Thread: Unity2020 - Why can't this work?

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Default Unity2020 - Why can't this work?

While looking for a reasonable alternative to voting for either the Republican or Democratic candidate in the next presidential election, I ran across a movement that looks promising.

This is the official web site: https://www.articlesofunity.com/

And this has a few more details about the movement: https://medium.com/@ArticlesOfUnity/...y-f544f930d336

This is the basic summary:
    What is it?

We the people draft two candidates: one from the center-left, one from the center-right. Once elected, they agree to govern as a team. All decisions and appointments will be made jointly in the interests of the American public. Only when they cannot reach agreement, or when a decision does not allow for consultation, does the President decide independently. A coin flip determines which candidate runs at the top of the ticket.

Candidates must meet these three criteria:

They must be patriotic
    They must be highly capable
    They must be courageous

After four years in office, the order reverses for the next election. This continues until the American public chooses an alternative administration or one of the members of the team cannot run for re-election, at which point a new patriot would replace them.

The Unity Ticket represents our shared values and vision for the future. Cooperation and necessary compromise pave the path to a functioning and productive government that serves all citizens.
    I told them that they have my vote if they can pull this off.

Other than the obvious issue of not being able to get critical mass to let all voters in the whole country know about this third option, why else is this an idea doomed to failure?

So there's a built in political litmus test? Who's to say center-left or center-right is the direction our country should be going?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    So there's a built in political litmus test? Who's to say center-left or center-right is the direction our country should be going?
    As I read it - I believe this is just a third party proposing candidates for election. In this party, they want to pull in the center. And they realize some center is left leaning and some is right leaning, so they grab one of each. Flip a coin, and the winner gets to be the presidential candidate and the loser the vice presidential candidate - but prior to the election they've made a verbal agreement (I assume - I don't see how this could be contracted) to make decisions together.

So - the litmus test is one of the party's own making. Really no different than current parties vetting potential candidates and not any kind of official change in style of government, just a change in how the party would propose candidates and how the president would utilize his vice president while governing.

Am I understanding that correctly, Scott?

Ballot access in all 50 states, getting on the debate stage (if they happen), general awareness, fundraising, setting up a geographically campaign apparatus to monitor polls and get out the vote, unfair media from both R and D.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Am I understanding that correctly, Scott?
    Sounds close. I'm still trying to understand it all myself. But I consider myself a moderate and have always wanted a moderate third party, so this one is aimed in the right direction for me, at least. I've never liked that the two current parties try to get more extreme to the right and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Sounds close. I'm still trying to understand it all myself. But I consider myself a moderate and have always wanted a moderate third party, so this one is aimed in the right direction for me, at least. I've never liked that the two current parties try to get more extreme to the right and left.
    With this, we certainly agree.

It won't work because it is mealy mouthed. Like many I would like to see more consensus building by our government. However, this approach is so inoffensive it offends nobody. Such an approach will fail to motivate enough to be relevant. Coin flip? That is no way to appeal to the masses.

I am wondering if a more parliamentary approach will help. Let the crazies fan out with high numbers of parties all pushing their favorite pet issue and then build ruling coalitions.

But when we are really honest I think we don't build consensus because we don't want to. We like what we are and we aren't either smart enough or honest enough to recognize what we are dictates what we get and where we are going. Our pastime is finding things wrong with those we oppose. Seriously, Gaylord Perry threw spitballs (and more than once!!!)- why is he in the Hall of Fame?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    While looking for a reasonable alternative to voting for either the Republican or Democratic candidate in the next presidential election, I ran across a movement that looks promising.

This is the official web site: https://www.articlesofunity.com/

And this has a few more details about the movement: https://medium.com/@ArticlesOfUnity/...y-f544f930d336

This is the basic summary:

I told them that they have my vote if they can pull this off.

Other than the obvious issue of not being able to get critical mass to let all voters in the whole country know about this third option, why else is this an idea doomed to failure?
    This is the project of some members of the amorphous IDW. Evolutionary Biologist Bret Weinstein specifically seems to be spearheading. During the Rogan appearance he named his proposed draftees:

Admiral William McRaven and Andrew Yang

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    It won't work because it is mealy mouthed.
    Thanks for sharing your insights.

Good hell! This third party stuff is sick. I hate the two-party system as much as the next guy, but I have NEVER seen an alternative that is viable, and probably never will. Let's face it, this is about getting rid of Trump, plain and simple. If the president was not such a nimrod there would be very little discussion about third party alternatives. That said, if you are not happy with Trump and want to get rid of him, vote for Biden...PLEASE! I don't care if your have to "hold your nose"...just do it! If you are happy with Trump, and think he is the bees knees, I can't help you anyway. So go and do what you are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    Good hell! This third party stuff is sick. I hate the two-party system as much as the next guy, but I have NEVER seen an alternative that is viable, and probably never will. Let's face it, this is about getting rid of Trump, plain and simple. If the president was not such a nimrod there would be very little discussion about third party alternatives. That said, if you are not happy with Trump and want to get rid of him, vote for Biden...PLEASE! I don't care if your have to "hold your nose"...just do it! If you are happy with Trump, and think he is the bees knees, I can't help you anyway. So go and do what you are going to do.
    Here's the thing - I'm happy to get rid of Trump. But the reality is that it isn't just about getting rid of Trump. I think there really are a lot of people in the "middle" who would jump to an option that is more moderate and pragmatic. But both sides political machines are prone to being taken over by the extremely motivated and passionate fringes while the silent majority skips the madness of a caucus meeting and votes in the general election.

But it would take a huge number of them moving now to get either the R's or D's to move closer to center and try to win them back. And I don't think most folks in the middle are all that motivated to do much about it. Napper is most likely right in his assertion that the masses just aren't motivated to get that involved.

The chances of a centrist party gaining traction is very unlikely. The more likely scenario is that a further left or right party gains traction and pushes one of the 2 established parties towards the middle. The way the system is set up though, it is really hard to sustain more than 2 parties. New parties may come but they are likely to replace an existing party and push it out in the current system.

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    I'm not sure they can reach the support they need--though many in the center on both sides are frustrated by the options provided now for the 2nd straight election. The movement does promise to suspend the campaign prior to the general election if there appears to be no way to the presidency. Knowing what I've listened to of the main proponent, I don't believe he would risk another 4 years of Trump. Pretty sure suspension would be followed by a soft endorsement of Biden (at least at the personal level).

First, by bridging the center-left and center-right, the Unity Ticket disempowers both major parties rather than empowering one or the other.​
    Second, the plan includes a fail-safe: if, at a carefully chosen point prior to the General Election, the Unity Ticket has no viable path to the White House, the candidacy will be suspended.
    It's an interesting proposition. If nothing else it provides something to talk about in the political sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Here's the thing - I'm happy to get rid of Trump. But the reality is that it isn't just about getting rid of Trump. I think there really are a lot of people in the "middle" who would jump to an option that is more moderate and pragmatic. But both sides political machines are prone to being taken over by the extremely motivated and passionate fringes while the silent majority skips the madness of a caucus meeting and votes in the general election.

But it would take a huge number of them moving now to get either the R's or D's to move closer to center and try to win them back. And I don't think most folks in the middle are all that motivated to do much about it. Napper is most likely right in his assertion that the masses just aren't motivated to get that involved.
    This, I think is what some groups, such as the Lincoln Project are trying to do. I like their approach because it is an appeal to the moderate Republican wing that has been shut down so effectively by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and others who have made the Republican party into something ugly. I think they acknowledge going one step at a time. First step flushing this disgusting, egocentric, racist blowhard currently in this driver's seat.