2020 presidential election straw poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 presidential election straw poll

Fusnik seems to think that this board is dominated by trump lovers and trump sympathizers. I think he has misread the room, but let's check the temperature around here, shall we? Anonymous poll. Please chime in.
    Trump
    11.54%
    Biden
    53.85%
    Other
    34.62%
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Fusnik seems to think that this board is dominated by trump lovers and trump sympathizers. I think he has misread the room, but let's check the temperature around here, shall we? Anonymous poll. Please chime in.
    Remember 4 years ago when the pussy tape was released? Everyone said it was over, Reince Preibus asked him to step down, Paul Ryan told the GOP members to run away from him, that a hole Chaffetz said he could never look into his daughters eyes and suooort Trump, etc.

Right after that week I started hearing amongst my IRL conservative friends and probably that psycho Italian poster whatever his name was here, an interesting tidbit, that these white, mostly upper middle class white dudes were the most discriminated class of Americans. The 50-70 year old white male Christian was being oppressed. Before the Comey bull shit a millionaire I know told me the same thing, that he was the most hated person in America, at that point I knew that HRC was going to lose.

Fast forward to today, all those same people are saying hey I wanted to vote for Joe but this court packing stuff is really scary. And I log on here and it’s the same thing, super smart people in bunches over court packing when the pres and VP haven’t guaranteed a peaceful transition if they are to lose.

It’s the boogeyman smart people here are believing in to justify their incoming Trump vote. A couple days ago I thought he’d lose bigly, today I think he’s going to win.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      Remember 4 years ago when the pussy tape was released? Everyone said it was over, Reince Preibus asked him to step down, Paul Ryan told the GOP members to run away from him, that a hole Chaffetz said he could never look into his daughters eyes and suooort Trump, etc.

Right after that week I started hearing amongst my IRL conservative friends and probably that psycho Italian poster whatever his name was here, an interesting tidbit, that these white, mostly upper middle class white dudes were the most discriminated class of Americans. The 50-70 year old white male Christian was being oppressed. Before the Comey bull shit a millionaire I know told me the same thing, that he was the most hated person in America, at that point I knew that HRC was going to lose.

Fast forward to today, all those same people are saying hey I wanted to vote for Joe but this court packing stuff is really scary. And I log on here and it’s the same thing, super smart people in bunches over court packing when the pres and VP haven’t guaranteed a peaceful transition if they are to lose.

It’s the boogeyman smart people here are believing in to justify their incoming Trump vote. A couple days ago I thought he’d lose bigly, today I think he’s going to win.
      I think Trump will get trounced, but after 2016 I have zero confidence in that prediction. He appeals to the very worst in us, as you describe.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

6 votes for 'other,' huh?
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Oops I fat fingered it. Voted for Trump, but meant Biden.

Sure glad that was just for practice!

Comment

I just posted this in the Supreme Court thread but it belongs here; sorry for the double post.

In related news, I submitted my ballot earlier this afternoon. Based on known votes thus far in California, Biden is carrying the state unanimously. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a big fan of Biden, but I think one let's oneself off the hook by voting third party in an election like this one. There are only two people who can win this election, and I think one needs to take some responsibility for Biden if one rejects Trump, which I do enthusiastically. I fully expect to have a lot of problems with a Biden/Harris administration, but I also expect all of those problems to fall within the spectrum of normal political disagreements. I want to obliterate Trumpism.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Exactly those are Trump votes.

If you look at Trump and Biden it’s the choice between a flaming pile of shit or a salmon salad. The ‘other’ voters apparently see those choices and say, I don’t really like fish, how hot is the flaming part of the pile of shit?

Comment

I think Trump is going to lose too. I think he'll get more votes than the pollsters think he will - but he's lost a lot of folks I know who voted for him last time around.

For the record - as long as we're talking about smart people believing in stupid boogeymen - the "peaceful transition" thing has got to be one of the dumbest I've ever heard.

Trump doesn't have a choice. As Biden himself said during the debate - if Trump is voted out, he will be gone. He'll be out of the White House and he won't be president. He doesn't have the support he would need to try to stage any kind of coup. Sure - people will vote for him. But they aren't going to grab their guns and try to keep him in office - not in any meaningful numbers. You may have a handful of kooks like those who wanted to kidnap the governor. But it just isn't going to happen. There will probably be some court fight and some mean words said on twitter. But if he doesn't get the EC numbers he needs to win, Trump will be gone. And there won't be any need for a war or any kind of physical force to get him out.

Comment

I'm not voting for Biden or Trump for the same reason I didn't vote for Hillary or Trump.

Comment

I'm one of the other votes. Don't like either major candidate. But depending on who I talk to it is really a vote for Trump or Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      Oops I fat fingered it. Voted for Trump, but meant Biden.

Sure glad that was just for practice!
                      I fixed it for you. There is an option to adjust the totals.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        I'm not voting for Biden or Trump for the same reason I didn't vote for Hillary or Trump.
                        You don't like participating in national elections in a meaningful way?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post

If individual votes could be weighted for the intensity of the person casting them, Trump would probably win. It's somewhat disturbing to me to see the level of devotion on display from many Trump supporters. It's frankly quite creepy and I can't help but feel they won't take losing well. Conspiracy theories will continue to spiral, Trump will help them to nurse their sense of shared grievance, and I am certain we will see some ugliness in the aftermath.

And I agree that the handwringing about court-packing is mostly misguided. And for some, it will just offer a sober-sounding pretext for doing what they were going to do anyway. Dems are not as cutthroat as Republicans. Their reputation for wimpyness is well-deserved.
                          Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                          --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I fixed it for you. There is an option to adjust the totals.
                            Thanks. I was a little too eager to vote against him.

Comment

I voted "other." May not be a popular opinion, but I may not vote at all in the Presidential election. I don't live in a swing state, so my vote won't make a difference. And it would almost certainly not make a real difference even if I did live in a swing state. To me, voting is a matter of personal principle, not a real decision about who should actually hold office. No single voter has any real say in who should be elected. I also don't think there is anything principled or sacrosanct about the act of voting itself. I think it is the right to vote that is sacrosanct and worthy of ultimate protection. But I think it is completely principled to not exercise that right if you do so consciously and are fully informed.

I don't find either of the major parties' candidates fit for office. If Biden were 12 years younger, I'd very likely be voting for him this year. But he's not. Regardless of whether he has dementia or not, he's clearly lost a step and I don't think we should be electing someone in his condition. His selection of Harris as VP has only confirmed that for me.

There isn't anything that anyone could ever say or do that would cause me to vote for Trump. Didn't vote for him in 2016 and am even more certain that I won't vote for him this year.

Not super familiar with any of the non-major candidates. I'll probably look into them before I submit my ballot to see if there is anyone that compels me to vote for them. To me, though, a vote for a third-party candidate is personally meaningless. So I feel like a non-vote would be more significant.

My non-vote will have no impact on the outcome of the race, but at least I'll feel a little satisfaction in privately protesting the state of our current national politics. Neither major candidate should be sitting in the White House next January, in my opinion. And the best way to communicate my belief on that is to not vote for either of them.

I'll definitely vote down-ballot though. #Cox2020

Comment

Working...
                              X