Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    They have been quiet since the wheels off press conference. Some will probably be back at some point to defend some more. But I do think Trump with his performance knocked a few others off his own bandwagon.
    While I've never been on the Trump bandwagon, this recent issue ha snare me want to vote for anyone against him. I've never cast a vote aimed at just making sure someone doesn't get elected, but next election that will be the case. His difficulty in denouncing Nazis is mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      That's the beauty of the way he phrased it, isn't it? Why not just a simple "racist violence against immigrants is repugnant?" Not much a KKK or neo-nazi can take license from to that statement. But the way he did say it -- to someone who wants to believe the victims didn't merit being called Americans, it's throwing them a bone or a wink and a nudge, as if to say, "yeah, I get it, we have to slam the damn doors shut to these folks." Sure, unless you can read Trump's mind you don't know for sure. But you have to admit it's a lot easier to read that mind after tonight.

There is nothing new about public officials talking in this kind of doublespeak. It's been going on for the entire history of racist hate groups having to be underground. To people like David Duke it is loud and clear that this public official is with them, thus his statements at the riot/rally. To nice folks it goes over their heads.
      And if he had said "violence against immigrants is repugnant" there would be people beating the drum that Trump hates all immigrants and doesn't see them as Americans. Either way he loses.

I've said it over and over again - the guy is an idiot. I disagree about this particular incident you point out - I don't think he thought it through enough to think that it was a wink-wink nod-nod statement telling people to go ahead and kill non-Americans.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

This last press conference was just more Trump idiocy. Flipping radio stations this morning (so I have no idea who it was who said it) someone was making some comments early today that I could agree with.

Basically - he said that while it is true that violence of any kind and against anyone is bad, you cannot "cross the streams". He said that Trump needed to make statements Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday that racism is wrong and the white supremacist rally was repugnant. All day. Every day.

Then maybe on Wednesday he can say that the violence from the counter protestors is wrong. But you can't mix these statements. You can't give room for people to believe that there is any kind of equivalency between the two. They have to be addressed as separate issues - because they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Just saw the press conference. The President of the United States refuses to unequivocally condemns Nazi, proving that the prior statement of condemnation was a farce. That is just unbelievable.

John Kasich on TV this morning eviscerating Trump. Not sure I ever recall a president so thoroughly condemned the leaders of his own party. And rightly so.

Yes, at this point anyone still trying to parse and equivocate and defend Trump is an idiot. Good grief, there is no way to spin this. He has crossed a very bright line.
        Kasich has always been my guy. I have admired him since the 1993 budget fight.

I said right after the election that the best case scenario for our country is that Trump dies of natural causes shortly after taking office. I believe that more than ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          Kasich has always been my guy. I have admired him since the 1993 budget fight.

I said right after the election that the best case scenario for our country is that Trump dies of natural causes shortly after taking office. I believe that more than ever.
          Kasich never compromised or fell in line behind Trump. He is a rare politician who is genuinely pragmatic. I'd have wanted him over Hillary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            While I've never been on the Trump bandwagon, this recent issue ha snare me want to vote for anyone against him. I've never cast a vote aimed at just making sure someone doesn't get elected, but next election that will be the case. His difficulty in denouncing Nazis is mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing.

Welcome to where I was last election.

Check out this poll asking if the alt-right were right, or at least had a point in the Charlottesville protest:

Congrats, GOP. You've made me a Democrat voter. Do tell when you grow up and become a serious party again.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Welcome to where I was last election.

Check out this poll asking if the alt-right were right, or at least had a point in the Charlottesville protest:

Congrats, GOP. You've made me a Democrat voter. Do tell when you grow up and become a serious party again.
              Yikes. The highjacking of the GOP by the altright is insane. At what point do McConnell and Ryan just flat out denounce Trump? I wish they'd do it regardless of the impact to their political careers.

And 21% of Dems think the Nazis are right or at least have a point? Come on Dems, that percentage is too high. Pull it together...oh, and don't nominate a Clinton again.

