Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Default 2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Let's do this the right way. We shouldn't have the general election thread with a poll asking people how they're going to vote.

Incumbents always have a natural advantage. Trump has a massive one this year. He has it within his power to develop an exit from this shutdown. If it's underway successfully in November, he'll win.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    [President Trump] has it within his power to develop an exit from this shutdown. If it's underway successfully in November, he'll win.
    Buchanan agrees with you:

Trump’s true adversary in this election is not Joe Biden, the hermit candidate sheltering in place. Biden is but a name on the November ballot you mark if you want to remove and replace Donald Trump.

Trump’s real antagonists are the media who detest him and are determined, having failed to impeach and remove him, to drive him from office by portraying him as a foolish, failed president in the worst crisis to hit the country since Pearl Harbor.

The crucial decision Trump will make is to choose the exact moment to reopen the country and the economy, without igniting a new spike in the pandemic that induces despair and causes a panic.

The president’s aides in charge of the medical crisis want the longest delay possible. His economic and political advisers, fearing Trump could be forced to run as Herbert Hoover did, at the nadir of a new depression, want an earlier decision to start opening up the country.

Action cannot long be delayed if we are to survive the medical crisis only to endure a longer and more costly economic crisis.

Thursday morning, jobless claims revealed that another 6.6 million Americans had lost their jobs, bringing to 16.7 million the number who have filed for unemployment in just three weeks.

One in 10 Americans is now out of work.

Six weeks ago, Trump was boasting, and justifiably so, of having the greatest economy of any president in recent memory. Now, the possibility exists that he could go into the fall election with the worst economy since Hoover and the Great Depression of 1932.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Last edited by UVACoug; 04-12-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

This is very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This is very well done.

I liked it. But it's almost too easy to make Trump look bad due to his inability to get at the truth.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Fox Poll: Coronavirus response takes toll on Trump as Joe Biden leads in Pennsylvania, other swing states.

A new poll shows Joe Biden with a sizable lead over President Donald Trump in Pennsylvania as voters cast a critical eye on the president’s handling of the coronavirus.

The survey by Fox News showed Biden leading Trump 50% to 42% in Pennsylvania, a swing state that helped seal the president’s victory in 2016. In Michigan, a similarly pivotal battleground, Fox also found Biden leading, 49-41.

Both polls were released Wednesday, the same day a Quinnipiac University poll found Biden with a narrower 46% to 42% lead in Florida, another one of the most hotly contested presidential battlegrounds.

In each state, voters had a negative view of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus, while having far more positive assessments of their governors.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

LOL... Biden is such a weak leader that Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama to put the United States into a crisis.

Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama so 'totally unprepared' Biden would be president, declassified docs show

Usama bin Laden wanted to assassinate then-President Barack Obama so that the "totally unprepared" Joe Biden would take over as president and plunge the United States "into a crisis," according to documents seized from bin Laden's Pakistan compound when he was killed in May 2011.
    [...]
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/osa...fied-docs-show

Biden is still a weak leader. No wonder it took Obama so long to endorse him.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Didn't the poll tea leaves say that Hillary was going to win there by like a landslide in 2016?

Maybe Joe will make the same mistake and not bother campaigning there as well.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    LOL... Biden is such a weak leader that Usama bin Laden wanted to kill Obama to put the United States into a crisis.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/osa...fied-docs-show

Biden is still a weak leader. No wonder it took Obama so long to endorse him.
    Haha, no kidding. I'm sure his thought process went something like, usually killing a US President won't put the country in crisis, but with Biden being sooooo incompetent, it totally will! <Maniacle laugh/>

'The Marie Antoinette of the Senate': GOP Rep. King slams McConnell for suggesting states go bankrupt

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/3010200001/

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    'The Marie Antoinette of the Senate': GOP Rep. King slams McConnell for suggesting states go bankrupt

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/3010200001/
    As usual partisans and the media are too emotionally involved to accurately debate and report. McConnell is not a great messenger, but the message is the right one: states should not be allowed to use the crisis to bail out pre-crisis mis-management. I don't know how any reasonable person can disagree with that. McConnell specifically mentioned state pensions which should be a non-starter. He also mentioned that the federal government should help fund anything related to coronavirus.

