J.K. Rowling and the TERF wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.K. Rowling and the TERF wars

Anyone else following this? I think it is interesting enough to warrant a dedicated thread. In recent weeks, JK Rowling has made a few tweets pushing back on the notion that there is no such thing as biological sex. This thread really set things off:

Part of the argument is that ignoring sex is harmful to womens rights in the long run.

More recently she argued that we are using hormone therapy far too frequently on small children when anti-depressants might be a safer short-term solution.

Critics call her a TERF which stands for trans-exclusionary radical feminist. She responded with a long essay here:

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j...gender-issues/

And yesterday she and 150 co-authors co-signors published a letter discussing the current assault on free speech and open debate:

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-just...d-open-debate/

Folks are trying to cancel her, but she might be too big to cancel.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Rowling is only the latest manifestation of the crusade against biological sex. She just happens to be uncancelable. Technically they are co-signors, not sure if the authors have been identified.

It's the same ploy as in other intersectional categories, redefine the meaning of terms such as "biological sex", conflate it with the imperfect manifestations of inherent differences and then label everyone who doesn't toe the always moving line as a bigot, misogynist, TERF, etc.

It's been occupying a lot more of my available cycles than it should since Jordan Peterson exploded in January 2018. That was probably the first significant dose of something's going on here that doesn't quite make sense. I have a difficult time leaving stuff alone that doesn't make sense. Been in exploratory mode every since. Looking for root cause it what my mind does (not necessarily successfully).

Comment

Anyone wanting to really explore this, it's a Matrix like red pill, the rabbit hole does indeed go deep. Here's a summary with links. The author is a good follow on twitter and also has a newsletter that he sends out periodically. He's a devourer of books, studies, papers, etc. and regularly contributes snippets on Twitter.

This social phenomenon is spreading beyond our shores. It is the latest American cultural export. Referring to the cancelled video, the Dutch sociologist Dr. Eric C. Hendriks has told me, “This would have been unthinkable in the Netherlands a year ago. Over time, American influence has spread cancel culture here.” The political scientist Joseph Nye advanced the idea of “soft power,” or the ability to influence societies through seduction, persuasion, and pop culture rather than military power. Because America still has reputational prestige across the globe, other societies adopt the views of our credentialed class. These individuals have been manipulating language and norms for personal gain.

Comment

Details of how the letter came about, the fallout, and addressing the criticisms.

https://www.thewrap.com/harpers-lett...omas-williams/

Comment

https://twitter.com/Gladwell/status/1280853862916648960

Comment

Captain Kirk weighs in:

Comment

And here's another analysis of the immediate attempt of censuring the letter.

Because the American left is basically a war zone at the moment—or online it is, at least—what happened next shouldn't surprise anyone: A group of us posted the letter and celebrated it, while another much angrier group denounced it and held it up as proof of…well, whatever it is they hate about us and want to get us fired over (this crowd likes calling the manager). Now, it shouldn't have surprised me—I have been through multiple rounds of this stuff—but I have to admit it did.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                And here's another analysis of the immediate attempt of censuring the letter.
                That is really good.

Blows my mind that people would be upset with that letter. What is wrong with people?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  What is wrong with people?
                  I know it's rhetorical, but what's wrong with people is exactly that we are people.

Comment

And if you want a pessimistic view of where we are at, what this letter is a sign of...read this thread.

Comment

Not sure who else is interested, but I've found this to be an interesting moment.

A response letter has been drafted

There are many Twitter threads around both letters and politicians (AOC) and major outlets are beginning to voice opinions.

This attack on free speech has been brewing for quite a while now. Critical Social Justice Theory itself is opposed to the liberal values that are the foundation of western democracies.

"The defining question is whether the discrimination is creating equity or inequity. If discrimination is creating equity, then it is antiracist. If discrimination is creating inequity, then it is racist. . . . The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination." -- Ibram X. Kendi "How to be an Antiracist".

Comment

I’m interested; I just don’t have anything to add to the conversation. Thanks for posting what you do, and I hope you continue.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

transposing marginal twitter discussions into broader social or philosophical contexts is dangerous.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            transposing marginal twitter discussions into broader social or philosophical contexts is dangerous.
                            What evidence of those discussions being manifest in other contexts would be required for them to be taken seriously, and what contexts would those be?

Comment

Maybe this is helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X