distinguished career without any corroborating evidence just because of that man's judicial philosophy.

Trump will never survive the nomination process. He is too vile.

Trump won the nomination in a contentious primary of a broken party but he will never be president. Access Hollywood tapes, 5th Avenue gunshot, etc.

All that is crazy talk. Coming soon: Trump will never be reelected and Democrats will never try to pack the supreme court again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      Were all the documents the dems were complaining about not being able to examine eventually released?
                      No. None of them have to do with treatment for substance abuse, teen age drinking, gang rape parties or sexual assaults, either. You notice how that has all faded into the background? The democrats shifting focus is all the proof you need that this is not about a fair minded evaluation.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.
                        As it is in Putin's best interest for it to exist in America.

Comment

His election highlights his core. One who exploits opportunities for his own personal vanity and venal interests. I didn't like President Obama but I believe he at least had core beliefs and goals as to what a better society ought to be. Donald Trump has none other his own personal goals which are often only known by him.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            We know what’s on it?
                            The people that need the information do. You don’t get to vote for or against Kav so why does it need to be made public? I think the Ford investigation should have been private, just like the system is set up to do, but Feinstein decided to make it public.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Of course you don't.
                              What’s with the condescension?
                              Last edited by frank ryan; 10-03-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                The people that need the information do. You don’t get to vote for or against Kav so why does it need to be made public? I think the Ford investigation should have been private, just like the system is set up to do, but Feinstein decided to make it public.
                                Yeah, if there was any dirt on it then the Dems would have leaked it by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X