That Really Happened !?! The official documentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Really Happened !?! The official documentary thread

I thought there was already a documentary aggregator thread. I can only find several individual threads about specific docs.

I recently watch "Who Killed Garrett Phillips" on HBO. it was both heartbreaking and a fascinating. I honestly don't know how racist the legal system is or isn't as a whole. But you definitely don't want to be a black man accused of murder in small town America. This reminded me of "The Case Against Adnan Syed" as far as showing how seemingly unethical the law can be at times, but there weren't the huge leaps in logic and the complete avoidance of Oscam's Razor to think the accused might really be innocent.

I'm run out of foreign series to watch, so would appreciate some good documentaries to check out.

If you've never seen Just Mercy, it isn't exactly a documentary - thought it would make for a good one. But it is telling a true story that is told in the book and is along the lines of the "Who Killed Garrett Phillips" - as far as demonstrating how you don't want to be a Black man accused of murder in small town America in the south.

I enjoyed the 30 for 30 on Bruce Lee - "Be Water".

Comment

13th on Netflix covers how the system is stacked against a black man. It features Bryan Stevenson, the autobiographer who wrote Just Mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I enjoyed the 30 for 30 on Bruce Lee - "Be Water".
        Most all of the 30 for 30s are excellent. I haven't seen the Bruce Lee one yet. Having read some about him in the past, I need to check that out. I'm not sure which is my favorite. but The Two Escobars is near the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Most all of the 30 for 30s are excellent. I haven't seen the Bruce Lee one yet. Having read some about him in the past, I need to check that out. I'm not sure which is my favorite. but The Two Escobars is near the top of the list.
          I was going to say something similar. I recently watched "Slaying the Badger" which was also really good - especially since I didn't know much about Lemond other than that he won the Tour at least a couple of times.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Finally got around to watching "Amy". The documentary about Amy Winehouse. She was so incredibly talented as song-writer and vocalist, but also haunted by so many demons. Well worth the watch, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Comment

Working...
            X