No announcement yet.

Toon Tunes...and other movie songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well criminitly, Trigger. Point that pea shooter the other way!

I enjoy the animated movies with my kids - maybe a little too much sometimes.

The obvious favorites are songs that happen to be in movies. Welcome to the Jungle in Megamind or Back in Black and Crazy Train from the same movie. I love Life is a Highway and Real Gone in Cars - I think Real Gone was actually written for the movie. Shut Up and Drive in Wreck it Ralph is a fun song, as is When Can I See You Again.

Speaking of Ralph - Zero from the second Ralph movie is good. Accidentally in Love from Shrek. Something that I Want from Tangled. Married Life from Up, You've Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story, and Go Ahead and Kiss the Girl from Little Mermaid have already been mentioned.

Everything is Awesome from the Lego movie is super dumb but also has grown on me. I'll Make a Man out of You from Mulan. I love Go the Distance in Hercules, and Zero to Hero is fun too (plus it's one of my favorite pork rubs - so it's got that going for it, which is nice.)

I really enjoy music in the movies. Maybe I'm not picky enough - but there are a ton that I like. This is just scratching the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I love the first half of OBWAT but I find the last half boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Maybe that's just because you were asleep for the second half.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

With over a billion views, even SU loves this one:

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

That is a good one Walter. That movie might be my favorite in the superhero genre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I'm a fan of many of Max Steiner's scores. The Big Sleep is a favorite.

Here's the Love Theme:

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

I love this song and I also have a big crush on the Nightingale.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  QT movies have outstanding soundtracks. Especially Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.
                  Jackie Brown had a better soundtrack than both of those movies.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    Jackie Brown had a better soundtrack than both of those movies.
                    Jackie Brown is great! Rewatched it recently.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Jackie Brown is great! Rewatched it recently.
                      It is one of Tarrantino's more underrated movies. Although I do prefer Pam Greer's work from the 70s for obvious reasons.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

In the non-toon category - i.e., other movie songs - there are a number of older songs that I either didn't know existed before they appeared in a movie, or I discovered that I liked them a lot more after they were used in a movie.

Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation [Ocean's Eleven]
                        Nina Simone - Sinnerman [The Thomas Crown Affair]
                        Dusty Springfield - The Windmills of Your Mind [The earlier Thomas Crown Affair]
                        Velvet Underground - Heroin [The movie about The Doors]
                        Run DMC - Walk This Way [Sahara]

All of the music in American Graffiti, helped me discover a lot of stuff that I liked from late 50's, early 60's.
                        I'm sure there were a few from Home Alone.

I won't count music from a movie about the life of a musician, but many of those movies helped me to appreciate the music of the particular artist.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          Where to begin....

QT films:

1992 Reservoir Dogs
                          1993 True Romance
                          1994 Pulp Fiction
                          Natural Born Killers
                          1995 Four Rooms
                          1996 From Dusk till Dawn
                          1997 Jackie Brown
                          2003 Kill Bill: Volume 1
                          2004 Kill Bill: Volume 2
                          2005 Sin City
                          2007 Grindhouse: Death Proof
                          Grindhouse: Planet Terror
                          2009 Inglourious Basterds
                          2012 Django Unchained
                          2015 The Hateful Eight
                          2019 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Of all of those...I have watched Reservoir Dogs, because I have a friend that ABSOLUTELY RAVED ABOUT IT, and I hated the thing. I was pissed that I sat through it. Pulp Fiction and NBK came out when I was on my mission. Have never had a desire to see either of them. I have seen a little bit here and there of a couple of them, but his movies all have the same feel to them.

Coen Brothers:

1984 Blood Simple
                          1985 Crimewave
                          1987 Raising Arizona
                          1990 Miller's Crossing
                          1991 Barton Fink
                          1994 The Hudsucker Proxy
                          1996 Fargo
                          1998 The Big Lebowski
                          The Naked Man
                          2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou
                          2001 The Man Who Wasn't There
                          2003 Intolerable Cruelty
                          2004 The Ladykillers
                          2007No Country for Old Men
                          2008 Burn After Reading
                          2009 A Serious Man
                          2010 True Grit
                          2012 Gambit
                          2013 Inside
                          2014 Unbroken
                          2015 Bridge of Spies
                          2016 Hail, Caesar!
                          2017 Suburbicon
                          2018 The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

So...a little mea culpa here. I loved Unbroken and Bridge of Spies. LOVED them. But they aren't typical Coen brothers movies which is probably why. No Country for Old Men was okay. True Grit was just okay. OBWAT had a good soundtrack, but the movie was weird as hell. Big Lebowski I didn't enjoy. Never saw Fargo. Don't get the nostalgic love for Raising Arizona.

