2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?

Nothing against the Ivy League but why allow them to "lead the way" when it comes to football? I see a big difference with not only the size of teams but stadium capacity between the Ivy League and say the SEC. Also, I think smaller college towns should have a big concern because it's possible to have in the neighborhood of 100K fans descend on a small college town resulting in a hot spot that the town cannot deal with because they do not have the capacity for medical facilities. Kind of like those small ski towns where infected tourists would visit and then leave and then soon after the local population gets sick with limited medical capacity.

My point of reference is Lincoln, NE. On game day, in Memorial Stadium there are banners hanging everywhere: "Californians for Nebraska", "North Texans for Nebraska", etc. Lincoln is not a small town, but I could see it get overwhelmed quickly because of the sheer number of visiting fans.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?
      I'm still in the "doubtful" camp as to whether or not there is college football this fall. I also am not convinced that postponing the season until the spring is going to work either. The chance of a vaccine being widely available in the spring of 2021 seems remote. There will be a vaccine and it'll be distributed but it likely won't be avialable widely enough and in time for a spring season. Plus, I don't think college football players count as essential workers and essential workers will get the vaccine first.

I'm also starting to be more doubtful about the NFL playing although I still think they'll have a full season. One good point I heard was that the problem with football not being in a bubble like the NBA is that position players spend a lot of tim together in the weight room, film room and on the field. If one gets sick then you could end up with a whole position group getting COVID. Then what do you do when the entire Oline is in quarantine for 2-3 weeks? You aren't going to just let Aaron Rodgers scramble around behind a line of scrubs.

NFL players do make good money so they can probably quarantine better and the NFL has the resources to do testing and provide more standard protocols. College athletes are dirt poor and have little incentive to put their health at risk and most schools don't have the money to pay for the testing/protocols needed to have a season and they especially don't have the money if they play with no fans in the stands.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        NFL players do make good money so they can probably quarantine better and the NFL has the resources to do testing and provide more standard protocols. College athletes are dirt poor and have little incentive to put their health at risk and most schools don't have the money to pay for the testing/protocols needed to have a season and they especially don't have the money if they play with no fans in the stands.
        Have you met college football players? The vast majority will absolutely play if it is up to them. It won't be up to them, which is a good thing.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

It's official. Ivy league postpones football until spring.

Also, not football related, but Stanford cut 11 programs after this season including men's volleyball. Sheesh.

Comment

The only hope is for djt to order colleges to play the season.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Ivy league sucks. Hope nobody follows suit.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

Also, not football related, but Stanford cut 11 programs after this season including men's volleyball. Sheesh.
                Doesn't Stanford have a huge athletic endowment?

Also are they going to lose their stranglehold on the Learfield Cup?
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Looks like the Big 10 is likely going with a conference only schedule meaning BYU is screwed out of a couple games.

https://twitter.com/insidenu/status/...Fid%3D24017168

This could get bad for our boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    Nothing against the Ivy League but why allow them to "lead the way" when it comes to football? I see a big difference with not only the size of teams but stadium capacity between the Ivy League and say the SEC. Also, I think smaller college towns should have a big concern because it's possible to have in the neighborhood of 100K fans descend on a small college town resulting in a hot spot that the town cannot deal with because they do not have the capacity for medical facilities. Kind of like those small ski towns where infected tourists would visit and then leave and then soon after the local population gets sick with limited medical capacity.

My point of reference is Lincoln, NE. On game day, in Memorial Stadium there are banners hanging everywhere: "Californians for Nebraska", "North Texans for Nebraska", etc. Lincoln is not a small town, but I could see it get overwhelmed quickly because of the sheer number of visiting fans.
                    So, seems like you agree with the Ivy League's decision?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

Sucks, but... these were college sports?? Field hockey and rowing, men's VB and wrestling. Okay, those are loses. The rest....

The Cardinal sports teams to be eliminated are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Sucks, but... these were college sports?? Field hockey and rowing, men's VB and wrestling. Okay, those are loses. The rest....
                        Rowing?

But, but, but . . . how are those Loughlin girls going to get into college?
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          Rowing?

But, but, but . . . how are those Loughlin girls going to get into college?
                          Haha. Well done.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Still don't think a season lasts more than a month. If this country can't stop the spread in summer, no way it's going to last through another spike this fall. It happens in spring or not at all.

Comment

RIP BYU's 2020 season.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/sta...08519808065542

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                                Sounds like the P12 is next in line to announce same thing. It's really tough being a byu fan sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X