No announcement yet.

Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkyDrive has changed their name to OneDrive, and if you sign up you get 7 gigs free. I guess I'm a convert as I use OneDrive as my main depository (repository?) for personal files, and Dropbox for professional files to share.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      SkyDrive has changed their name to OneDrive, and if you sign up you get 7 gigs free. I guess I'm a convert as I use OneDrive as my main depository for personal files, and Dropbox for professional files to share.
      And it is buggy as hell. What a disastrous roll-out.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        And it is buggy as hell. What a disastrous roll-out.
        I guess I'm not up-to-date. I withdraw my recommendation.

What's the problem with OneDrive?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          I guess I'm not up-to-date. I withdraw my recommendation.

What's the problem with OneDrive?
          I use OneNote and store all of my notebooks on my SkyDrive (now OneDrive) account on the cloud. Completely stopped working today. I spent several hours trying to fix it. Nothing but error messages.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i've had a bunch of problems with skydrive's authentication server for quite a while. i finally just wrote a batch script to force kill the process, delete skydrive from the credential manager, and reopen whatever i was working in so i can manually login. i have to run it 2-3 times per day. it seems like the best solution for now.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...ery.html#item0

Comment

Was reading some movie reviews for Locke and stumbled on this LA Times piece about "The Grand Pour":

<http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-w...#axzz30d6HVucC>

Behind the Grand Pour: Building L.A.'s new tallest tower

Over the next three years, workers will raise the New Wilshire Grand tower 1,100 feet above the corner of Figueroa Street and Wilshire Boulevard. With an open promenade and an enormous swoop of glass above the entrance, this translucent airplane wing 73 stories tall promises to redefine architectural possibilities in a city not known for its tall buildings.

Beneath its design is the engineering of what is arguably the most complicated high-rise ever built in the United States. Calculated to sway during powerful Santa Anas and absorb ground movement during the most severe earthquakes, it is wedded aesthetically and technically to the unique footprint of the region.

[...]

Let other skyscrapers in other cities be built upon piles and caissons driven into bedrock. The foundation for the Wilshire Grand is a concrete slab.

Its specifications were drawn up by engineers, who after calculating the height and weight of the tower and the forces associated with earthquakes and windstorms, determined that it needed to contain 21,200 cubic yards of concrete and 7.1 million pounds of reinforcing steel ... 2,120 truckloads of concrete in a hole 18 feet deep and nearly two-thirds the size of a football field. It had to be poured without interruption in less than 30 hours.

[...]

Marchesano and his team had begun preparing nearly a year earlier: filing permits for street closures, having bus lines rerouted, ordering back-up equipment and calculating drive times.

More than 350 workers would be on site, and 227 trucks on the road, looping from batch plants to downtown and back. Any glitch, injury, accident or freeway snarl would jeopardize the plan, and that wasn't even taking into account the weather. Rain or a heat wave could force delays.
                Fascinating read... especially for the engineers.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

As I do every Thursday, I was perusing OUT, when I came across a nice little article. Robert Deniro talks about his gay father, in preparation for an upcoming HBO documentary.

Comment

This is grotty to the max, but just like with any submarine wreck, you can't look away.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      This is grotty to the max, but just like with any submarine wreck, you can't look away.
                      Two points:
                      A) I always thought it was grody. However, I can't recall ever writing that word, regardless of spelling
                      2) Get that zappato junk, in some other thread. That was neither interesting, nor was there anything to read other than a few dumb comments at the bottom.
                      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 06-03-2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                        Was reading some movie reviews for Locke and stumbled on this LA Times piece about "The Grand Pour":

<http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-w...#axzz30d6HVucC>

Fascinating read... especially for the engineers.
                        I've been watching this go up. The cooling system mentioned in the article you linked reminds me of what was done with the Hoover Dam.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          Two points:
                          A) I always thought it was grody. However, I can't recall ever recall writing that word, regardless of spelling
                          Grody or grodie are both correct. Grotty is the diminutive form of the place where Hugh takes the bunnies.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Grody or grodie are both correct. Grotty is the diminutive form of the place where Hugh takes the bunnies.
                            http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grotty
                            See also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwnage
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

That crap means nothing to me.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                That crap means nothing to me.
                                http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duh

Comment

Working...
                                X