Movies are a "to each their own...", but I typically don't do dark or odd.
                          Yeah... I don't think you have a fair sample of Tarantino. Reservoir Dogs IS probably his most course, downbeat movie. It's pretty rough. NBK - I'm honestly not a fan, but then again it wasn't directed by Tarantino, either. I bet that movie would have a whole different savor if it was. As it stands, it was directed by Oliver Stone, of whom I am decidedly NOT a fan. I really hated that thing when I watched it as a teenager. I thought it was cynical, crass, and used a very blunt tool to punish its audience with whatever the message was. But that's what Oliver Stone does and that's who he is. Pulp Fiction, however? *chef's kiss*. My favorite QT movie, and the standard by which I judge the rest. Yes, it deals with very course subject matter, but it manages to not be heavy handed and has a breezy, cool feel to it. I think it's night and day in tone to Reservoir Dogs. I think the heaviest Tarantino movie after Reservoir Dogs is the Hateful 8. Which... is kind of the same movie concept, now that I think of it, but both are good. From Dusk Till Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez movie, although the dialogue does sound like QT has a writing credit in there-- love that movie. Probably my favorite 'horror' flick. Jackie Brown is fantastic, and so is Kill Bill-- both riffs on genres that QT loves, and both are excellent. I don't think Sin City is QT at all, but he probably has a producer credit on the film for one reason or another. Death Proof I loved, Inglourius Basterds was great (but pretty heavy for me), loved Django, Hateful 8 was ok, and I really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-- probably the least gory QT film and has all of the same good dialogue writing.
                          Last edited by Commando; 07-29-2020, 07:14 PM.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Yeah... I don't think you have a fair sample of Tarantino. Reservoir Dogs IS probably his most course, downbeat movie. It's pretty rough. NBK - I'm honestly not a fan, but then again it wasn't directed by Tarantino, either. I bet that movie would have a whole different savor if it was. As it stands, it was directed by Oliver Stone, of whom I am decidedly NOT a fan. I really hated that thing when I watched it as a teenager. I thought it was cynical, crass, and used a very blunt tool to punish its audience with whatever the message was. But that's what Oliver Stone does and that's who he is. Pulp Fiction, however? *chef's kiss*. My favorite QT movie, and the standard by which I judge the rest. Yes, it deals with very course subject matter, but it manages to not be heavy handed and has a breezy, cool feel to it. I think it's night and day in tone to Reservoir Dogs. I think the heaviest Tarantino movie after Reservoir Dogs is the Hateful 8. Which... is kind of the same movie concept, now that I think of it, but both are good. From Dusk Till Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez movie, although it does sound like QT has a writing credit in there-- love that movie. Probably my favorite 'horror' flick. Jackie Brown is fantastic, and so is Kill Bill-- both riffs on genres that QT loves, and both are excellent. I don't think Sin City is QT at all, but he probably has a producer credit on the film for one reason or another. Death Proof I loved, Inglourius Basterds was great (but pretty heavy for me), loved Django, Hateful 8 was ok, and I really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-- probably the least gory QT film and has all of the same good dialogue writing.

Totally agree on Pulp Fiction. The gold standard.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              Yeah... I don't think you have a fair sample of Tarantino. Reservoir Dogs IS probably his most course, downbeat movie. It's pretty rough. NBK - I'm honestly not a fan, but then again it wasn't directed by Tarantino, either. I bet that movie would have a whole different savor if it was. As it stands, it was directed by Oliver Stone, of whom I am decidedly NOT a fan. I really hated that thing when I watched it as a teenager. I thought it was cynical, crass, and used a very blunt tool to punish its audience with whatever the message was. But that's what Oliver Stone does and that's who he is. Pulp Fiction, however? *chef's kiss*. My favorite QT movie, and the standard by which I judge the rest. Yes, it deals with very course subject matter, but it manages to not be heavy handed and has a breezy, cool feel to it. I think it's night and day in tone to Reservoir Dogs. I think the heaviest Tarantino movie after Reservoir Dogs is the Hateful 8. Which... is kind of the same movie concept, now that I think of it, but both are good. From Dusk Till Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez movie, although the dialogue does sound like QT has a writing credit in there-- love that movie. Probably my favorite 'horror' flick. Jackie Brown is fantastic, and so is Kill Bill-- both riffs on genres that QT loves, and both are excellent. I don't think Sin City is QT at all, but he probably has a producer credit on the film for one reason or another. Death Proof I loved, Inglourius Basterds was great (but pretty heavy for me), loved Django, Hateful 8 was ok, and I really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-- probably the least gory QT film and has all of the same good dialogue writing.
                              Paul Thomas Anderson is better (by far, in my opinion) than both QT and the Cohens. Since this is a thread about music, I have to say that Jonny Greenwood is a brilliant score writer. His soundtrack to Phantom Thread is amazing and I still listen to it regularly. Not my favorite PTA film (although I did like it), but the music is perfect in my eyes. There Will Be Blood may be the best movie of the century so far, and Greenwood's score was a key element of why that movie was so great.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                                Paul Thomas Anderson is better (by far, in my opinion) than both QT and the Cohens. Since this is a thread about music, I have to say that Jonny Greenwood is a brilliant score writer. His soundtrack to Phantom Thread is amazing and I still listen to it regularly. Not my favorite PTA film (although I did like it), but the music is perfect in my eyes. There Will Be Blood may be the best movie of the century so far, and Greenwood's score was a key element of why that movie was so great.
                                Watched Phantom Thread recently. Huge disappointment.

Comment

Working...
                                X