Lost revenue during the shutdown will be a sticking point and has to be negotiated. I think the feds need to step in and fill that gap. But the problem is states with a history of mismanagement will definitely use the fog of the crisis to grab extra cash to cover more than coronavirus related fiscal issues.

This is what worries me about the crisis more than the actual infection and it's direct effects. Partisans using the crisis to try to fundamentally change our relationship with the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    As usual partisans and the media are too emotionally involved to accurately debate and report. McConnell is not a great messenger, but the message is the right one: states should not be allowed to use the crisis to bail out pre-crisis mis-management. I don't know how any reasonable person can disagree with that. McConnell specifically mentioned state pensions which should be a non-starter. He also mentioned that the federal government should help fund anything related to coronavirus.

Lost revenue during the shutdown will be a sticking point and has to be negotiated. I think the feds need to step in and fill that gap. But the problem is states with a history of mismanagement will definitely use the fog of the crisis to grab extra cash to cover more than coronavirus related fiscal issues.

This is what worries me about the crisis more than the actual infection and it's direct effects. Partisans using the crisis to try to fundamentally change our relationship with the federal government.
    I agree with you completely. I put this here in this thread because while Trump is making fun of a prominent democrat with references to ice cream, a prominent Republican, regardless any nuance in his comments, came across as completely tone deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Haha, no kidding. I'm sure his thought process went something like, usually killing a US President won't put the country in crisis, but with Biden being sooooo incompetent, it totally will! <Maniacle laugh/>
    I think there would be little or no crisis here, on CS, if Drumpf was assassinated... I, for one, would welcome Pence as my president. I don't know if I can wait until 2024!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I agree with you completely. I put this here in this thread because while Trump is making fun of a prominent democrat with references to ice cream, a prominent Republican, regardless any nuance in his comments, came across as completely tone deaf.
    Yeah mitch is not a great one on tone but I'll take his position on this over Nancy Pelosi any day. There is going to be a lot of creative accounting and projections by state governments once budget bailouts are on the table. In this environment, how do you accurately show how much of the shortfall was going to happen regardless and how much is directly related to Covid19. Cuomo us saying he is short 15 billion due to the virus. I don't know how that is possible when you look at the revenue source and the fact that they already saw a 4 billion dollar decline in revenue last fiscal year. Maybe he is basing his projections on assuming they will be closed down through the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Yeah mitch is not a great one on tone but I'll take his position on this over Nancy Pelosi any day. There is going to be a lot of creative accounting and projections by state governments once budget bailouts are on the table. In this environment, how do you accurately show how much of the shortfall was going to happen regardless and how much is directly related to Covid19. Cuomo us saying he is short 15 billion due to the virus. I don't know how that is possible when you look at the revenue source and the fact that they already saw a 4 billion dollar decline in revenue last fiscal year. Maybe he is basing his projections on assuming they will be closed down through the summer.
    Yeah, that Nancy Pelosi is one sick woman... WTF:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Abrams says Biden needs to pick a woman of color as a running mate...

Stacey Abrams signals 'concern' if Biden's VP pick isn't a woman of color

Stacey Abrams said Wednesday that former Vice President Joe Biden should pick a woman of color to be his running mate in November.

Last month during the final Democratic primary debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders, Biden committed to selecting a female running mate. The former vice president and presumptive Democratic nominee has further indicated he might seek out a woman of color to join his ticket.
    [...]
    Still, she continued, “I would share your concern about not picking a woman of color because women of color — particularly black women — are the strongest part of the Democratic Party, the most loyal, but that loyalty isn't simply how we vote. It's how we work, and if we want to signal that that work will continue, that we're going to reach not just to certain segments of our community, but to the entire country, then we need a ticket that reflects the diversity of America.”
    [...]
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-for-vp-201209

Hey, maybe Liz Warren would be a good pick.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Where are all these dumb people getting the idea that Drumpf wants to inject you with bleach? At one time it was tempting for young dems to eat tide pods but I watched the video clip of his press conference and it seems to me Drumpf is talking about using UV light as a disinfectant. He doesn't mention bleach. I was a little concerned about the president suggesting that UV light could be used internally but after doing some research it does look like a possible treatment maybe:

