The HBO Original Programming Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HBO Original Programming Thread

There are lots of places where HBO shows are discussed, but none of them are central like the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu threads.

I finished Perry Mason last night. Loved it. I love the noir setting in 1930s L.A. Matthew Rhys is excellent as Mason, a sad sack private detective who is barely scraping by after coming home from the war, getting divorced, and nearly losing the family farm. He is eventually forced into making a change and taking the bar exam in order to defend a woman that no one else will represent. The supporting cast is great too. The woman cast as Della Street is very good, and Shea Wigham (Nucky Thompson's brother from Boardwalk Empire) is a lot of fun as Perry's investigator. Highly recommended.

Next I think I will give Lovecraft Country a try. I've had a thing for Jurnee Smollet since Friday Night Lights.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So HBO's streaming service has been upgraded from HBO Go/HBO Now to HBO Max, which is HBO programming plus Warner properties, including stuff from TBS and TNT, Cartoon Network, adult swim, etc.

So far, it's definitely an upgrade. It kind of tries to do what Disney+ is doing by grouping the properties into separate things you can explore (HBO, Adult Swim, D.C. Comics, etc). I believe this is HBO's bid to stay competitive with Netflix and Disney+ and to put their history as sort of 'the naughty channel' behind them. Big time influx of other children's programming to go with their acquisition of Sesame Street.

My favorite feature, by far, is the streaming of the entire series of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I had forgotten how fantastic that show was-- it has aged extremely well, despite the 90s throwbacks in abundance. Will Smith is genuinely hilarious and his physical comedy is remarkable-- he had me howling with laughter multiple times per episode. He and Alfonso Ribiera are a comedic duo to be reckoned with.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      So HBO's streaming service has been upgraded from HBO Go/HBO Now to HBO Max, which is HBO programming plus Warner properties, including stuff from TBS and TNT, Cartoon Network, adult swim, etc.

So far, it's definitely an upgrade. It kind of tries to do what Disney+ is doing by grouping the properties into separate things you can explore (HBO, Adult Swim, D.C. Comics, etc). I believe this is HBO's bid to stay competitive with Netflix and Disney+ and to put their history as sort of 'the naughty channel' behind them. Big time influx of other children's programming to go with their acquisition of Sesame Street.

My favorite feature, by far, is the streaming of the entire series of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I had forgotten how fantastic that show was-- it has aged extremely well, despite the 90s throwbacks in abundance. Will Smith is genuinely hilarious and his physical comedy is remarkable-- he had me howling with laughter multiple times per episode. He and Alfonso Ribiera are a comedic duo to be reckoned with.
      Does this service replace HBO Go/HBO Now?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Does this service replace HBO Go/HBO Now?
        Yes. But not if you use a Roku.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yes. But not if you use a Roku.
          Hopefully AT&T will reach an agreement soon with Roku and Amazon. AT&T's position is that they want similar treatment to stream using it's own app like Netflix and Disney+.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

I want to watch the Action Park doc. That place looked awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              There are lots of places where HBO shows are discussed, but none of them are central like the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu threads.

I finished Perry Mason last night. Loved it. I love the noir setting in 1930s L.A. Matthew Rhys is excellent as Mason, a sad sack private detective who is barely scraping by after coming home from the war, getting divorced, and nearly losing the family farm. He is eventually forced into making a change and taking the bar exam in order to defend a woman that no one else will represent. The supporting cast is great too. The woman cast as Della Street is very good, and Shea Wigham (Nucky Thompson's brother from Boardwalk Empire) is a lot of fun as Perry's investigator. Highly recommended.

Next I think I will give Lovecraft Country a try. I've had a thing for Jurnee Smollet since Friday Night Lights.

My mom loves the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr. We watched a lot of reruns in my youth.

If it's on HBO, though, I'm guessing it will have a lot of content she wouldn't care for. Is this reboot mother-appropriate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

i like the idea of lovecraft country, but haven't been able to get into it.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

My mom loves the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr. We watched a lot of reruns in my youth.

If it's on HBO, though, I'm guessing it will have a lot of content she wouldn't care for. Is this reboot mother-appropriate?

She probably isn’t going to like it. My wife loves the old Perry Mason and this one she hates. I guess it is more of a origin series? Perry Mason is a private investigator and not an attorney, at least not yet. I am only a few episodes in, but I like it. It’s dark and Perry Mason in this version is very flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    She probably isn’t going to like it. My wife loves the old Perry Mason and this one she hates. I guess it is more of a origin series? Perry Mason is a private investigator and not an attorney, at least not yet. I am only a few episodes in, but I like it. It’s dark and Perry Mason in this version is very flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Yeah, this isn't your mom's Perry Mason. He's not smooth, he's not put together, he's not a gentleman, he's not ethical.... Basically the opposite of all the things your mom probably loved about Raymond Burr's Mason.

Oh, but wait: how does she feel about sex scenes with strong latina characters?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Perry Mason was excellent. I'm a sucker for any period piece based in pre-war Los Angeles, so I might be biased toward it. But the acting was great, the art and design were beautiful, and the story was compelling.
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

My question has been answered. I will watch it!
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah, this isn't your mom's Perry Mason. He's not smooth, he's not put together, he's not a gentleman, he's not ethical.... Basically the opposite of all the things your mom probably loved about Raymond Burr's Mason.

I don't think she would do them, but she might surprise me.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            My question has been answered. I will watch it!
                            I didn't say attractive strong latina women, but hey.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I didn't say attractive strong latina women, but hey.
                              I'll be the judge of that.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                              X