Setting off the smoke alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting off the smoke alarm

I did it again. I set off the smoke alarm. I was cooking some sausage links in a frying pan, had the heat up a little bit too high and didn't have the vent over the gas range turned on like apparently I should have. I thought my wife was still asleep, which made me feel bad, but she said she was awake, just not up yet. I don't think anybody could sleep through all of the smoke alarms in the house beeping at once.

In more modern houses with smoke alarms connected to the house power and the 9v battery only there for backup, when one goes off they all join the party, so to speak. My house in Folsom, built around 2000, would do that. My current house, built in 2017 definitely does it. The one in Pleasanton, with independent battery-only smoke alarms, only had one go off if you managed to have a cooking error.

At least I was producing legitimate smoke. My wife set the smoke alarm off a few months ago while boiling water. She had a pan a bit too small for the burner, had it turned on high, and one of the black plastic handles on the side actually caught fire. That one was a valid warning.

Anybody else ever set off your smoke alarms?

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      I did it again. I set off the smoke alarm. I was cooking some sausage links in a frying pan, had the heat up a little bit too high and didn't have the vent over the gas range turned on like apparently I should have. I thought my wife was still asleep, which made me feel bad, but she said she was awake, just not up yet. I don't think anybody could sleep through all of the smoke alarms in the house beeping at once.

In more modern houses with smoke alarms connected to the house power and the 9v battery only there for backup, when one goes off they all join the party, so to speak. My house in Folsom, built around 2000, would do that. My current house, built in 2017 definitely does it. The one in Pleasanton, with independent battery-only smoke alarms, only had one go off if you managed to have a cooking error.

At least I was producing legitimate smoke. My wife set the smoke alarm off a few months ago while boiling water. She had a pan a bit too small for the burner, had it turned on high, and one of the black plastic handles on the side actually caught fire. That one was a valid warning.

Anybody else ever set off your smoke alarms?
      If you read Scott R. Neltson's post this in a sexual connotation - it's pretty funny.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 10-20-2020, 07:11 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I was wondering if this was a euphemism...

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          I was wondering if this was a euphemism...
          Yes I had to read it a couple of times :-)

Comment

Working...
          X