What are they saying? The thread for foreign films and series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they saying? The thread for foreign films and series

The last few months I've watched a lot of foreign films. The "did you know this streams" is so large it is hard to wade through and see movies or series, that others recommend.

Some of the series I've enjoyed

* Narcos. Both original and Mexico. This is so popular and well known, I assume anyone who would want to watch it, already has
    * Fauda: Israeli based series. What I really enjoy about this is seeing what Palestine, and the West Bank is (most likely) really like.
    * Bordertown: Finnish series with a Sherlock Holmes type protagonist
    *Money Heist: Spanish Oceans 11. First 2 seasons were good, but too many episodes. It should have been condensed into 1 season. Didn't finish S3.
    * The Break: Belgian show with a True Detective vibe

Good not great series
    * Dark: German. As someone described it to me. Stranger Things crossed with Groundhog Day
    * Nobel: About a Norwegian Special Ops unit. Pretty slowly paced
    * Suburra / Gomorrah: Both are about Italian drug wars. Not great acting in either. Honestly can't recall who or what happens in either. They seem like the same show/

If you have nothing else to do
    * 3%: Basically the Brazilian Hunger Games with special effects from the 80s
    * Unit 42: Belgian version of CSI

I know there are others I've watched and can't recall. I will have to go through my Netflix history and see what i'm missing
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-05-2020, 09:16 PM.

I saw a few episodes of Money Heist when it first came out and thought it was stupid. I thought 3% was pretty dumb too but watched it for the saudades of Portuguese/Brazil. IMO Dark S1 was entertaining, but I couldn't make it past a few episodes of S2.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Good not great series
      * Dark: German. As someone described it to me. Stranger Things crossed with Groundhog Day
      This doesn't seem like a very accurate description. Personally I would never describe it that way. More like "The Killing" meets "Memento". That's how I would describe it to someone who has seen both of those. Not a perfect description, but it captures the feel of the series and the fact that you have to remember a lot details and keep track of where you are in time to make sense of things.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

If you like endless shoot-em-up automatic weapons battles between an infinite supply of bad guys willing to die like cannon fodder vs an outnumbered band of good and semi-good guys with an infinite supply of ammo, you will like this tribute to the original Assault on Precinct 13.

The Nest (Nid de guêpes) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280990/

Comment

The Spy with Sasha Baron Cohen comes to mind. Not subtitled, but produced by a french company and based and shot in foreign countries.

I have taken a lot to Scandinavian movies lately. A Man Called Ove, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, The Troll Hunter, In Order of Disappearance. And going back to when we were kids and rented weird shows from the local video tape place, Dunderklumpen. Me and my siblings still quote it to each other at times.

Comment

I have rewatched The Gods Must Be Crazy I and II recently as well. I think they hold up pretty well.

Comment

What are they saying? The thread for foreign films and series

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              This doesn't seem like a very accurate description. Personally I would never describe it that way. More like "The Killing" meets "Memento". That's how I would describe it to someone who has seen both of those. Not a perfect description, but it captures the feel of the series and the fact that you have to remember a lot details and keep track of where you are in time to make sense of things.
              Checks old texts. :embarrassed: Memento is one of my all time favorite movies. Not sure where i came up with my made up conversation and used Stranger Things as a comp.
              Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-05-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Coisa Mais Linda on Netflix was so/so...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 05-06-2020, 12:16 PM.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I just watched “The Platform” which is a Spanish film about a multi level type prison (200+ levels) where a platform of lavish food starts at the first level and works its way down from there. It only stops at each level for like 60 seconds. The occupants change levels randomly every month, so those at the top now may be near the bottom next month. Interesting premise. Pretty gory, but I liked it.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

It's been out for a few years, but I really enjoyed Rita on Netflix. It is a Danish comedy/drama series about an edgy school teacher. Pretty funny and at times sincere.

Not sure if it counts, since its English-language from Australia, but Please Like Me is also one of my favorites (if you can tolerate some gay stuff). Very funny. About a 20-something guy coming out of the closet and dealing with life. Some sexual content, but it's pretty tame and not the focus. Streams on Hulu.

Comment

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        Before season 3 starts, please share any recaps you come across. I'm going to need a lot of them to remember what the hell happened.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Thread bump as I continue my journey around the virtual word:

If you have nothing better to do:

* Dark S3- I was ok with how they wrapped things up. Though, hated most of the rest of S3. Only finished it, because I knew it was the last season. Series is a perfect example of an interesting novel idea being stretched waaay too thin. Should have been 2 season at most.

* Mossad 101: Israeli series about.... The Mossad. Fun first season, stupid s2. I don't know if there are more seasons or not

* Bitter Daises: Spanish series about a possible serial killer. My review: mas o menos

* Unauthorized Living: Italian series where the Don develops Alzheimers. The Italians make great cars, but they should leave mob movies and series to the Americans. Quit it after 2 or 3 episodes.

Worth your time

* Deadwind: Finnish series. Well acted and beautifully shot. Some dumb episodes, but most are very well done

* The Mechanism: Brazilian series. Combination of Beautiful Mind and any police series when the rebel cop doesn't play by the rules

Highly Recommend:

* Trapped- Based in a small town in Iceland. A dismembered body is found and local cop has to figure out what is going. Smart storyline with great acting

* The Honorable Woman: I couldn't stand Maggie Gylenhall's British accent, but I'm always a fan of stories set in Israel and Palestine. Especially when some spy espionage is thrown in. A single season series

* Zero, Zero, Zero: The best (primarily) foreign series since Narcos. The story of a huge drug shipment that takes place on 4 different continents. The 3 main protagonists (Italian, Mexican, American) all are fantastic. My favorite show of 2020
                          Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Where are you finding most of these? Assume I don't know what Just Watch or Canistream.it are.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Thanks for write up, I appreciate the recommendations. I really loved DARK, but agreed that that the 3S story line got convoluted and drawn out too far. I will definitely check out Zero, Zero, Zero.
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X