Thread: Pounding the Pavement

Default Pounding the Pavement

I don't know if this is appropriate for this site, but thought I would do this anyway and ask for forgiveness later.

Personal big news for me, as of June 30 I'm unemployed. I'm looking under rocks for anything. I am a very experienced HR Director. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry, durable goods manufacturing, and higher education (both public and private). My last gig was with a community college district here in southern California. I did not like the place at all. Very political and frankly, management was totally unethical. I don't mind moving to Utah, if I have to. My kids would love it, but I've lived in California for most of my life and am skeptical of my ability to live in Zion. The affordability of living in Utah, however, seems very appealing.

If any of you know of anyone that is looking right now, please let me know. I'm happy to send my resume to those interested.

Thank you all!!

Good luck OSC. I work at a satellite office that doesn't have HR at it, so I'm not much help, but I'm rooting for you.

sorry to hear, man. best of luck.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Good luck! I feel your pain - I was almost unemployed beginning this month, but got a reprieve until at least the end of October. At that point, I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't know of any HR gigs right now - but if something comes up I'll let you know.

Good luck! I'll keep my ears open.

Not sure that I'll come across anything appealing to you either way, but are you only interested in California or Utah? Would you consider something in Idaho?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Not sure that I'll come across anything appealing to you either way, but are you only interested in California or Utah? Would you consider something in Idaho?
    I lived in Idaho growing up. I am considering everything right now.

Our HR person just left, but I bet it'd be a 50% pay cut to come here, even though the cost of living is somewhere near nothing.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Our HR person just left, but I bet it'd be a 50% pay cut to come here, even though the cost of living is somewhere near nothing.
    Happy to take a look at it...can you please send me a pm?

Have you checked USA jobs for Federal jobs? Most of our HR stuff is out of Columbus Ohio

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Sorry man... Hope you can find something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    Happy to take a look at it...can you please send me a pm?
    I asked about a job posting and they told me that they hired from within. No announcement yet, but, if anything changes, I'll let you know.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    Have you checked USA jobs for Federal jobs? Most of our HR stuff is out of Columbus Ohio
    Will do...thanks man.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    I lived in Idaho growing up. I am considering everything right now.
    Idaho is less crowded, which is why we picked it over Utah for where we wanted our final house to be. And it's only about 20% church members near Boise, so it's a little less like living in Zion.

The last time I was out of work and actually succeeded in finding the right job, I just kept digging for more employment sites until I finally found one local to my area. I examined every company one by one until I found a good match. Ended up working there nine years. But that was after I had exhausted all of the normal employment sites.

I wish you well in your job search. Hang in there.

For those with bad eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    For those with bad eyes:
    It has nothing to do with the eyes. The image was too small for a computer display and no amount of zooming in or anything else would make it readable again.

My bad...I was out on a date with the wife and saw it on the phone. Thought of you here and wanted to post it ASAP. Or I would forget.

Sorry to hear about it OSC. My company decided a few months ago that it would be a good idea to make it much more difficult to search for specific jobs, but I've been checking around a bit and will let you know if I hear anything.

Getting layed off is terrible. It happened to me at the end of March after eleven years at the same company. I got a decent severence package that made it so that I couldn't take advantage of both state and federal unemployment. In June I got headhunted by a startup that couldn't pay anything until it got VC funding. They seemed well positioned so I took a job getting equity shares until funding could be worked out. Fortunately the funding came through and I'm now officially employed again this time as product manager. (Kind of a dumb title because I manage a lot more than that.) My side company has been killing it so I practically lived in St. George and Lake Powell for most of May and June.

In my case being a COVID casualty actually set me up for bigger things. I make more money, have a better work schedule, will be able to live where I want eventually, and get to go to India a couple of times a year. The best part is I've actually saved money and still have all the severance.

Keep your chin up. There are more jobs out there than people think and there's a good chance you will end up in a better situation.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Getting layed off is terrible. It happened to me at the end of March after eleven years at the same company. I got a decent severence package that made it so that I couldn't take advantage of both state and federal unemployment. In June I got headhunted by a startup that couldn't pay anything until it got VC funding. They seemed well positioned so I took a job getting equity shares until funding could be worked out. Fortunately the funding came through and I'm now officially employed again this time as product manager. (Kind of a dumb title because I manage a lot more than that.) My side company has been killing it so I practically lived in St. George and Lake Powell for most of May and June.

In my case being a COVID casualty actually set me up for bigger things. I make more money, have a better work schedule, will be able to live where I want eventually, and get to go to India a couple of times a year. The best part is I've actually saved money and still have all the severance.

Keep your chin up. There are more jobs out there than people think and there's a good chance you will end up in a better situation.
    Bravo. Happy for you.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Sweet. I've been meaning to ask how the side gig was going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I've always come out better overall from a layoff. It doesn't feel like it at the time, and it can be a lot of work (and discouraging) to track down something new, but it can often be the best thing for you in the long run.

I view that as a negative, not a positive.