BYU 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU 2020-2021

The only lingering question in this longest of offseason is whether or not Lohner plays next year. If Utah denies his LOI release and he has to sit a year perhaps BYU goes after another transfer, but if that is the case the transfer will have to sit as well. So the only material question is whether or not Lohner plays.

If he does I think this is your rotation:

Starters:

1.) Averette
    2.) Barcello
    3.) Harding
    4.) Baxter
    5.) Haarms

Off the bench you get:

Spencer Johnson at the 2, Caleb Lohner at the 3 and 4, Wyatt Lowell at the 3 and 4, Harward at the 5. If Lohner is not eligible replace Lohner with Gideon George. You might get some minutes for Jessie Wade at the 1 if Pope becomes convinced Wade will be in his rotation the following year but for the most part when Averette is not on the court Barcello will play the 1. I hope BYU redshirts Kolby Lee while Ericson and Knell see mop up minutes.

This is an interesting BYU team. I think it has legitimate actual depth but no real stars/go to players. I doubt anybody plays more than 28 mpg and I think the 9th guy will play 16 so a lot of guys will be in the rotation for significant amounts of time. I like BYU teams where the starters who served missions are outnumbered by the starters who did not. Things often go well those years.

I really like Mark Pope as a coach.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    The only lingering question in this longest of offseason is whether or not Lohner plays next year. If Utah denies his LOI release and he has to sit a year perhaps BYU goes after another transfer, but if that is the case the transfer will have to sit as well. So the only material question is whether or not Lohner plays.
    Pretty sure he has the release. Larry K said no and Harlan overruled him. That is the rumor anyway.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Interesting team. A lot better than what it looked like six months ago. It appears to be at least an average BYU team. #3 in WCC, #50 in the nation type team. It will be fun to see how these new guys do. I think Lohner will play the 4 and 5 at BYU. I think the 5 is his best position right now.

Comment

Lohner's release granted today.

https://twitter.com/JacobCHatch/stat...417536/photo/1
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Interesting team. A lot better than what it looked like six months ago. It appears to be at least an average BYU team. #3 in WCC, #50 in the nation type team. It will be fun to see how these new guys do. I think Lohner will play the 4 and 5 at BYU. I think the 5 is his best position right now.
          I really cannot remember a year where I am more interested in the opening few games. All sorts of questions about who will actually play, what positions the kids will play, what their roles will be and who will step up.

For instance many fans seem convinced that both Haarms and Harward will play significant minutes together with 7'3" Haarms as the 4. I just can't see that happening until I see it. I thought Lohner was a definite 3/4 combo but you tell me he will be a 5. "Who can you trust...who can you trust?"
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I really cannot remember a year where I am more interested in the opening few games. All sorts of questions about who will actually play, what positions the kids will play, what their roles will be and who will step up.

For instance many fans seem convinced that both Haarms and Harward will play significant minutes together with 7'3" Haarms as the 4. I just can't see that happening until I see it. I thought Lohner was a definite 3/4 combo but you tell me he will be a 5. "Who can you trust...who can you trust?"
            People said Childs was a 3 coming out of high school. I said he will be a 4 even sometimes a 5. You trusted me then, you can trust me now.

Comment

If he does I think this is your rotation:

Starters:

1.) Averette
              2.) Barcello
              3.) Harding
              4.) Baxter
              5.) Haarms

Off the bench you get:

Spencer Johnson at the 2, Caleb Lohner at the 3 and 4, Wyatt Lowell at the 3 and 4, Harward at the 5. If Lohner is not eligible replace Lohner with Gideon George. You might get some minutes for Jessie Wade at the 1 if Pope becomes convinced Wade will be in his rotation the following year but for the most part when Averette is not on the court Barcello will play the 1. I hope BYU redshirts Kolby Lee while Ericson and Knell see mop up minutes.

This is an interesting BYU team. I think it has legitimate actual depth but no real stars/go to players. I doubt anybody plays more than 28 mpg and I think the 9th guy will play 16 so a lot of guys will be in the rotation for significant amounts of time. I like BYU teams where the starters who served missions are outnumbered by the starters who did not. Things often go well those years.

I really like Mark Pope as a coach.
              I like what Pope is up to as well.

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is Gavin Baxter. I'm not sure he is a starter with Harward and Lowell being eligible. He's a phenomenal athlete, but not a well-rounded basketball player.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

People said Childs was a 3 coming out of high school. I said he will be a 4 even sometimes a 5. You trusted me then, you can trust me now.
                no, no, no. childs was always a guy you'd throw it to in the post. those saying he would be a three had never seen him play or were very dumb. lohner is more of a big three/stretch 4. he'll play 3 and 4, never 5 - though he should be strong enough and big enough to defend 5s on switches.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  no, no, no. childs was always a guy you'd throw it to in the post. those saying he would be a three had never seen him play or were very dumb. lohner is more of a big three/stretch 4. he'll play 3 and 4, never 5 - though he should be strong enough and big enough to defend 5s on switches.
                  ha. i went back to check my comments on childs to see if i just called myself "very dumb". the answer is sort of. i said childs would play the 4, but could spend some time at 3 depending on matchups and/or to get the best five on the floor - that he was athletic enough to defend 3s.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Absolutely. It should be fun to see how the roster develops, who steps up, and how they all fit together. There seem to be lots of quality pieces. Here's a shot in the dark:

PG Averette (25) Barcelo (10) Wade (5)
                    SG Barcelo (15) Harding (10) Johnson (10) Knell (5)
                    SF Harding (15) Baxter (10) George (10) Lohner (5)
                    PF Baxter (15) Lohner (15) Lowell (10)
                    C Haarms (15) Harward (10) Lowell (10) Lee (5)
                    I feel like I might be undervaluing Lowell and Harward with this allocation. If they go big more, I could see Harding's minutes coming at the SG spot at the expense of Johnson/Knell and maybe even Barcelo.

The playing roster will probably be more compressed - probably won't have 10 different guys getting double-digit minutes.

I'm probably higher on Knell than I have any reason to be.

Averette 25
                    Barcelo 25
                    Harding 25
                    Baxter 25
                    Lowell 20
                    Lohner 20
                    Haarms 15
                    Harward 10
                    Johnson 10
                    George 10
                    Wade 5
                    Knell 5
                    Lee 5

How many minutes are you expecting Lohner to play per game? With his best position right now being the 5, how many minutes are you expecting him at the 5?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Lee gets no respect.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Lee gets no respect.

Robert E. or Kolby?
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          Lee gets no respect.
                          Not disagreeing with you, but where would you propose more minutes come from for him?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Robert E. or Kolby?
                            Yes.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Robert E. or Kolby?
                              lol
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X