Online school sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I could use to borrow one of BP's kids to run a CAT-6 wire in the attic that I need. Besides being a small space it is too damn hot up there too. I wonder if he rents them out.
    There is one in your area, that needs service hours. Of course he has gained 20 lbs since being there, so he may be too big for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      There is one in your area, that needs service hours. Of course he has gained 20 lbs since being there, so he may be too big for the job.
      A few hours in my attic and he will lose that 20 lbs. Good to hear he is getting fed.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Email from the district earlier today:

Originally posted by WASD
        The Technology Team continued to meet and work with the engineering team from our filtering vendor until 10:30 p.m. last night, at which time our case was transitioned to an engineer in Australia so that work could continue throughout the night.  Members of the West Ada team have been responding to questions from the filter vendor throughout the night. The following changes have been made to improve workstations connectivity.

1. We have modified the way our firewall inspects traffic before sending it on to the filtering servers. This change is designed to improve the filter's ability to establish and maintain the VPN connections from district devices.

2. Filtering engineers have finally identified an issue on one of the main filtering servers.  A corrupt file on the primary server has been causing slowness and impacting the ability of the system to properly balance the load across all our filtering servers. This corruption was identified during testing resolved during the evening.  Filtering tests as of  4:30 a.m. show very responsive performance. Engineers will continue to monitor our system throughout the day to determine if this is an early indicator of a server beginning to fail. Overnight shipments of additional servers are due to arrive today and can be installed if necessary.

3. We have been pushing out a configuration change to our iPads that will allow them to connect without having to establish a VPN connection to the district filter. This change has two benefits, reducing the load on the filter and allowing more students with iPads to begin remote learning. 
        And so, of course, none of my three kids' laptops are working right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Two of the three are currently functioning properly. The district is acknowledging that only minimal improvements have been accomplished so far, and is looking to switch to a backup plan:

The concerted efforts by the West Ada Technology Department and our industry partners (filter vendor, network, firewall and internet service providers) over the last few days have only yielded minimal improvements to our connectivity issues. We are still working with these partners to identify a root cause in an attempt to resolve the issue for all our students at one time.
          As we continue these efforts, we will be finalizing testing on a backup plan we have collaborated on with our filter vendor. This alternative plan will remove the VPN agent from our workstation and implement an alternative strategy for providing filtering to our devices.
          Should we have to implement this backup plan we have no easy way to deploy this change while devices are struggling to connect to our system and are not connect to our network at a school site.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Two of the three are currently functioning properly. The district is acknowledging that only minimal improvements have been accomplished so far, and is looking to switch to a backup plan:

Lol, what a cluster.

Comment

Things went better today. My oldest couldn't connect briefly this afternoon. Otherwise, no problems I'm aware of. District-wide, however, things must not have been as good. They installed a couple new web filtering servers yesterday to ease the traffic, and they helped but are not enough:

The installation of the new web filter appliances yielded critical information. We were able to increase capacity and more students connected to our systems than in previous days. We have been able to evaluate the performance of these new servers and have finally be able to determine that our current filtering method of using VPN filtering agent cannot be supported. The audio and video demands of remote learning simply generate too much traffic for the filter to support.

We will begin implementing our backup plan and transitioning over to the new method of filtering today. This new method will drastically decrease the amount of traffic that will need go through District filters but will still provide the same level of filtering for students.
              They're pushing out another automated update for this conversion, but I did the manual update on all three of our laptops. Everything seems to be working for the moment.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
              X