Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J.K. Rowling and the TERF wars

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Just putting your white privileged on full display here. Racist! (tic if not obvious)
    I gotta be me. If others don't like me for being me, screw 'em.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I gotta be me. If others don't like me for being me, screw 'em.
    I like you.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I like you.
    Whoa, careful. You saying you like me could get you in trouble with those that don't like me. Think about your career and your family. You probably ought to retract your statement and issue an apology to those you just offended.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Whoa, careful. You saying you like me could get you in trouble with those that don't like me. Think about your career and your family. You probably ought to retract your statement and issue an apology to those you just offended.
    Too late for apologies, let's find out where Lebowski works. On second thought, the dude doesn't work, he just abides (and bowls).
    ďNot the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.Ē
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

JKR in her open letter references research conducted by Littman as featured in Quillette recently.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

The "Harper's Letter" continues to generate discussion.

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    JKR in her open letter references research conducted by Littman as featured in Quillette recently.

It's called mass hysteria, and it's definitely a thing.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The "Harper's Letter" continues to generate discussion.
    Maybe not exactly on topic in this thread, but a staff editor and opinion writer for the New York Times posted her resignation letter. It struck a similar tone in some respects to the Pinker quote you shared.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Maybe not exactly on topic in this thread, but a staff editor and opinion writer for the New York Times posted her resignation letter. It struck a similar tone in some respects to the Pinker quote you shared.

Geez, that is depressing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post

I was just seeing that posted by Eric Weinstein, just finished reading it.
    But don't worry, it's just Twitter which shouldn't be taken too seriously, nothing alarming going on here at all.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space.
    Geez, that is depressing.
    I remain pessimistic, though I do see more push back against the cancel culture. We've been through difficulties before, perhaps something will emerge again this time.

Here's Eric's twitter thread about it.

This is two years old, but an interesting counterpoint on Bari Weiss.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/...ticize-israel/

That’s what makes this whole spectacle so amazing: The New York Times is allowing one of its columnists to masquerade as a stalwart defender of campus free speech and academic pluralism while utterly ignoring, and allowing her to falsely deny, her own long history in trying to stigmatize and punish professors who criticized Israel, to the point where the NYCLU stepped in and denounced her campaign as a dangerous threat to academic freedom.

This is two years old, but an interesting counterpoint on Bari Weiss.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/...ticize-israel/
    I kept reading that claim from time to time from the commentariat around the fringes of the IDW since she authored the article in the NYT that provided one of the first large public exposures for the IDW. Since it felt like the typical ad hominem, guilt by association stuff around the IDW, I never spent any time trying to figure out if the claims are valid. There is so much noise around politics, and everything has been politicized.

Not that it matters much in this context. Either the NYT is infested with a toxic culture of a dominant ideology or it isn't. Hypocrisy is not proof of a claim or a counter-claim, it does lose credibility, so greater corroboration is needed. We shall see what else shakes out I suppose.

Sullivan is out at New York Magazine also.

Sullivan is out at New York Magazine also.

Sounds like different circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Pokťmon is not a fad. Go eff yourself
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    At first I didn't know if PinkNews was an Onion-like account.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    At first I didn't know if PinkNews was an Onion-like account.
    Yeah, I'm still just scratching my head.

On the Psychology of Cancel Culture in Psychology Today

Plainly, if there is an activity that will elevate the status of oneself or one’s group, people will do it. One approach to elevation is to do something good. But doing something good requires effort and the possibility of failure. Fortunately, another option exists: Broadcasting the bad behavior of others. This method works because social status is relative. One person losing social rank is the same as another gaining it. If you’re a 6 on the social-status ladder, working up to a 9 is hard. But scheming to bring a 9 down to a 3 is easier and more thrilling. It is much easier to unite people around bringing a 9 down to a 3 than to lift themselves up from a 6 to a 9. Additionally, people are slow to give moral praise for a good act and quick to assign moral blame for a bad one. The relative difficulty of doing something good and the prolonged waiting period to receive credit for it is why cancel culture has flourished. It offers quicker social rewards. Indeed, research shows that people engage in moral grandstanding to enhance their social rank.
    Cancel culture is a collective activity that strengthens social bonds for members within the group. While doing something good can increase the status of one’s group and bring members closer together, it also brings the possibility of failure. It is hard to unite a group to do something good because of this risk. People join in broadcasting the misdeeds of others because it is more fun for them. It offers status and social solidarity at little cost.
    Cancel culture is group gossip applied and amplified via modern media.

Sounds like different circumstances.
    Compare Bari's resignation letter to Sullivan's last column out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bari Weiss
    What rules that remain at The Times are applied with extreme selectivity. If a personís ideology is in keeping with the new orthodoxy, they and their work remain unscrutinized. Everyone else lives in fear of the digital thunderdome. Online venom is excused so long as it is directed at the proper targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sullivan
    What has happened, I think, is relatively simple: A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me, and, in a time of ever tightening budgets, Iím a luxury item they donít want to afford. And thatís entirely their prerogative. They seem to believe, and this is increasingly the orthodoxy in mainstream media, that any writer not actively committed to critical theory in questions of race, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity is actively, physically harming co-workers merely by existing in the same virtual space. Actually attacking, and even mocking, critical theoryís ideas and methods, as I have done continually in this space, is therefore out of sync with the values of Vox Media. That, to the best of my understanding, is why Iím out of here.

On the Psychology of Cancel Culture in Psychology Today

Cancel culture is group gossip applied and amplified via modern media.
    That was interesting. That guy is probably going to get cancelled now.

That was interesting. That guy is probably going to get cancelled now.
    I won't be surprised if that gets removed from Psychology Today.

I'm surprised he hasn't been cancelled already. He has all of the wrong opinions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/o...cambridge.html

But I donít want to rehash or defend Dr. Petersonís views here ó heís more than capable of doing that himself. I want to explain what happens to people like me when a place like Cambridge says Dr. Peterson isnít welcome.

My heart dropped into my stomach when I learned that Dr. Petersonís offer from the Divinity School had been revoked. Doing so sends the message that thereís something wrong with people who value his message ó that thereís something wrong with me.

I also recognize that this mirrors the protestersí claims that his invitation makes them feel unwelcome. But I still find myself in a strange position: The Cambridge University studentsí union says Dr. Petersonís views are not representative of the student body. Yet the very reason I am a part of the student body is because of Dr. Peterson.

There may not be a clear solution to this. But if a solution exists at all, it will be found through charitable dialogue and free expression, of the sort that universities are supposed to foster.

More analysis of the attempted Pinker cancellation and cancel culture.

But the hundreds of academics who targeted Pinker were not merely reaffirming sensible, widely agreed upon taboos. They were trying to radically narrow the bounds of acceptable speech and inquiry. A closer look at the letter lays bare the specific ideological orthodoxies and political tests that at least hundreds of linguists now feel comfortable openly imposing on their colleagues.

Maybe it's comforting to know that it's been this way for quite a while.