2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Let's do this the right way. We shouldn't have the general election thread with a poll asking people how they're going to vote.

Incumbents always have a natural advantage. Trump has a massive one this year. He has it within his power to develop an exit from this shutdown. If it's underway successfully in November, he'll win.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    [President Trump] has it within his power to develop an exit from this shutdown. If it's underway successfully in November, he'll win.
    Buchanan agrees with you:

Trump’s true adversary in this election is not Joe Biden, the hermit candidate sheltering in place. Biden is but a name on the November ballot you mark if you want to remove and replace Donald Trump.

Trump’s real antagonists are the media who detest him and are determined, having failed to impeach and remove him, to drive him from office by portraying him as a foolish, failed president in the worst crisis to hit the country since Pearl Harbor.

The crucial decision Trump will make is to choose the exact moment to reopen the country and the economy, without igniting a new spike in the pandemic that induces despair and causes a panic.

The president’s aides in charge of the medical crisis want the longest delay possible. His economic and political advisers, fearing Trump could be forced to run as Herbert Hoover did, at the nadir of a new depression, want an earlier decision to start opening up the country.

Action cannot long be delayed if we are to survive the medical crisis only to endure a longer and more costly economic crisis.

Thursday morning, jobless claims revealed that another 6.6 million Americans had lost their jobs, bringing to 16.7 million the number who have filed for unemployment in just three weeks.

One in 10 Americans is now out of work.

Six weeks ago, Trump was boasting, and justifiably so, of having the greatest economy of any president in recent memory. Now, the possibility exists that he could go into the fall election with the worst economy since Hoover and the Great Depression of 1932.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The term is overused, but isn't this gaslighting?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1249270881936904192

https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/st...53277281579014
      Last edited by UVACoug; 04-12-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

This is very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          This is very well done.

I liked it. But it's almost too easy to make Trump look bad due to his inability to get at the truth.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Fox Poll: Coronavirus response takes toll on Trump as Joe Biden leads in Pennsylvania, other swing states.

A new poll shows Joe Biden with a sizable lead over President Donald Trump in Pennsylvania as voters cast a critical eye on the president’s handling of the coronavirus.

The survey by Fox News showed Biden leading Trump 50% to 42% in Pennsylvania, a swing state that helped seal the president’s victory in 2016. In Michigan, a similarly pivotal battleground, Fox also found Biden leading, 49-41.

Both polls were released Wednesday, the same day a Quinnipiac University poll found Biden with a narrower 46% to 42% lead in Florida, another one of the most hotly contested presidential battlegrounds.

In each state, voters had a negative view of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus, while having far more positive assessments of their governors.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

LOL... Biden is such a weak leader that Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama to put the United States into a crisis.

Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama so 'totally unprepared' Biden would be president, declassified docs show

Usama bin Laden wanted to assassinate then-President Barack Obama so that the "totally unprepared" Joe Biden would take over as president and plunge the United States "into a crisis," according to documents seized from bin Laden's Pakistan compound when he was killed in May 2011.
              [...]
              https://www.foxnews.com/politics/osa...fied-docs-show

Biden is still a weak leader. No wonder it took Obama so long to endorse him.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Didn't the poll tea leaves say that Hillary was going to win there by like a landslide in 2016?

Maybe Joe will make the same mistake and not bother campaigning there as well.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  LOL... Biden is such a weak leader that Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama to put the United States into a crisis.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/osa...fied-docs-show

Biden is still a weak leader. No wonder it took Obama so long to endorse him.
                  Haha, no kidding. I'm sure his thought process went something like, usually killing a US President won't put the country in crisis, but with Biden being sooooo incompetent, it totally will! <Maniacle laugh/>

Comment

'The Marie Antoinette of the Senate': GOP Rep. King slams McConnell for suggesting states go bankrupt

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/3010200001/

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                      'The Marie Antoinette of the Senate': GOP Rep. King slams McConnell for suggesting states go bankrupt

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/3010200001/
                      As usual partisans and the media are too emotionally involved to accurately debate and report. McConnell is not a great messenger, but the message is the right one: states should not be allowed to use the crisis to bail out pre-crisis mis-management. I don't know how any reasonable person can disagree with that. McConnell specifically mentioned state pensions which should be a non-starter. He also mentioned that the federal government should help fund anything related to coronavirus.

Lost revenue during the shutdown will be a sticking point and has to be negotiated. I think the feds need to step in and fill that gap. But the problem is states with a history of mismanagement will definitely use the fog of the crisis to grab extra cash to cover more than coronavirus related fiscal issues.

This is what worries me about the crisis more than the actual infection and it's direct effects. Partisans using the crisis to try to fundamentally change our relationship with the federal government.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        As usual partisans and the media are too emotionally involved to accurately debate and report. McConnell is not a great messenger, but the message is the right one: states should not be allowed to use the crisis to bail out pre-crisis mis-management. I don't know how any reasonable person can disagree with that. McConnell specifically mentioned state pensions which should be a non-starter. He also mentioned that the federal government should help fund anything related to coronavirus.

Lost revenue during the shutdown will be a sticking point and has to be negotiated. I think the feds need to step in and fill that gap. But the problem is states with a history of mismanagement will definitely use the fog of the crisis to grab extra cash to cover more than coronavirus related fiscal issues.

This is what worries me about the crisis more than the actual infection and it's direct effects. Partisans using the crisis to try to fundamentally change our relationship with the federal government.
                        I agree with you completely. I put this here in this thread because while Trump is making fun of a prominent democrat with references to ice cream, a prominent Republican, regardless any nuance in his comments, came across as completely tone deaf.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          Haha, no kidding. I'm sure his thought process went something like, usually killing a US President won't put the country in crisis, but with Biden being sooooo incompetent, it totally will! <Maniacle laugh/>
                          I think there would be little or no crisis here, on CS, if Drumpf was assassinated... I, for one, would welcome Pence as my president. I don't know if I can wait until 2024!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                            I agree with you completely. I put this here in this thread because while Trump is making fun of a prominent democrat with references to ice cream, a prominent Republican, regardless any nuance in his comments, came across as completely tone deaf.
                            Yeah mitch is not a great one on tone but I'll take his position on this over Nancy Pelosi any day. There is going to be a lot of creative accounting and projections by state governments once budget bailouts are on the table. In this environment, how do you accurately show how much of the shortfall was going to happen regardless and how much is directly related to Covid19. Cuomo us saying he is short 15 billion due to the virus. I don't know how that is possible when you look at the revenue source and the fact that they already saw a 4 billion dollar decline in revenue last fiscal year. Maybe he is basing his projections on assuming they will be closed down through the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              Yeah mitch is not a great one on tone but I'll take his position on this over Nancy Pelosi any day. There is going to be a lot of creative accounting and projections by state governments once budget bailouts are on the table. In this environment, how do you accurately show how much of the shortfall was going to happen regardless and how much is directly related to Covid19. Cuomo us saying he is short 15 billion due to the virus. I don't know how that is possible when you look at the revenue source and the fact that they already saw a 4 billion dollar decline in revenue last fiscal year. Maybe he is basing his projections on assuming they will be closed down through the summer.
                              Yeah, that Nancy Pelosi is one sick woman... WTF:

She is trying to kill all of congress!
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X