Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
    You need about 4-6mbps per "HD" stream maybe. 4K streams are more like 20mbps.

The question is are you really getting 100mbps. Try going to Netflix's speed test ( http://fast.com ) and seeing what it says. That will give a good idea how many Netflix streams your internet can support.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
      I'm all in on streaming, and i have a 100 Mbps connection. Plenty for all.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I've liked Playstation Vue for the most part. Between that and Fox Sports Now I can watch the Sunday NFL games. They did just remove all Viacom channels from their lineup. The only Viacom offering I miss is Comedy Central.
        Last edited by Shaka; 11-13-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Cutting the cord

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I assume you mean 100 mbps. You should be fine.
          Yes, sorry

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm good on internet until google decides to come to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Yes, sorry

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm good on internet until google decides to come to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Google isn't doing that anymore.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              I've liked Playstation Vue for the most part. Between that and Fox Sports Now I can watch the Sunday NFL games. They did just remove all Viacom channels from their lineup. The only Viacom offering I miss is Comedy Central.
              I got Vue just for football season, I don't watch anything else. There's such a huge amount of stuff on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu that I simply don't miss the cable channels

I also think the transmission looks better streaming through Vue. It seemed like they compressed the signal a ton and you weren't really getting 720p/1080i/p
              Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 11-13-2016, 07:12 PM.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                I got Vue just for football season, I don't watch anything else. There's such a huge amount of stuff on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu that I simply don't miss it.

I also think the transmission looks better streaming through Vue. It seemed like they compressed the signal a ton and you weren't really getting 720p/1080i/p
                I gave up Netflix and now just use Hulu, PSVue, and HBO NOW. I have more than enough content. Plenty of movies available too. I haven't used my Apple TV to rent a movie in a few months.

Comment

The AT&T/Directv Now streaming service (their answer to Dish's SlingTV service) seems interesting... And you may get a "free" AppleTV for signing up. 100 channels for $35/mo. It is not clear what channels will be included. The only confirmed channels is what was leaked in a screen capture or something like.

AT&T will hand out free Apple TVs for subscribers on its new $35 streaming service

Two weeks ago, AT&T signaled its plan to make inroads in the TV space via a new Internet-only subscription service dubbed DirecTV Now. Priced at just $35/month and boasting upwards of 100 channels, DirecTV Now offers an incredibly enticing value proposition for consumers who are angling to cut the cord but who aren’t yet ready to survive solely on a diet consisting of Netflix and Hulu.

Now comes word via our sister site Variety that AT&T, in an effort to make DirecTV Now even more of an attractive deal, will be giving away free Apple TV units and Fire TV Stick devices to new subscribers. Specifically, subscribers who commit to a three month subscription will get a brand new Apple TV while subscribers who commit to one month will receive a Fire TV Stick. Coupled with an attractive $35 price point, DirecTV Now is an incredible deal.

As for the full selection of channels that will be available via DirecTV Now, nothing official has been released yet. Still, some of the rumored stations include MTV, TBS, A&E, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, truTV, TNT, Nickelodeon, TV Land and more. Of course, availability — especially with respect to live programming — will vary based on licensing regulations across different geographic regions.

One final note worth mentioning is that DirecTV Now will reportedly give subscribers a 72-hour window where they can use an on-demand service to catch up on recently aired shows that they missed.
                  http://bgr.com/2016/11/07/att-directv-now-apple-tv/
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I tried PSVue again on the Roku. It would let me pause live ESPN programming, but only for about five minutes. Wouldn't let me rewind or skip back for instant replay. Couldn't really use it to skip commercials and such during the games. Seemed like they were just integrating the WatchESPN functionality.

So I went back to DirecTV.
                    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    The AT&T/Directv Now streaming service (their answer to Dish's SlingTV service) seems interesting... And you may get a "free" AppleTV for signing up. 100 channels for $35/mo. It is not clear what channels will be included. The only confirmed channels is what was leaked in a screen capture or something like.

http://bgr.com/2016/11/07/att-directv-now-apple-tv/
                    Any info on whether it will have full DVR capability on live sporting events?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      I tried PSVue again on the Roku. It would let me pause live ESPN programming, but only for about five minutes. Wouldn't let me rewind or skip back for instant replay. Couldn't really use it to skip commercials and such during the games. Seemed like they were just integrating the WatchESPN functionality.

So I went back to DirecTV.

Any info on whether it will have full DVR capability on live sporting events?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      They need to fix the interface and come out with a dedicated streaming box. I think fitting it into the shell of a Roku might be limiting. I also think it's high time they got hard drives on these streaming boxes so you could have an actual DVR. The PSVue DVR is ok but it messes up quite a bit.

Comment

They need to fix the interface and come out with a dedicated streaming box. I think fitting it into the shell of a Roku might be limiting. I also think it's high time they got hard drives on these streaming boxes so you could have an actual DVR. The PSVue DVR is ok but it messes up quite a bit.
                        It works better on a Playstation.

A cloud based DVR with live streaming content has its limitations right now, obviously.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          You need about 4-6mbps per "HD" stream maybe. 4K streams are more like 20mbps.

The question is are you really getting 100mbps. Try going to Netflix's speed test ( http://fast.com ) and seeing what it says. That will give a good idea how many Netflix streams your internet can support.
                          It depends for some reason on the location of the TV/computer in the house. In my study I get 112 mbps. Upstairs, the apple tv only gets 92mbps. It's likely due to the longer cable that runs upstairs. But either speeds are good enough.

I've now got all connection points wired with RJ45 connectors and cat cables. I've got a free trial to Sling and Hulu. Both seem to work flawlessly, although the channel order in Sling will take some getting used to. In all, I'll be paying around $50/month although I could go cheaper if I wanted but I want Fox Sports and a couple other channels. I'm currently paying $125 with Dish, so there is some savings.

My next buy will have to be an OTA antenna. I haven't even starting looking for one. Any thoughts there?
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

PM DH.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It depends for some reason on the location of the TV/computer in the house. In my study I get 112 mbps. Upstairs, the apple tv only gets 92mbps. It's likely due to the longer cable that runs upstairs. But either speeds are good enough.

I've now got all connection points wired with RJ45 connectors and cat cables. I've got a free trial to Sling and Hulu. Both seem to work flawlessly, although the channel order in Sling will take some getting used to. In all, I'll be paying around $50/month although I could go cheaper if I wanted but I want Fox Sports and a couple other channels. I'm currently paying $125 with Dish, so there is some savings.

My next buy will have to be an OTA antenna. I haven't even starting looking for one. Any thoughts there?
                              Depends on how a lot of factors: how far you are from the transmitters, line of sight, etc. Of course, in your area you have all those damn trees.

Take a look at http://antennaweb.org and http://www.tvfool.com

Also, http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-...-hd-1569752514

The electrical engineer in me likes the Yagi UHF style of antenna but your wife my not like that thing on your roof.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have an indoor antenna propped up on a step ladder outside on a corner of my house that no one can see. I haven't gotten around to putting something on my roof that's more permanent.

It works fine, the wind can blow it down into the dirt and I still pick up all the channels except the Fox affiliate. The antenna sucked when it was actually inside, outside it works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X