Last edited by Moliere; 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The Republicans should be sizing up every investigation of Trump with an eye for impeachment, if they haven't been doing so already. That's their best shot to have a party in 2018.
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  The Republicans should be sizing up every investigation of Trump with an eye for impeachment, if they haven't been doing so already. That's their best shot to have a party in 2018.
                  Absolutely. There have been rumblings for a while that Pence has been walking a tightrope behind the scenes (and publicly) trying to keep himself viable in the event of Trump's removal.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    From 05-31-2017, 06:45 PM

Sure seems you have a preference.
                    And so I did say that. In the context of Clinton's comments about inheriting nothing from the DNC. And, to give me a little slack, it was in May before this latest round of bad judgment by Trump. All I can say to defend myself is that in the moment of decision, and as much as I could not stand Clinton, I did not vote for Trump, nor for the libertarian (who, in what might be even worse than Trump, couldn't even decide if fighting real nazis, as opposed to weekend dress up ones, was a good idea or not).

Trump is awful, too. And becasue he won, he has the opportunity to prove daily how bad he is. Clinton's awfulness as president is only theoretical.

Here's the thing: I think that despite the hope and promise of his initial election, Obama led the nation down some paths that have increased rather than diminished the divisions among us. It is possible that doing so was necessary, that things had to be more open before they could be fixed. But it is also possible that it took us to a point where many people felt disconnected from the process (and I think Trump's victory suggests this is true). I also believe that many of the democratic policies (and a fair few republican ones) are opposed to the principles that make this country what it is (or the ideal of what it could be). It seems to me that many people are in such a headlong rush to criticize Trump that they lose sight of any possible explanation for his conduct that does not conclude with him being evil. It is impossible to analyze him by the standard of the presidency becasue he simply is not and never will be presidential. He is a clown and always will be.

The neo-nazi/white supremacist groups are an embarrassment to our history and our ideals. But they have the right to hold those opinions. They do not, however, have the right to act violently toward anyone for any reason. Likewise, the people opposing them have the right to hold their opinions but also do not have the right to react violently. I fully believe that the Neo nazis deserve all the scorn they receive for their ideas, but they do not deserve to be violently attacked. Violence simply has no place here.

That all said, in thinking about it last night, there can be little question that trump is playing some sort of game. Whether it is ego driven in his battle with the press, or whether he thinks he needs the support of the alt right, or whether he harbors racist tendencies, he is acting the way he does becasue he wants to make some sort of point. Whatever the point is, it is not worthy of the president and as it is being asserted it serves to further polarize the nation, which ulitmately is not good for anyone.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                      The Republicans should be sizing up every investigation of Trump with an eye for impeachment, if they haven't been doing so already. That's their best shot to have a party in 2018.
                      Yeah. I was chuckling thinking of the early wild speculations that Trump was a DNC plant. Truth be told, he couldn't be doing a better job at destroying the GOP if he was. Dude is absolutely wrecking shop. Every day it's a brand new unprecedented f*k up. Immigration, North Korea, Nazis, Putin, Trump Jr., Comey, Sessions, Ivanka's handbags, David Duke- international man of mystery, Golf, Depends undergarments, phone call with Australia, pushing Heads of state out from in front of the camera, etc etc etc Holy Shit this is a Billy Joel song and we're only 6 months in!! Get this asshole out of office, already!
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

There's plenty of room on the band-wagon. Welcome!

Comment

Yeah, there are your typical Trump gaffes/blunders and then there is this. This is a whole different category.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Some of my best tweets are in reply to our commander and chief, but they get lost in the massive shitshow of replies to Trump.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              Some of my best tweets are in reply to our commander and chief, but they get lost in the massive shitshow of replies to Trump.
                              If they were that great, Trump would have blocked you by now. SJBH.

Comment

• I get a kick out of the total lack of respect the press has for The Dump.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X