No announcement yet.

The lockdown collateral damage and death thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just have to talk to my daughter teaching HS to know how much of a fail the home school experiment was. A full third of her students didn't turn in any assignments during the entire 4th term. She reached out to all of them and their parents via email. Too many to call them all individually and also continue teaching those who continued to participate.

But there isn't enough self-motivation among the kids and there isn't enough oversight from parents for home schooling to work the way it was run to end the year. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to begin in August.

My wife tells me the only thing they know for certain is that they won't be assigning students lockers, because admin says it puts them all in too close proximity. Some teachers are ready to just try a return to normal, others don't feel it's safe. The school district is talking about requiring teachers to wear face masks - and there are teachers saying that if they do, they will leave before trying to teach a classroom full of kids while wearing a mask all day. Whatever is decided - some folks are going to be happy and others will be upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I am all for that. But I have a hard time believing that this is a significant cost percentage-wise of any current police force. This is why a realistic overhaul would likely lead to increased spending - which is what the more rational voices are proposing. Note that most of the democratic leaders are not jumping on the defund band-wagon. For good reason.
      I'm all for 'defunding,' which ostensibly is to separate certain duties from police department, such as mental health crisis/homeless responders, etc. That will not be a cut in tax payer funding, obviously, but it will help to alleviate the clearly overwhelming stress foisted upon our national force of undertrained, underscreened public servants, and to protect the public from stressed out, traumatized cops.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
        I'm all for 'defunding,' which ostensibly is to separate certain duties from police department, such as mental health crisis/homeless responders, etc. That will not be a cut in tax payer funding, obviously, but it will help to alleviate the clearly overwhelming stress foisted upon our national force of undertrained, underscreened public servants, and to protect the public from stressed out, traumatized cops.
        Absolutely, but in the current debate climate, most people don't view this as something that will cut down on social service type work so that cops can more effectively do regular police-work. They want less regular police-work.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What I predicted last March. I wish I had been wrong.

The Coronavirus Has Intensified Systemic Economic Racism
          https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...lack-americans

Headline should be revised to say The Lockdowns...
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            What I predicted last March. I wish I had been wrong.

The Coronavirus Has Intensified Systemic Economic Racism
            https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...lack-americans

Headline should be revised to say The Lockdowns...
            lol. Yes let’s change the article title to fit our narrative because it never would have happened just from people acting on their own in response to the pandemic. Only the lockdown.

Hard times don’t usually affect those most vulnerable, only when the government intervenes. </sarcasm>

Comment

More than 11 million people in Latin America are "marching towards the brink of starvation," U.N. food chief warns

Virus-linked hunger tied to 10,000 child deaths each month

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I only see white faces among these protesters. They are nearly without exception relatively affluent. Some of them have trust funds. Last Sunday there were a couple of Black writers in op-ed pages recognizing that this has for a while now ceased to be about Black lives. (In Portland, there no Confederate statues, so they pulled down a 150-year old statue of an elk.)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Why has Europe better contained the virus than the US? Here's what Fauci says.

Dr. Anthony Fauci was asked why Europe has been able to largely contain the virus while the US has seen a rise in new cases.

Fauci said it was a complex question, but described some of the contributing factors. He first pointed out that many European countries locked down more wholly than the US.

"If you look at what happened in Europe, when they shut down or locked down or went to shelter in place — however you want to describe it — they really did it to the tune of about 95% plus of the country did that," Fauci said.

However, "when you actually look at what we did, even though we shut down, even though it created a great deal of difficulty, we really functionally shut down only about 50% in the sense of the totality of the country," Fauci added.

He also noted that some states had better success at following reopening guidelines than others.

"Some were followed very carefully and some were not," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...83d07211a8792b

... SeattleUte and Walter ... on the wrong side of history 100% of the time
                  Last edited by tooblue; 07-31-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Why has Europe better contained the virus than the US? Here's what Fauci says.

Dr. Anthony Fauci was asked why Europe has been able to largely contain the virus while the US has seen a rise in new cases.

Fauci said it was a complex question, but described some of the contributing factors. He first pointed out that many European countries locked down more wholly than the US.

"If you look at what happened in Europe, when they shut down or locked down or went to shelter in place — however you want to describe it — they really did it to the tune of about 95% plus of the country did that," Fauci said.

However, "when you actually look at what we did, even though we shut down, even though it created a great deal of difficulty, we really functionally shut down only about 50% in the sense of the totality of the country," Fauci added.

He also noted that some states had better success at following reopening guidelines than others.

"Some were followed very carefully and some were not," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...83d07211a8792b

... SeattleUte and Walter ... on the wrong side of history 100% of the time
                    i mean, if fauci said it, it must be true.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      It's also kind of obvious, seeing that those are the measures they took that we didn't. I mean- New Zealand took it dead serious and got rid of it. We kind of closed our eyes and wished it would go away. Wonder why such the disparity in our results...
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

Or maybe it is the truth because it is the truth ... after all, the House subcommittee are the one's who said it and Fauci was only agreeing with them and expounding upon the question.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

Or maybe it is the truth because it is the truth ... after all, the House subcommittee are the one's who said it and Fauci was only agreeing with them and expounding upon the question.
                          Europe, except for Sweden, is blowing up. Anyone who politicizes this winds up looking like an idiot. Until we get a vaccine, everyone will have their waves. Needless to say, you're an idiot.

https://www.newsweek.com/sweden-whic...-spike-1521626
                          Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-31-2020, 01:33 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Europe, except for Sweden, is blowing up. Anyone who politicizes this winds up looking like an idiot. Until we get a vaccine, everyone will have their waves. Needless to say, you're an idiot.

https://www.newsweek.com/sweden-whic...-spike-1521626
                            I am sorry for the challenges you have obviously been dealing with and how it has altered your personality (at least here on this message board). For my part, I am sorry for provoking you further. We have danced this dance too many times, and I should know by now you cannot dance.

Comment

I think it is a little early for anyone to be spiking the football on anything related to COVID.
                              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                              SU

Comment

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-loc..._copyURL_share

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X