Thread: How American Politics Went Insane

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Default How American Politics Went Insane

I just finished reading an article in The Atlantic written four years ago that has helped me understand a bit better why politics is so screwed up right now: How American Politics Went Insane.

I think the main point is that there used to be party middlemen who could help get reasonable candidates into the primaries. Now things have changed and it is the extreme candidates on both sides who can beat the more moderate candidates in the primaries, then we end up with politicians that can't compromise with the other party, so they don't get anything done.

It also gave a good argument for why "pork" and back room agreements in closed door meetings worked better to get things done than making all parts of the negotiations public as kind of happens now.

It's a long article, but has good food for thought and worth the time to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Final quote at the end of the article
    Our most pressing political problem today is that the country abandoned the establishment, not the other way around.

I remember Bill Clinton's Breakfast Speech and how he single handedly wrested the democratic party away from its lunatic fringe to it's centrist members. No one to do that for the Republicans, unfortunately, although Mitt could still pull out a Hail Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I remember Bill Clinton's Breakfast Speech and how he single handedly wrested the democratic party away from its lunatic fringe to it's centrist members. No one to do that for the Republicans, unfortunately, although Mitt could still pull out a Hail Mary.
    Mitt is the enemy now. His own niece has dropped the use of her last name. Imagine is 3, even 2 other GOP senators sided with Romney during the impeachment proceedings, Trump could have been held accountable, instead the mad king is emboldened and now he is fucking with the census (which isn't any better than fucking with elections) and sabotaging the USPS. The GOP went astray when it catered to the vague and grumpy rambling of the "Tea Party" crowd.