How Can Light Kill Viruses?
    [...]
    Since then, research on use of lasers against viruses has continued. Eventually, it might be possible to use lasers to cleanse blood samples of viruses and other pathogens, making them safer to handle. Laser therapy might also be combined with blood dialysis treatments. In that approach, blood would be cycled out of a patient's body, lasers could eliminate any pathogens in the blood and the blood would be cycled back in. As this study, published in November 2019 by the National Institutes of Health, describes, it eventually might be possible to employ lasers to inactivate influenza viruses, so that they used to produce more effective vaccines.
    [...]
    https://science.howstuffworks.com/li...ight-virus.htm

also:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6122858/

I have some high powered UV lights in my forced air system at our home. They seem to do a good job keeping the air circulating in our home clear of pathogens and mold. At least since we have installed them we get sick a lot less often. If they kill those basturd Covid-19 viruses too then they are well worth my investment. However, I am not going to try sticking one of those UV light tubes up my butt. That sounds like something a dumb dem would do.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Where are all these dumb people getting the idea that Drumpf wants to inject you with bleach? At one time it was tempting for young dems to eat tide pods but I watched the video clip of his press conference and it seems to me Drumpf is talking about using UV light as a disinfectant. He doesn't mention bleach. I was a little concerned about the president suggesting that UV light could be used internally but after doing some research it does look like a possible treatment maybe:

also:

I have some high powered UV lights in my forced air system at our home. They seem to do a good job keeping the air circulating in our home clear of pathogens and mold. At least since we have installed them we get sick a lot less often. If they kill those basturd Covid-19 viruses too then they are well worth my investment. However, I am not going to try sticking one of those UV light tubes up my butt. That sounds like something a dumb dem would do.
    Yeah I'm sure trump was thinking of that NIH study when he was talking about "using light...either through the skin or some other way." He just forgot the name of the study because he reads so many of them.

also:

Kudos to you if you can watch that clip and honestly come up with a flattering portrayal of Trump.

Just mail in your vote for Trump already and be done with it!
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Kudos to you if you can watch that clip and honestly come up with a flattering portrayal of Trump.
    Yeah, I didn't hear Drumpf say he was going to inject people with bleach... y'all might want to have your hearing checked.

Just mail in your vote for Trump already and be done with it!
    I guess you didn't hear this either... Biden says to "mark his words" and that Drumpf is going to kick back the election and closing the post offices!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah, I didn't hear Drumpf say he was going to inject people with bleach... y'all might want to have your hearing checked.

I guess you didn't hear this either... Biden says to "mark his words" and that Drumpf is going to kick back the election and closing the post offices!

If your scrutiny of the media’s response to Trump is much more vigorous than Trump’s own words, then you have a problem.

He didn’t say bleach. Who the hell cares? Were his actual words much better than that?
    - SeattleUte

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Ted, you don't need to defend/rationalize every dumb thing Trump says. That must be exhausting.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ted, you don't need to defend/rationalize every dumb thing Trump says. That must be exhausting.
    Its no effort. It is simply in the programming. TED has a super processor approaching quantum computing power when it comes to Trump.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am just getting a kick out of y’all going crazy thinking that Drumpf told you to drink bleach. Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I am just getting a kick out of y’all going crazy thinking that Drumpf told you to drink bleach. Too funny.

yep didn't say bleach...he said disinfectant by injection and was referring to light, but was so muddled and rambling that it is easily misunderstood as most people don't think of certain light spectrum as a disinfectant, but you knew this and your algorithm will have some other links ready I am sure.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Creepy uncle joe just couldn’t keep his hands to himself, could he? I guess Hillary is going to need to run now to save the Dems from another four year of Drumpf.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Won't happen, but I wonder how things would play out if Biden stepped up and acknowledged that he did, in fact, accost Ms. Reade, although not to the extent she described (the penetration thing is pretty disgusting, and unlikely given what sounded like a public venue). He should note that he did not intend his advances to be perceived as an assault, that he never repeated such behavior (if true), and that he remains deeply regretful of his actions. Since it was nearly 30 years ago, long before Me Too, and assuming other Tara Reades don't come forward, I think such a confession would be enough to satisfy most critics. And certainly if what he did is disqualifying, certainly Trump's long history of sexual assault and misconduct should be as well. But I suppose Ted and other Trump supporters will never see it that way. Weird.