Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Probably because I'm a simpleton, I've always been fascinated with D.B. Cooper. It is looking like they have maybe figured out who he is and that he was involved with the CIA.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenew...s-12543305.php
    I've also long been a DBC enthusiast. Must be a NW thing. Cool article.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
      http://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/0...nt-judge-says/
      Kind of cool 4th amendment story out of Idaho, but the winning quote came from the comments.

"I hear the Tabernacle Choir does a lovely cover of 'F the police' by NWA..."

Maybe I'll put it in the suggestion box . . . nah.
      After seeing this post, I brought up this case in our Gospel Principles class a few weeks ago. The Idaho State Police trooper in attendance said there was other information that didn't get included in the case that led to the officer asserting "independent reasonable suspicion". Sadly, I don't remember how I tied it in to the lesson.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Really sad but needed story about drug addiction and a NFL player.

http://www.nola.com/living/index.ssf...r_orleans_news
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Well, I guess when you have had enormous success and are 85 years old, you can speak your mind.

My favorite from the interview, Quincy Jones being asked about the Beatles

That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• The White Darkness

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...white-darkness

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              The White Darkness

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...white-darkness

Why do we need to know that this was... Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk ???
              Thanks for that link. One year ago today I was on a cruise ship that left Cape Horn in the morning and was headed for Antarctica for four days. We learned about Shackleton and many of the other early explorers as well as modern day scientists. Hiking 1000 miles across Antarctica is something very serious. I'm not too far into this article yet, but I intend to read the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0....html?referer=

Devastating story about mental illness and homelessness.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• And now the great ed hochuli is retiring from reffing.
                  He had a great run. He will be sorely missed.
                  I intend to live forever.
                  So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                    And now the great ed hochuli is retiring from reffing.
                    He had a great run. He will be sorely missed.
                    But still accepting Christmas gifts...
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• https://www.motherjones.com/politics...breast-cancer/

Read it before someone quotes it in church.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        https://www.motherjones.com/politics...breast-cancer/

That was interesting. Highlight for me is simply that science and politics are so intertwined in current day America that it is all suspect. Even being an expert in the field does not seem to be sufficient to inoculate against biased studies. It extrapolates easily to any hot topic, economic policy, climate, gun control, etc. Who do you trust if you aren't allowed a view into the motivations behind research?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                          That was interesting. Highlight for me is simply that science and politics are so intertwined in current day America that it is all suspect. Even being an expert in the field does not seem to be sufficient to inoculate against biased studies. It extrapolates easily to any hot topic, economic policy, climate, gun control, etc. Who do you trust if you aren't allowed a view into the motivations behind research?

Right? I learned a lot from that article and came away with that same takeaway. Lobbyists run the world.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            https://www.motherjones.com/politics...breast-cancer/

Yikes, that is long. I only skimmed it.

So yes, there is consistent epidemiologic data linking increased drinking with breast cancer. But there is only a modest (1.5 X) risk in women who are heavy drinkers (~3 drinks/day). Common things being common (as breast cancer and drinking are), it is easy to power a study sufficiently to see an association. But even in well-controlled groups with a ton of data, epidemiologic studies should always be interpreted with caution. Just ask an internist who has tried to follow the recommendations of post-menopausal estrogen supplementation during the last 2 decades.

It is interesting she quoted the breast cancer risk in Utah and linked it to alcohol consumption. Again, a large grain of salt is needed here. Anyone old enough to remember the fanfare following the study linking coffee consumption with pancreatic cancer in Mormon circles? It was quickly debunked.

The author was young and got breast cancer. She didn't have any of the typical risk factors for early breast cancer, so she pinned the culprit on alcohol. I'm not saying that didn't cause her cancer, but for most non-inherited breast cancer patients, it's just bad luck.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              Yikes, that is long. I only skimmed it.

So yes, there is consistent epidemiologic data linking increased drinking with breast cancer. But there is only a modest (1.5 X) risk in women who are heavy drinkers (~3 drinks/day). Common things being common (as breast cancer and drinking are), it is easy to power a study sufficiently to see an association. But even in well-controlled groups with a ton of data, epidemiologic studies should always be interpreted with caution. Just ask an internist who has tried to follow the recommendations of post-menopausal estrogen supplementation during the last 2 decades.

It is interesting she quoted the breast cancer risk in Utah and linked it to alcohol consumption. Again, a large grain of salt is needed here. Anyone old enough to remember the fanfare following the study linking coffee consumption with pancreatic cancer in Mormon circles? It was quickly debunked.

The author was young and got breast cancer. She didn't have any of the typical risk factors for early breast cancer, so she pinned the culprit on alcohol. I'm not saying that didn't cause her cancer, but for most non-inherited breast cancer patients, it's just bad luck.
                              What do you think causes the very low cancer rates in Utah? Other than smoking?

Has the coffee = low prostate cancer thing been debunked?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                What do you think causes the very low cancer rates in Utah? Other than smoking?

Has the coffee = low prostate cancer thing been debunked?
                                I'm not well-versed in how low and in which types the cancer risk is in Utah. But since Utah most likely has a disproportionally lower cohort of heavy smokers and drinkers, you should clearly see decreased lung, bladder, liver, esophageal, and head and neck cancers. There's no shipbuilding yards in Utah that I know of, so you're likely missing out on some mesotheliomas...

I've heard the link between decreased prostate cancer and coffee consumption, but I don't know how strong that is. The study that I saw found the association with 3 or more cups of coffee a day. I may be setting myself up for prostate cancer, as I only drink 2/day
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X