Why cut taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    When Paul Ryan took the house leadership, I watched an interview where he said that the government we basically an army, retirement plan(social security) and a health plan(Medicare).

So all of the barking about entitlements is just that. All of the rest of the budget (and entitlements) was an insignificant amount in the big picture.

So unless Congress is willing to attack military spending, Medicare, or social security, (and they aren't)...nothing of real significance will happen will lowering spending.

Ryan has always talking about smashing SS and medicare. His a big Ayn Rand devotee.

Comment

• Hatch is now trolling the libs:

Armageddon

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Hatch is now trolling the libs:

Armageddon
        Uncle Ted a fan of Trump’s biggest butt kisser. I am shocked!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...loyees-2017-12

Maybe ATT is being nice to its employees or maybe they are just trying to find a way to get the Trump administration to back off of its disapproval of the Time Warner merger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The republicans are raiding the "national treasury"!

Of course, all they are going to find is a $20 trillion "IOU" note.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The republicans are raiding the "national treasury"!

Of course, all they are going to find is a $20 trillion "IOU" note.
              Lloyd.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                When Paul Ryan took the house leadership, I watched an interview where he said that the government we basically an army, retirement plan(social security) and a health plan(Medicare).

So all of the barking about entitlements is just that. All of the rest of the budget (and entitlements) was an insignificant amount in the big picture.

So unless Congress is willing to attack military spending, Medicare, or social security, (and they aren't)...nothing of real significance will happen will lowering spending.
                This is true. The only remaining area to cut are federal employees but those cuts won't be enough to balance the budget. There is no political will to cut any of these areas.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  What if there is a tax break that only benefits one group?
                  There are lots of tax breaks like that. I'm not sure what you point is. I would like to see a much simpler tax code that eliminates breaks that favor few.

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post

Entitlements typically means SS/Medicare and federal employee pensions, i.e. benefits that are required to be paid in the future by law. Discretionary spending is year to year budget and appropriations. Definitions aside, I agree with you point completely. Non-defense discretionary spending is complained about far too much for its influence on our fiscal crisis. From foreign aid to food stamps to the Dept of Education, these aren't the things that are bankrupting us. We should obviously strive to make non-defense discretionary spending more efficient, but any talk of solving the budget crisis without defense and entitlement spending is empty. I hate the term grand bargain, but that's what it is going to take. A group of people from both sides that agree to real reform in entitlements coupled with a real reduction in defense spending. Only when both sides feel like they lost are we going to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    There are lots of tax breaks like that. I'm not sure what you point is. I would like to see a much simpler tax code that eliminates breaks that favor few.
                    In my experience, when people refer to a tax cut as some kind of "handout" it is generally in the context of a cut that seems unfairly biased to a particular group or demographic. Handout is probably the wrong word, but I understand the sentiment.

Of course, it would be impossible to come up with a cut that people universally accept as fair.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Entitlements typically means SS/Medicare and federal employee pensions, i.e. benefits that are required to be paid in the future by law. Discretionary spending is year to year budget and appropriations. Definitions aside, I agree with you point completely. Non-defense discretionary spending is complained about far too much for its influence on our fiscal crisis. From foreign aid to food stamps to the Dept of Education, these aren't the things that are bankrupting us. We should obviously strive to make non-defense discretionary spending more efficient, but any talk of solving the budget crisis without defense and entitlement spending is empty. I hate the term grand bargain, but that's what it is going to take. A group of people from both sides that agree to real reform in entitlements coupled with a real reduction in defense spending. Only when both sides feel like they lost are we going to win.
                      In general I agree with this. Even though I agree with some fo Trump's foreign policy changes (as discussed elsewhere, a good example was the approach to ISIS which seems to have worked fairly well, even if there had to be some cooperation with those freaking Russians to do it), I generally fear them because we simply cannot afford any more wars or entanglements. We cant even afford the ones we are currently in. We need to retrench and to do so significantly.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Apparently Clint doesn't care that he is paying more taxes (and people will die)...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Apparently Clint doesn't care that he is paying more taxes (and people will die)...

Bar none!

Comment

Apparently Clint doesn't care that he is paying more taxes (and people will die)...

Just FTR, that is not really Clint Eastwood. Lest some be vexed and annoyed.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              More fake news from Uncle Ted.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Clint Eastwood is a Russian Hacker!?!
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X