Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Baseball is playing as well. They have guidelines they have to meet for play.
    Lots less contact than football though.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Lots less contact than football though.
    Right. Not disputing that. But in California right now there are ZERO sports for High School and College...regardless of the amount of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    How can the Rams, niners and chargers practice and play?
    The state department of public health created an express exception for professional sports training and competition (no live audiences).
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    The state department of public health created an express exception for professional sports training and competition (no live audiences).
    It’s like allowing Walmart to open as an essential business but not allowing other small businesses to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    It’s like allowing Walmart to open as an essential business but not allowing other small businesses to open.

Its called following the science.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    The science of money...

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    No, but then, neither was Navy.
    I certainly hope they are a government and not a private institution.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

I think it's clear that both the Dems and GOP couldn't care less about the science as long as the activity serves their own purpose...and by purpose I mean gives them power.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

"It was a setup!"
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Looks like COVID has started to clear up sooner than the B1G officials thought so it looks like it'll be safe to play football start in late October rather than waiting until Spring. I'd call it a miracle but it looks like the virus is still running rampant in WA/OR/CA so it's probably only safe for professional athletes to play football in those states (sorry PAC12).

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Looks like COVID has started to clear up sooner than the B1G officials thought so it looks like it'll be safe to play football start in late October rather than waiting until Spring. I'd call it a miracle but it looks like the virus is still running rampant in WA/OR/CA so it's probably only safe for professional athletes to play football in those states (sorry PAC12).
    Apparently the Big 10 fans have Drumpf to thank....

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Larry Scott issued a release saying that the Puss12 will not be playing. Hope they all go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Larry Scott issued a release saying that the Puss12 will not be playing. Hope they all go bankrupt.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

I guess my season tickets will get used in some capacity this fall. My guess is Halloween weekend.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aying-football
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

LOL. How pathetic is the P12?

They cancel the season right after the B10. PROTECT THE STUDENT ATHLETES!!

Since then, nary a word.

B10 realizes they were super dumb to protect the super athletes and want in on the action, so they announce they are back!

P12: "UUUHHH... YEAH! US TOO! WE HAVE PROTECTED OUR ATHLETES SUFFICIENTLY! WE HAVE CONVINCED OUR GOVERNORS TO CHANGE THEIR RULES FOR US! WE ARE BACK!!!!"

Seriously, so hilarious

This is seriously the best. Now the MWC is miraculously about to come back

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...040811008?s=19

LOL at the Pac12! Little brother gonna little brother

LOL. How pathetic is the P12?

They cancel the season right after the B10. PROTECT THE STUDENT ATHLETES!!

Since then, nary a word.

B10 realizes they were super dumb to protect the super athletes and want in on the action, so they announce they are back!

P12: "UUUHHH... YEAH! US TOO! WE HAVE PROTECTED OUR ATHLETES SUFFICIENTLY! WE HAVE CONVINCED OUR GOVERNORS TO CHANGE THEIR RULES FOR US! WE ARE BACK!!!!"

Seriously, so hilarious
    so funny. nothing has changed with the virus but suddenly they are safe. fun stuff.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

For the last few weeks lots of ute fans on twitter saying how irresponsible and dangerous BYU's decision to play has been. Can't wait to see their opinions change overnight.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

There is still the little matter of the NCAA cancelling all championships for the entire year.

When they start suing, it will be the coaches, the ADs, the fitness staff, the conferences, and now the NCAA if they walk this back.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    For the last few weeks lots of ute fans on twitter saying how irresponsible and dangerous BYU's decision to play has been. Can't wait to see their opinions change overnight.
    The situation has changed with the rapid testing capability, but the PAC12 is in a tough situation. Stand by themselves and fall further behind the other conferences or about-face on health of athletes and bring in money to keep athletic departments afloat. Either way they will be laughed at (and probably sued).
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

The rapid testing thing seems to be tho excuse used by P12 defenders. What a copout. They've known about rapid testing for weeks

The rapid testing thing seems to be tho excuse used by P12 defenders. What a copout. They've known about rapid testing for weeks
    And apparently if you use the rapid test it mitigates the long term heart issues from the virus. Magic!

Trevor Lawrence is smarter than the whole PAC12 leaders and schools. He was right that the athletes are better off in a football program, being monitored and responsible to something other than themselves. Covid will happen at college but it’s not happening on the football teams and instead is happening off campus.

What a copout.
    Totally agree. Gov. Newsom sounded like a moron in the espn article JiC linked.

Roughly five hours after Scott's statement was released, Newsom said there is nothing in the state guidelines that prevents the Pac-12 from resuming. However, he cited a scenario that seemingly contradicted that assertion.
    "We put out, I think, thoughtful guidelines and again, in partnership with the NCAA, about cohorting during workouts and practices," Newsom said. "Now, this manifests very differently depending on the sport. Basketball cohorting of up to 12 may be a little easier than football up to 12, but offensive teams, defensive teams are able to coordinate and practice and the like."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29898469/wildfires-coronavirus-testing-complicate-pac-12-conference-possible-return-playing-football
    Either Newsom doesn't know the rules of football or he doesn't know the rules of the Covid measures in his own state.

But, at the end of the day, it strikes me as really unfair to expect kids to practice & play games when their classes are all (or mostly) online.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    The situation has changed with the rapid testing capability, but the PAC12 is in a tough situation. Stand by themselves and fall further behind the other conferences or about-face on health of athletes and bring in money to keep athletic departments afloat. Either way they will be laughed at (and probably sued).
    It has nothing to do with testing. I still think this was mostly about athletes threatening to unionize. Covid made an easy out. Really interested to see what happens next.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    It has nothing to do with testing. I still think this was mostly about athletes threatening to unionize. Covid made an easy out. Really interested to see what happens next.
    Bingo

Navy sucks. They are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Navy sucks. They are just terrible.
    Not so fast, my friend!

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

No kidding. I bet navy +5.5 ( yeah I know what was I thinking)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Not so fast, my friend!
    What a comeback. That was awesome.