Thread: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Reparations

Default The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Reparations

I recently received a permaban from the religion category on Cougarboard, for what I believe to be specious reasons. I can live with that (although I'd rather be banned from the political category), but I had one last thing I wanted to share, so I'll do it here.

A few weeks ago, my sister notified me that Amos Brown the religion director at the NAACP, was scheduled to give a fireside to my home stake in the Bay Area. At first I thought he'd be giving it jointly with President Nelson, but it turns out it was only him. She gave me the Zoom link for it, so I participated and there were some excerpts from my notes I'd like to share. [Note that these are notes, not direct quotes.]

Judeo-Christian confession: We have the original sin of race. We must get off the couch and engage in repentance.

The Southern Baptist Church was founded over the issue of slavery. 1975 movie, "The Klansman." Southern Baptist white preacher went to Wake Forest and Johns Hopkins.

Woodrow Wilson, who is responsible for separating government offices based on race, was Presbyterian.

Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville founded by money from slavery. They are still against reparations. They don't follow the Catholics in admitting fault. Georgetown now has scholarship fund for blacks and programs to recruit black professors.

[President Nelson and I] come from common experience of unfortunate struggle.

LDS in upstate NY suffered persecution. We have common bond - persecution.

Make commitment to do better. Work together on education and self-reliance.

The LDS Church is ahead of Southern Baptists in racial reconciliation.

Franklin Graham, Falwell, Paula White, and others are still refusing.
    His locating us ahead of Southern Baptists in the repentance process made me contemplate exactly where we are.

We've made some restitution by teaming up with the NAACP and donating millions of dollars. Although their legal guys says we should donate more, we're not done. Some of Cougarboard's white supremacist coterie dubbed my appellation for the donations "reparations," but I stand by that designation.

We haven't admitted fault.

Catholics have both admitted fault and made restitution.

In our Church, you recognize the sin before you make restitution, but I'm still extremely pleased with this cart-before-horse thing.

Overall, I thought the event was a great idea. The sermon was brief but the Q&A session was about three times as long. We (1) learn to be less racist, (2) get a chance to repent, (3) and get good pub from our association with the NAACP. Win for them, win-win-win for us.
    Last edited by ChinoCoug; 07-18-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
    I recently received a permaban from the religion category on Cougarboard, for what I believe to be specious reasons. I can live with that (although I'd rather be banned from the political category), but I had one last thing I wanted to share, so I'll do it here.

A few weeks ago, my sister notified me that Amos Harel, the religion director at the NAACP, was scheduled to give a fireside to my home stake in the Bay Area. At first I thought he'd be giving it jointly with President Nelson, but it turns out it was only him. She gave me the Zoom link for it, so I participated and there were some excerpts from my notes I'd like to share. [Note that these are notes, not direct quotes.]

His locating us ahead of Southern Baptists in the repentance process made me contemplate exactly where we are.

We've made some restitution by teaming up with the NAACP and donating millions of dollars. Although their legal guys says we should donate more, we're not done. Some of Cougarboard's white supremacist coterie dubbed my appellation for the donations "reparations," but I stand by that designation.

In our Church, you recognize the sin before you make restitution, but I'm still extremely pleased with this cart-before-horse thing.

Overall, I thought the event was a great idea. The sermon was brief but the Q&A session was about three times as long. We (1) learn to be less racist, (2) get a chance to repent, (3) and get good pub from our association with the NAACP. Win for them, win-win-win for us.
    I think that the litigious society we live in keeps groups and organizations from admitting fault all the time. I find it frustrating, but it also completely makes sense to me. Nothing like saying "we did wrong" and then having your exact quote show up in a legal filing when you're getting sued.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Welcome, ChinoCoug. Very interesting post. I hope you stick around.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post

A few weeks ago, my sister notified me that Amos Harel, the religion director at the NAACP, was scheduled to give a fireside to my home stake in the Bay Area. At first I thought he'd be giving it jointly with President Nelson, but it turns out it was only him. She gave me the Zoom link for it, so I participated and there were some excerpts from my notes I'd like to share. [Note that these are notes, not direct quotes.]

That is cool. I like the idea.

I really like this partnership.