Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Default 2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders will “with all certainty” be extended for the next three months, county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged during a Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ard-new-normal

Yeah, college football ain't happening.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

Yeah, college football ain't happening.
    What if school starts up in January, and they play a short season that semester?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    What if school starts up in January, and they play a short season that semester?
    The problem with football is you need a good 4-5 weeks of camp/practice before the season starts. If kids aren't on campus in Nov/Dec, then practice won't be happening. I guess you could just move football to Feb-May but that might not work for some schools that share facilities, of course we still may not have fans in the stands so maybe the size of hte facility doens't matter.

I just don't think college football has the logistics and money to have a season this year. The money isn't there for a large portion of teams to have a season where they have to spend millions on additional logistics, testing, etc. and that money certainly isn't there if there are no fans in the stands buying tickets/souvenirs/concessions/etc.

THe only thing I think might happen is that the NCAA leaves it up to conferences to decide what to do and the SEC (and maybe one or two others) decides to play a conference only schedule, which is there only option. The SEC has the facilities and money but most importantly they would have the backing of most of their local/state governments and fans to play. I think they might even have some level of fans in the stadium. But the PAC ain't doing that and a good portion of the Big 10 and ACC wouldn't either.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Look, I think you're right that there will be no football this season. I'm just trying to hold onto the outside hope that it somehow works out. I still haven't cancelled my reservations for the BYU @ Minnesota game.

Yeah, college football ain't happening in Pac-12 country.
    FIFY.

As I mentioned in another thread the SEC and Big-12 are making other plans with rescheduling their California Pac-12 games. Hopefully, BYU is doing the same with their two California games. Of course, the question is would the non-cali Pac-12 teams be blocked from playing their games. That would suck for Utah.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    FIFY.

As I mentioned in another thread the SEC and Big-12 are making other plans with rescheduling their California Pac-12 games. Hopefully, BYU is doing the same with their two California games. Of course, the question is would the non-cali Pac-12 teams be blocked from playing their games. That would suck for Utah.
    If the Pac-12 doesn't play then their players should be allowed to transfer with no penalty.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    If the Pac-12 doesn't play then their players should be allowed to transfer with no penalty.
    Also someone should give Utah a swift kick in the crotch just because.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Also someone should give Utah a swift kick in the crotch just because.
    Amen, hallelujah, amen.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Big 12 will have football even if President E. Gordon Gee has to suit up...

WVU president Gee vows football will be played, even if he has to 'suit up'

West Virginia University president E. Gordon Gee vows that the Mountaineers will play football this fall “even if I have suit up.”

“I’ve got my ankles taped, I’m ready to go in,” the 76-year-old Gee joked in an interview with WOWK-TV broadcast this week. “But I think again, with everything we’re going to do it based on what is safe, what is healthy for our fans and what is healthy for our student athletes. But I do believe that we will play football.”

Despite uncertainly around the coronavirus pandemic, all Big 12 schools, including West Virginia, plan to open campuses for the fall semester, a key step toward launching fall sports.
    [...]
    https://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...s/202005140127
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

https://twitter.com/TollyTaylor/stat...234430978?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    https://twitter.com/TollyTaylor/stat...234430978?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Seems like a smart move... Get the students home before prime flu season.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Thanks, Houston.

Bunch of diseased rubes.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?

It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?

The Ivy League was the first domino when they canceled their conference basketball tournament. Everyone followed suit within the next day or two. I just don't see any way we have football this fall.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Nothing against the Ivy League but why allow them to "lead the way" when it comes to football? I see a big difference with not only the size of teams but stadium capacity between the Ivy League and say the SEC. Also, I think smaller college towns should have a big concern because it's possible to have in the neighborhood of 100K fans descend on a small college town resulting in a hot spot that the town cannot deal with because they do not have the capacity for medical facilities. Kind of like those small ski towns where infected tourists would visit and then leave and then soon after the local population gets sick with limited medical capacity.

My point of reference is Lincoln, NE. On game day, in Memorial Stadium there are banners hanging everywhere: "Californians for Nebraska", "North Texans for Nebraska", etc. Lincoln is not a small town, but I could see it get overwhelmed quickly because of the sheer number of visiting fans.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

I'm still in the "doubtful" camp as to whether or not there is college football this fall. I also am not convinced that postponing the season until the spring is going to work either. The chance of a vaccine being widely available in the spring of 2021 seems remote. There will be a vaccine and it'll be distributed but it likely won't be avialable widely enough and in time for a spring season. Plus, I don't think college football players count as essential workers and essential workers will get the vaccine first.

I'm also starting to be more doubtful about the NFL playing although I still think they'll have a full season. One good point I heard was that the problem with football not being in a bubble like the NBA is that position players spend a lot of tim together in the weight room, film room and on the field. If one gets sick then you could end up with a whole position group getting COVID. Then what do you do when the entire Oline is in quarantine for 2-3 weeks? You aren't going to just let Aaron Rodgers scramble around behind a line of scrubs.

NFL players do make good money so they can probably quarantine better and the NFL has the resources to do testing and provide more standard protocols. College athletes are dirt poor and have little incentive to put their health at risk and most schools don't have the money to pay for the testing/protocols needed to have a season and they especially don't have the money if they play with no fans in the stands.

NFL players do make good money so they can probably quarantine better and the NFL has the resources to do testing and provide more standard protocols. College athletes are dirt poor and have little incentive to put their health at risk and most schools don't have the money to pay for the testing/protocols needed to have a season and they especially don't have the money if they play with no fans in the stands.
    Have you met college football players? The vast majority will absolutely play if it is up to them. It won't be up to them, which is a good thing.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

It's official. Ivy league postpones football until spring.

Also, not football related, but Stanford cut 11 programs after this season including men's volleyball. Sheesh.

The only hope is for djt to order colleges to play the season.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Ivy league sucks. Hope nobody follows suit.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Also, not football related, but Stanford cut 11 programs after this season including men's volleyball. Sheesh.
    Doesn't Stanford have a huge athletic endowment?

Also are they going to lose their stranglehold on the Learfield Cup?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Looks like the Big 10 is likely going with a conference only schedule meaning BYU is screwed out of a couple games.

https://twitter.com/insidenu/status/...Fid%3D24017168

This could get bad for our boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Nothing against the Ivy League but why allow them to "lead the way" when it comes to football? I see a big difference with not only the size of teams but stadium capacity between the Ivy League and say the SEC. Also, I think smaller college towns should have a big concern because it's possible to have in the neighborhood of 100K fans descend on a small college town resulting in a hot spot that the town cannot deal with because they do not have the capacity for medical facilities. Kind of like those small ski towns where infected tourists would visit and then leave and then soon after the local population gets sick with limited medical capacity.

My point of reference is Lincoln, NE. On game day, in Memorial Stadium there are banners hanging everywhere: "Californians for Nebraska", "North Texans for Nebraska", etc. Lincoln is not a small town, but I could see it get overwhelmed quickly because of the sheer number of visiting fans.
    So, seems like you agree with the Ivy League's decision?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Sucks, but... these were college sports?? Field hockey and rowing, men's VB and wrestling. Okay, those are loses. The rest....

The Cardinal sports teams to be eliminated are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Sucks, but... these were college sports?? Field hockey and rowing, men's VB and wrestling. Okay, those are loses. The rest....
    Rowing?

But, but, but . . . how are those Loughlin girls going to get into college?

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Rowing?

But, but, but . . . how are those Loughlin girls going to get into college?
    Haha. Well done.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Still don't think a season lasts more than a month. If this country can't stop the spread in summer, no way it's going to last through another spike this fall. It happens in spring or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    Sounds like the P12 is next in line to announce same thing. It's really tough being a byu fan sometimes.