No announcement yet.

Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how its the people who actually write software for a living that are the skeptics on autonomous driving.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I write software for a living. I'm not a skeptic. While I'm excited for autonomous vehicles, I don't think the transition will be completely smooth and is more likely decades away and not years. Once the transition starts though, it will be swift.

The technology I don't like is electronic voting machines. Those were a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Funny how its the people who actually write software for a living that are the skeptics on autonomous driving.
        I do software/hardware for a living... I welcome my new autonomous driving overlords! In fact, the next time I am in Boston I'm planing to take a ride: https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...ston/23300423/

I can't wait for the day when I can say, "Siri, take me to Austin." and I can climb into the backseat and go to sleep.

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I write software for a living. I'm not a skeptic. While I'm excited for autonomous vehicles, I don't think the transition will be completely smooth and is more likely decades away and not years. Once the transition starts though, it will be swift.

The technology I don't like is electronic voting machines. Those were a terrible idea.
        The security on most electronic voting machines is pretty bad... only thing worse is the idea of Internet voting.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I do software/hardware for a living... I welcome my new autonomous driving overlords! In fact, the next time I am in Boston I'm planing to take a ride: https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...ston/23300423/

I can't wait for the day when I can say, "Siri, take me to Austin." and I can climb into the backseat and go to sleep.
          Oh brother.

The autonomous vehicles have human backup drivers ready to take the wheel if any problems arise.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Oh brother.
            Those human backup drivers are for skeptics like Walter... someone has to hold their hand.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Oh brother.
              Not Level 5 autonomous: https://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf

Comment

Had a chance to spend some time last week with a guy who does transportation research for a living. Very well-respected guy with a ton of experience and publications. One of his specialty areas right now autonomous vehicles and how they would impact road usage, traffic, etc. Fascinating stuff.

I told him I was skeptical about how quickly we would overcome the software and safety hurdles associated fully autonomous driving as it is frequently portrayed in the media and by many prognosticators. He smiled and said, "Oh, we are 40-50 years away in my opinion."

Comment

Had a chance to spend some time last week with a guy who does transportation research for a living. Very well-respected guy with a ton of experience and publications. One of his specialty areas right now autonomous vehicles and how they would impact road usage, traffic, etc. Fascinating stuff.

I told him I was skeptical about how quickly we would overcome the software and safety hurdles associated fully autonomous driving as it is frequently portrayed in the media and by many prognosticators. He smiled and said, "Oh, we are 40-50 years away in my opinion."
                  That's a good guess. I assume he means full integration of autonomous vehicles into the transportation system, and likely more than 50 percent usage. Did he talk about the stages of adoption and how that will unfold?
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Yes! Looks like I can keep my job. I'll just warn my kids not to follow in my footsteps.

Comment

40 to 50 years away from it actually happening, or 40 to 50 years away from the technology advancing to the point where it is superior (i.e., whatever combination of safer, faster, less expensive, etc.) to human driving?

Either way, he may be right and I hope he's wrong. 50 years is a long time-- only 66 years elapsed from Kitty Hawk to Tranquility Base.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

First fatality of a vehicle in autonomous mode where supposedly it was the algorithms fault:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/1...-tempe-arizona

There was a person behind the wheel too. Not sure the point of her being there if she isn't stopping accidents.

Comment

First fatality of a vehicle in autonomous mode where supposedly it was the algorithms fault:

There was a person behind the wheel too. Not sure the point of her being there if she isn't stopping accidents.
                          Probably farting around on her cell phone.

Comment

“Our hearts go out to the victim’s family,” an Uber spokesperson told The Verge.
                            Uber sending only thoughts, no prayers.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

We were just in Tempe on Saturday, and saw two of those Uber self-driving cars just ahead of us on Scottsdale Road, just north of Curry Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                Uber sending only thoughts, no prayers.
                                Uber carries a prayer in its heart, so both bases are covered.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X