Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I'm not well-versed in how low and in which types the cancer risk is in Utah. But since Utah most likely has a disproportionally lower cohort of heavy smokers and drinkers, you should clearly see decreased lung, bladder, liver, esophageal, and head and neck cancers. There's no shipbuilding yards in Utah that I know of, so you're likely missing out on some mesotheliomas...

I've heard the link between decreased prostate cancer and coffee consumption, but I don't know how strong that is. The study that I saw found the association with 3 or more cups of coffee a day. I may be setting myself up for prostate cancer, as I only drink 2/day
    Amateur. 3-4 cups a day here.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Amateur. 3-4 cups a day here.
      Don't mess with tea. The tannins will turn your stomach to leather. I learned from one of my mission companions that they found some bones of a british soldier in the Sahara Desert. There was this curious leather pouch that had also survived with the bones. When they took it back to England, it was identified as the soldier's stomach, WHICH HAD BEEN TURNED TO LEATHER BY THE TANNINS FOUND IN ENGLISH TEA!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Don't mess with tea. The tannins will turn your stomach to leather. I learned from one of my mission companions that they found some bones of a british soldier in the Sahara Desert. There was this curious leather pouch that had also survived with the bones. When they took it back to England, it was identified as the soldier's stomach, WHICH HAD BEEN TURNED TO LEATHER BY THE TANNINS FOUND IN ENGLISH TEA!
        Oh man. That story about the British soldier never made it’s way to Southern California. I could have persuaded so many more people to live the Word of Wisdom.

Although, after being convinced by a companion that the best way to neutralize and dispose of marijuana was to cook it on the stove in a pan with Bacardi, maybe any more successful 4th discussions would have just resulted in my incarceration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• The discovery of 16 million tons of mud containing rare earth elements (enough to last the world for several centuries, apparently) seems like a pretty big deal but hasn't been mentioned much in the news. China controls nearly all of the rare earth elements (used in a variety of high tech devices), so what might have been a potentially harmful monopoly against the U.S. is no more. I just want to celebrate (really, and no, I didn't post this for the sake of that last quip).

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            The discovery of 16 million tons of mud containing rare earth elements (enough to last the world for several centuries, apparently) seems like a pretty big deal but hasn't been mentioned much in the news. China controls nearly all of the rare earth elements (used in a variety of high tech devices), so what might have been a potentially harmful monopoly against the U.S. is no more. I just want to celebrate (really, and no, I didn't post this for the sake of that last quip).
            Wow. That is very cool.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The discovery of 16 million tons of mud containing rare earth elements (enough to last the world for several centuries, apparently) seems like a pretty big deal but hasn't been mentioned much in the news. China controls nearly all of the rare earth elements (used in a variety of high tech devices), so what might have been a potentially harmful monopoly against the U.S. is no more. I just want to celebrate (really, and no, I didn't post this for the sake of that last quip).
              This should help Japan's economy recover a lot faster. I wonder if the US will look at rejoining the TPP now.

Rare earth minerals contain rare earth elements (located here on the periodic table) that are used in high-tech devices like smartphones, missile systems, radar devices and hybrid vehicles.
              Cool... we can build more missiles to bomb Syria with.

I know that rare earth magnets are used in small motors (like the one that makes your smartphone vibrate). I didn't know they were used in larger electric motors/generators like those in hybrid/electric vehicles (but not Teslas) or wind turbines. Of course, room temperature superconductors could change all of that.

Some other uses for rare earth minerals: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-17357863
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It.
                Somebody had to foot the bill for Anna Delvey’s fabulous new life. The city was full of marks.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-a...-new-york.html
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6243e092062c

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7c6d98600a9f
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• Good article on rapidly declining water in some Arizona wells. Basically, lack of adequate regulation has allowed the growing agriculture sector to deplete water, which has forced residents to abandon homes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/m...f-arizona.html
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Good article on rapidly declining water in some Arizona wells. Basically, lack of adequate regulation has allowed the growing agriculture sector to deplete water, which has forced residents to abandon homes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/m...f-arizona.html
                      I just finished reading that. It seems that nobody wants to actually make some rules to keep from using up all of the water in Arizona. I guess it will eventually turn back into a desert there.

It makes me happy that I now live where it's still okay to waste water. (Just kidding, 30 years in California taught me to conserve.)

Comment

• Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonald’s monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

Jacobson was the head of a sprawling network of mobsters, psychics, strip club owners, convicts, drug traffickers, and even a family of Mormons, who had falsely claimed more than $24 million in cash and prizes.
                        https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an...stole-millions

I have no memory of this; does anyone else? Like the article states, maybe it’s because the trial started on September 10, 2001.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonald’s monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

I have no memory of this; does anyone else? Like the article states, maybe it’s because the trial started on September 10, 2001.
                          Wow! That was really interesting.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonald’s monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

"The government also took everything he owned. Back in Lawrenceville, his neighbors watched as agents drove away in his brand new Honda S2000 sports car, and other vehicles including a luxury Acura, a minivan, and an ’86 Chevy El Camino."

Living large!
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              "The government also took everything he owned. Back in Lawrenceville, his neighbors watched as agents drove away in his brand new Honda S2000 sports car, and other vehicles including a luxury Acura, a minivan, and an ’86 Chevy El Camino."

Living large!
                              "Yeah man... El Camino"

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• GOP politician helps towns enact anti-illegal immigration ordinances, towns lose in court, have to pay hefty fines, and politician still gets paid. Real-life Music Man, or the monorail salesman on Simpsons. Whatever your generation prefers:

https://www.propublica.org/article/k...rtroom-defeats
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X