Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Deep Fryers

  1. #1
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,363

    Default Deep Fryers

    My kid has all of a sudden shown interest in flipping burgers and making fries (thanks to SpongeBob I gather). I've thought about getting a deep fryer but I really only do fry bread ever.

    So... Is it worth it? What size is needed to cook for a family of 4? What do you do with the oil afterwards? Store it in containers? Leave it in the fryer?

  2. #2

    Default

    not worth it. huge mess, need lots of expensive peanut oil, don't really get hot enough to do the job, etc. just go to arctic circle.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    not worth it. huge mess, need lots of expensive peanut oil, don't really get hot enough to do the job, etc. just go to arctic circle.
    I've ended up throwing away every deep fryer I've owned. Not worth it at all.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

  4. #4

    Default

    If you want to fry something, use an enameled Dutch oven and some peanut oil. Oh, and a splatter guard. Much easier cleanup than a fryer.

    Once the oil cools, you can strain the crumbs out and refrigerate and reuse it for up to 6 months or until it is rank. Whichever comes first.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    If you want to fry something, use an enameled Dutch oven and some peanut oil. Oh, and a splatter guard. Much easier cleanup than a fryer.

    Once the oil cools, you can strain the crumbs out and refrigerate and reuse it for up to 6 months or until it is rank. Whichever comes first.
    This.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  6. #6
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    52,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    If you want to fry something, use an enameled Dutch oven and some peanut oil. Oh, and a splatter guard. Much easier cleanup than a fryer.

    Once the oil cools, you can strain the crumbs out and refrigerate and reuse it for up to 6 months or until it is rank. Whichever comes first.
    We use a deep heavy duty pan. We also like to cook outside using my portable Iwatani stove. I can control the heat carefully and the house doesn’t stink afterwards. I also use my thermapen to carefully monitor the temperature. Works great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  7. #7
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    7,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We use a deep heavy duty pan. We also like to cook outside using my portable Iwatani stove. I can control the heat carefully and the house doesn’t stink afterwards. I also use my thermapen to carefully monitor the temperature. Works great.
    Remind me which Iwatani stove you have? I received a cheap butane stove for Christmas and took it camping. I swear it took me 20 minutes to get a pot of water boiling. I know you were raving about the BTU yours puts out, and now I'm thinking maybe I need an upgrade.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    9,163

    Default

    Get one of those cheap fry daddys, and only ever use it for fries. Use it 4-5 times and then change the oil. Or change the oil if the oil has been sitting there for more than a month. If you want, you can filter the oil after use, but if all you ever cook in it are french fries, you should be ok. The best are frozen, seasoned crinkle cut fries.

  9. #9
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    If you want to fry something, use an enameled Dutch oven and some peanut oil. Oh, and a splatter guard. Much easier cleanup than a fryer.

    Once the oil cools, you can strain the crumbs out and refrigerate and reuse it for up to 6 months or until it is rank. Whichever comes first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We use a deep heavy duty pan. We also like to cook outside using my portable Iwatani stove. I can control the heat carefully and the house doesn’t stink afterwards. I also use my thermapen to carefully monitor the temperature. Works great.
    Ok, this actually makes a lot of sense. I guess my initial thought was it would be nice to have something that can easily control a consistent temperature of the oil. It's tough on the stove top to keep it consistent.

  10. #10
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Get one of those cheap fry daddys, and only ever use it for fries. Use it 4-5 times and then change the oil. Or change the oil if the oil has been sitting there for more than a month. If you want, you can filter the oil after use, but if all you ever cook in it are french fries, you should be ok. The best are frozen, seasoned crinkle cut fries.
    I would probably use it to do fry bread, doughnuts, and fish and chips as well. My roommate my freshman year had a fry daddy. I used it to make my Lynn Wilson's burritos palatable after heating them in the microwave for all of fall quarter.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    I would probably use it to do fry bread, doughnuts, and fish and chips as well. My roommate my freshman year had a fry daddy. I used it to make my Lynn Wilson's burritos palatable after heating them in the microwave for all of fall quarter.
    There's your problem right there. I would reduce heating time to just a few minutes.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  12. #12
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    There's your problem right there. I would reduce heating time to just a few minutes.
    Lol. My stream of consciousness style of writing really bites me in ass a lot.

  13. #13
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    Lol. My stream of consciousness style of writing really bites me in ass a lot.
    Sounds painful.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  14. #14
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,721

    Default

    We have a deep fryer and it's a love/hate relationship. I love fried food and make some good homemade fries and scones (or frybread/navajo bread) but it's messy. I'm the only one that cleans it and/or changes the oil. I'm about to the point that I'm going to do what the dude suggests and get a deep pan to use only for frying.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  15. #15
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    52,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Remind me which Iwatani stove you have? I received a cheap butane stove for Christmas and took it camping. I swear it took me 20 minutes to get a pot of water boiling. I know you were raving about the BTU yours puts out, and now I'm thinking maybe I need an upgrade.
    Sorry, I missed this. Here you go:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I still love that little thing with all my heart. We take it camping too.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  16. #16
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,566

    Default

    I use an induction burner and my cast enameled dutch oven for frying. I can adjust the temp in 5° increments to keep a constant temp. I use a Thermoworks dot to keep track of the temp.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  17. #17
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    7,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sorry, I missed this. Here you go:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I still love that little thing with all my heart. We take it camping too.
    Thanks Dude!

    Has anyone tried those air fryers? That just doesn't sound like it's possible. How can you get anything even REMOTELY as good without the high temperature oil? Inconceivable!

    That said - I've noticed some of the versions of the Blackstone's have an air fryer included. So it has me curious.

  18. #18

    Default

    I have one of those large turkey fryers. I've used it a couple of times, but after smoking I'll never fry again. If anyone wants it, just let me know.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    7,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I have one of those large turkey fryers. I've used it a couple of times, but after smoking I'll never fry again. If anyone wants it, just let me know.
    I have one of those too. A fried turkey is nice and all - but so much more mess to clean up than a smoker - and the turkey really isn't that much better.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    7,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I have one of those too. A fried turkey is nice and all - but so much more mess to clean up than a smoker - and the turkey really isn't that much better.
    OK - when I say "that much better" - I should qualify that to say that I like the crispy skin from a fried bird, but the flavor on a smoked bird is better.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    OK - when I say "that much better" - I should qualify that to say that I like the crispy skin from a fried bird, but the flavor on a smoked bird is better.
    Agreed, though I've been able to get a crispy skin im the smoker as well. You need to finish the cooking at a higher temperature.

    Edit: and rub it with olive oil before applying the rub.
    Last edited by Bo Diddley; 09-01-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •