Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    Delicious tears...
    Yes, however I'm starting to get a bit upset that these conferences are postponing all sports. There are a lot of sports that can probably be done very safely either because there are minimal people involved or they are distanced. Cross country is one of those and BYU has a decent chance to repeat as national champions. I don't get why they can't have other fall sports that don't require hundreds of players/personnel like football.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      mbn is having a socially distanced mask on party in his backyard to celebrate.
      lol

Again, don't hate on me. This outcome was baked in when djt was elected POTUS. I had a solution: WRITE IN MITT!!!

This is the best outcome for BYU after its schedule got blown up over the past few weeks. BYU stands pretty much alone out west and has flexibility if it and the rest of college football decide to move forward.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        Delicious tears...

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Yes, however I'm starting to get a bit upset that these conferences are postponing all sports. There are a lot of sports that can probably be done very safely either because there are minimal people involved or they are distanced. Cross country is one of those and BYU has a decent chance to repeat as national champions. I don't get why they can't have other fall sports that don't require hundreds of players/personnel like football.
        Agreed.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          yohio = funny. i will fight anybody who argues otherwise.
          I’ll meet you by the flagpole right after school.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Money. Football pays for all these other sports.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I’ll meet you by the flagpole right after school.
              FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So at this point our opponents are Navy, Houston and North Alabama. Depending on what the B1G decides this morning maybe we can add Nebraska to the schedule

I know this won't go as planned, but my hope is that the B1G and PAC12 postpone football to possibly the spring. Then the SEC, ACC and Big12 or at least two of those conferences decide to play in the fall. It would be great to see a split like that, although I doubt it will happen since I'm sure all five P5 conferences want to be lockstep in their decisions. THe problem with postponing to the spring is the potential for things to be worse than they are now and you start to bump into the basketball season and there are only so many eyeballs to watch so many games.

My preferred scenario (possible although unlikely) at this point is for the SEC/BIG12/ACC to push forward with fall football and the AAC also decides to play. BYU either gets invited to play in the AAC this year or we at least get enough games from the AAC/BIG12 to fill out a decent schedule.
                I'm doubtful that there will be any football in the Pac 10 or Big 10 in the spring. The idea is absurd. They're going to put these guys' bodies through a 10-11 game season (counting bowls) from March through June and then turn around and start football again in late August? And they're worried about the Rona hurting these guys and other students when people that age have something like a 99.95% survival rate (or whatever it is)? Lol. How many professional athletes have had this? Have we heard about any of them having any lingering problems?

TBH, while I want to see BYU play, I couldn't care less about watching any Pac 10 games and have very little interest in watching the Big 10 outside of a few big Ohio State and Penn State games. I love watching the SEC games and so far they're holding fast.

The silver lining, at least for me, is if college football is really cancelled then the NFL will likely play some of their games on Saturdays to pick up the slack. I believe the only reason they don't already play Saturday games other than a couple weeks towards the end of the season when CFB wraps up is due to antitrust issues from decades ago where the NFL agreed to not overlap CFB on Saturdays.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• https://twitter.com/texags/status/1292860949607657473?s=21
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 08-11-2020, 03:53 PM.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    This is pretty simple. COVID is a public health issue and should be addressed as such. It is simply wrong to give one group of students access to care in this environment that is not given to other students. And if the concern and threat is so great to that particular group of students that this special treatment is warranted, then maybe the school should rethink the activity that is creating this threat.

Why would anyone not want equal healthcare treatment across the board during a pandemic?
                    Is your student so bad at social distancing that he/she needs to be tested every week?

Comment

• Sally Jenkins nails it again.

Big Ten and Pac-12 leaders had the courage to exercise a rare American trait: Caution

Don’t let the baying noisemakers and the desperate politickers for college football distract you from a central fact about the novel coronavirus epidemic. Caution works. So far, nothing else has. In the next couple of weeks, millions of undergraduates will start streaming back to campuses amid outbreaks. How about we see the consequences of that before we send players on to the field to make each other’s snot and spit fly?

To their everlasting credit, college presidents in the Big Ten and Pac-12 have hit the pause button on the season, and the rest of the Power Five conferences should, too. It’s the only responsible choice amid so many unknowns: to take a collective knee and defer while campuses gauge the impact of reopening and doctors learn more about the threat of myocarditis and other complications from this disease.

. . . . . . .

Of course everyone wants a season, and the pleas of competitors such as Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence make the hearts of all college football enthusiasts pang. But politicians are co-opting that emotion, casting anyone in Lawrence’s path as a snowflake, so they can hide their incompetence amid a roaring culture war. They’ll seize on Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh’s open letter arguing for a season based on the fact that his team had just 11 positive tests out of 893 during summer conditioning and call caution timidity.

But it’s important to recognize one thing. Those summer workouts took place in a very small and controlled bubble — and that bubble is about to burst in a very big way. There are 16.9 million undergraduates in this country, many of whom will begin flooding local dorms and taverns and doing as students have ever done, breaking rules. Michigan has more than 30,000 undergrads and 4,600 faculty.
                      Last edited by myboynoah; 08-11-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        I'd be good with that scenario. I oppose a spring season because it will screw up next season. 18-20 games in a year is a lot of wear and tear on the players.
                        I know this idea is commonly accepted but I wonder if it's really ever been quantified...

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          I know this idea is commonly accepted but I wonder if it's really ever been quantified...
                          It has by the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            The bigger issue is the time between the end of the season and the start of the next nfl season. All the future draft picks will sit out if games are in the spring, mostly due to injuries that could happen without enough time to recover.

I’m in the camp that playing fall football is the better decision just as getting kids back to campus is also a better decision. We, as humans, are terrible at making risk -based decisions even with a lot of information. Waiting 3-4 months will not give better information on long term health impacts and most of these kids are going to be better off in football camp and at practice and being responsible to a head coach or team for their off the field decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The bigger issue is the time between the end of the season and the start of the next nfl season. All the future draft picks will sit out if games are in the spring, mostly due to injuries that could happen without enough time to recover.

I’m in the camp that playing fall football is the better decision just as getting kids back to campus is also a better decision. We, as humans, are terrible at making risk -based decisions even with a lot of information. Waiting 3-4 months will not give better information on long term health impacts and most of these kids are going to be better off in football camp and at practice and being responsible to a head coach or team for their off the field decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Really? The NBA and NHL had to quarantine their players to force compliance. And those players are getting paid to play.

Comment

• The time to lock this thread is rapidly approaching. Sad!
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X