No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one thing i've learned about sous vide: garlic salt>fresh garlic.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      one thing i've learned about sous vide: garlic salt>fresh garlic.
      One thing I've learned about garlic salt is that it is generally worthless because it is about 95% salt and 5% garlic. You sure you don't mean garlic powder?
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        One thing I've learned about garlic salt is that it is generally worthless because it is about 95% salt and 5% garlic. You sure you don't mean garlic powder?
        garlic salt. instead of salt too bro.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Just got this in the email:

Happy Mother's Day from Anova.

Today only, save $50 on the Anova Precision Cooker with promo code: LUVMOM50. Expires at midnight!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The app is a PITA. I wish there was just a button to raise or lower the target temperature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              I've done eggs several times. Like Jay, I've found that they are a little more underdone than they "should" be. I think for hard cooked eggs sous vide works well, because you can get them to the exact temperature you need while ensuring the yolks don't dry.

Soft cooked, I am not as sure about. Sous vide's strength is obviously an even, sustained temperature, and, to me, the perfect soft-cooked egg is not even. The white should be more done than the yolk. So with sous vide, I tend to either get whites that are not as done as I'd like, or yolks that are more done than I would like. I've thought about trying the method Drunk Tank talked about, with a quick boil first, but at that point the egg is basically done to my liking so what's the point? I think with soft cooked, the traditional method is actually better because it is not an even cooking method.
              With more analysis and experimentation, I agree with this. I think the issue is that I like my whites done more than my yolks. So when they're all cooked at same temperature, the whites feel underdone. Bummer, because it's almost perfect. Still pretty good. I've setttle on 153.

Comment

• Took a salmon fillet straight from the freezer, those that are sold in two lb bags, individually wrapped. Threw in just using the existing packaging, for one hour at 115. Better than any restaurant (cooked) salmon I've ever had. I'm going to try again at lower temp.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Took a salmon fillet straight from the freezer, those that are sold in two lb bags, individually wrapped. Threw in just using the existing packaging, for one hour at 115. Better than any restaurant (cooked) salmon I've ever had. I'm going to try again at lower temp.
                  I buy the chicken breast packs from Costco. The breasts are sectioned off in twos sealed in plastic. I've wondered about use Sous Vide to cook them right in their individual packs but I think they might have too much air to sink.

Also my last sous vide attempt at steak resulted in food poisoning. Not sure if it was the steak or something in the Montreal Steak Seasoning I used. All I know is I got sick just after I went to bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Just got this in the email:
                    In case anyone missed it, Amazon currently has $40 off on the Bluetooth version ($109), and $30 off on the wifi version ($169).
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I suck at bbq, so I'm going to try this for Sunday dinner. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/t...pork-ribs.html

Sous vide for 48 hrs at 141. I'm cooking as is with nothing added. Then I'm going to add the dry rub and smoke flavor and put in fridge for a few hours. Then do the dry-style grill finish.

Comment

Did some big thick pork chops last night in the sous vide. Marinated the chops in an asian sauce then grilled and served with more of the sauce and topped with green onion and cilantro. Delish.

However... I did the searing using a cast iron pan as usual. I got distracted as the pan was heating up and when I through the chops on, the kitchen (and house) was immediately filled with smoke. I use avocado oil, so I think the marinate and the high heat were the problem. We had to open all the windows and turn on some fans. 2-3 hours later and house still smelled greasy. My wife (who is super sensitive to smells) informed me that we have done our last sous vide meal.

Desperate times call for desperate measures so I did some research on outdoor searing. Looked at lots of options, but ended up buying this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...f_rd_i=desktop

In addition to sous vide, I look forward to using it for Korean BBQ, Japanese yakiniku, and other dishes cooked at the table. Not to mention camping, I guess. Excited to give it a shot. I will return and report.
                        The more I use this thing, the more I love it. We wanted to do some stir fry the other night so I busted it out. We have a couple of woks, but I have never been able to get sufficient heat from our kitchen range to do them justice. I fired this baby up on high and in a couple of minutes my wok was smoking. I threw the ingredients in with some oil and it worked beautifully. It was so so hot that I had to wear a glove on the hand I was using to stir. Results were fantastic.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I suck at bbq, so I'm going to try this for Sunday dinner. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/t...pork-ribs.html

Sous vide for 48 hrs at 141. I'm cooking as is with nothing added. Then I'm going to add the dry rub and smoke flavor and put in fridge for a few hours. Then do the dry-style grill finish.
                          OK, so...

Ribs came out of the sous bide incredibly tender. It was difficult to touch them without having them fall apart. I added the rub and liquid smoke, put in fridge, pulled out after a few hours, and grilled. Cold, they were easier to move onto the grill. After some time on the grill to heat them up and add a little bit of finishing, they were done.

Taste: incredible (except of being too fatty)
                          Texture: mostly perfect, but some of the meat seemed a little chewy, not sure if it was due to grilling too long at the end or what
                          Biggest problem: too fatty. I don't know if a) due to diet of eating lean protein last month the meat just seemed too fatty b) low quality ribs to start with or c) the cooking process because of the very low temp, kept more of the fat with the meat and didn't render it. My gut is that it's a little of a and b but also some due to c.

Any ideas how to improve this method?

Comment

OK, so...

Ribs came out of the sous bide incredibly tender. It was difficult to touch them without having them fall apart. I added the rub and liquid smoke, put in fridge, pulled out after a few hours, and grilled. Cold, they were easier to move onto the grill. After some time on the grill to heat them up and add a little bit of finishing, they were done.

Taste: incredible (except of being too fatty)
                            Texture: mostly perfect, but some of the meat seemed a little chewy, not sure if it was due to grilling too long at the end or what
                            Biggest problem: too fatty. I don't know if a) due to diet of eating lean protein last month the meat just seemed too fatty b) low quality ribs to start with or c) the cooking process because of the very low temp, kept more of the fat with the meat and didn't render it. My gut is that it's a little of a and b but also some due to c.

Any ideas how to improve this method?
                            Buy a smoker.

Comment

Buy a smoker.
                              I bought a cheap one and tried a few times. But I never had good results and gave up.

Comment

I bought a cheap one and tried a few times. But I never had good results and gave up.
                                Quitter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X