The lockdown collateral damage and death thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Was reading about a guy in Louisiana serving a life sentence for attempting to steal hedge trimmers. Louisiana Supreme Court would not overturn it, though there was a single dissenting vote.
    Here a judge couldn't be merciful because the federal sentencing guidelines have minimum requirements.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Here a judge couldn't be merciful because the federal sentencing guidelines have minimum requirements.
      Mercy should come from the prosecutor when making charging decisions. It's more likely to come from President Biden. Hopefully there is some common sense somewhere.

Comment

Those lawyers are dummies. Hard to feel sorry for them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Dummies. But not 35 years worth of dummies. A few months in the clink, financial restitution for the car, and having to deal with the professional consequences is enough penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
            Dummies. But not 35 years worth of dummies. A few months in the clink, financial restitution for the car, and having to deal with the professional consequences is enough penalty.
            Ok. 2 years are disbarment.

Biden will just pardon them anyway. Not sure why everyone is so concerned.

Comment

Minimum sentencing guidelines are wrong and should be abolished everywhere. 35 years is ridiculous.

That being said, what a couple of idiots.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                My understanding is the life sentence came from Louisiana's habitual offenders law. But a look at his record, and any reasonable person would say a life sentence is not reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                  As hypocritical as it is, we all know that Covid is looked at differently because white, 1st world people are dying from it. Can you imagine how much worse things would be if Covid wasn't looked at as an old person's disease. Old people aren't quite as expendable as 3rd world people, so people seem to care more.
                  I agree with this. Also because it's cancelling football. Oof. What an indictment.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

NY'ers are learning they can work from home outside of NY...

Cuomo Begs Fleeing New Yorkers To Return From Connecticut, Hamptons After Revealing Top 1% Pay 50% Of State Taxes

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has been visiting New Yorkers who fled the state during the peak of the coronavirus pandemic, begging them to return to the state from Connecticut and other second-home locations after admitting the “one percent” pay a shocking 50% of state taxes.

“Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been begging rich people to return to New York City from their second-home retreats so they can pay taxes to help offset the state’s growing coronavirus-related revenue shortfall,” the New York Post reported Tuesday.
                    [...]
                    Cuomo’s even offering perks.

“I literally talk to people all day long who are now in their Hamptons house who also lived here, or in their Hudson Valley house, or in their Connecticut weekend house, and I say, ‘You got to come back! We’ll go to dinner! I’ll buy you a drink! Come over, I’ll cook!’” Cuomo said at a press conference late Monday.

“They’re not coming back right now,” Cuomo added. “And you know what else they’re thinking? ‘If I stay there, I pay a lower income tax’ because they don’t pay the New York City surcharge.”

“Our population, 1 percent of the population pays 50 percent of the taxes,” Cuomo said.
                    [...]
                    Cuomo also says he promised wealthy New Yorkers that he’ll personally make sure New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio pays closer attention to the city’s rising crime rate: “We’re going to make progress helping the homeless. We’re going to clean up the graffiti. We’re going to fix crime.”

Bill de Blasio has not commented on whether he agrees.
                    https://www.dailywire.com/news/cuomo...of-state-taxes

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Yes. I got dizzy from all the spin in that article. They firebombed a police car.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• holland and knight is a shit firm, so it actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• In the Wake of Covid-19 Lockdowns, a Troubling Surge in Homicides
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...e=articleShare
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Have you been wondering why DMD in cans has been hard to find?

Me too.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Have you been wondering why DMD in cans has been hard to find?

Me too.
                              DMD has been available here. For a while MDZ was out of stock and that was upsetting. It's back now though.

Comment

• Business travel expense at my company this year is down to zero Q2 and will likely stay there through the end of the year. We've replaced it with video calls that have proven very effective. Business travel won't be zero for us long term. But it also won't recover even 50% of pre-Covid levels.

I think vacation travel will recover post-Covid. I don't think the same will happen with business travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X