April 2020 General Conference - Global Pandemic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Feeling the same way. There area few posters now that have so thoroughly eliminated all other notes from their posting that you know the single note they will play before you read the post.
    Here’s hoping I still have at least a harmony!
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      wth?
      Conference is essentially 10 hours of above-average Sac Mtg talks. Every six months we get an avalanche of non-descript blasé boilerplate that buries whatever came before it. In 5 years, or roughly 100 hours of conference talks later, I will be shocked if you can remember anything from yesterday or today.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That apostolic blessing and the ensuing multilingual closing hymn is an experience I will never forget.
        It's the new Soosamay! (Old called to serve video with all the Mtc classes singing in different languages).

Kidding. I thought the multilingual hymn was very well done and inspiring.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Hope it'll be Funk's or H8r's next tat.

Edit: Nuts, posted this before I saw AA's post in the other thread. Still, great minds...
          lol, sorry, I've got my next several already planned out, maybe later though [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Conference is essentially 10 hours of above-average Sac Mtg talks. Every six months we get an avalanche of non-descript blasé boilerplate that buries whatever came before it. In 5 years, or roughly 100 hours of conference talks later, I will be shocked if you can remember anything from yesterday or today.
            lol knock it off. Church members bring up old conference talks all the time. No one is trying to retain all of GC but certainly will remember the talks or moments if they stood out to them. Which is why we still here about "tender mercies", or "lift where you stand" or "good better best" etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
              lol knock it off. Church members bring up old conference talks all the time.
              Wait, so are you telling me that we will hear a regurgitated summation of these 10 hours of Conference talks during the next 6 months of Sac Mtg?

You should have trigger warning'd that post my dude.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Some great moments, few low moments, and a lot of boring stuff. So, I guess it's par for the course for me.
                I thought the highlights were asking normal people to speak, a really cool touch. I liked James Rasband's take on finding some new personal insights from the BoM. I'd like to go through the text once it's available. His comment that young people can feel what you think their potential is based on how you treat them really hit me. That's good ol' fashioned religion that can make a difference in the world.

I wonder if Holland changed his talk last minute (meaning, in the last few weeks). It seemed like two talks. It was refreshing to see someone address the pain and suffering that people are going through right now. I'm disappointed more people didn't do that. Hearing about the restoration stories for the n-th time doesn't really help at the present moment. Came off as a little tone deaf, in my opinion. Back to Holland. I'm curious about what he meant when he addressed the decline of religion in the world. I wondered if he was also talking to the people in the red chairs. I'd need to read the text to see. I was reminded of this quote I heard from Ostler in an interview about his book:

"It is customary to blame secular science and anti-religious philosophy for the decline of religion in modern society. It would be more honest to blame religion for its own defeats. Religion declined not because it was refuted, but because it became irrelevant, dull, oppressive, insipid. When faith is completely replaced by creed, worship by discipline, love by habit; when the crisis of today is ignored because of the splendor of the past; when faith becomes an heirloom rather than a living fountain; when religion speaks only in the name of authority rather than with the voice of compassion — its message becomes meaningless."
                -- American Jewish scholar Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-72), in his book "God in Search of Man,"

I was expecting something on Saturday night. Bingham on working together and then Oaks on priesthood... I was expecting an announcement that women would be given more callings, or something. Was I the only one thinking he was laying the groundwork for some announcement?
                Last edited by Brian; 04-06-2020, 07:13 AM.
                I intend to live forever.
                So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post

I was expecting something on Saturday night. Bingham on working together and then Oaks on priesthood... I was expecting an announcement that women would be given more callings, or something. Was I the only one thinking he was laying the groundwork for some announcement?
                  I totally thought that. Seemed like they were leading up to a significant announcement.

Comment

• Remember when Lavell spoke at conference? That was rad.

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Wait, so are you telling me that we will hear a regurgitated summation of these 10 hours of Conference talks during the next 6 months of Sac Mtg?

You should have trigger warning'd that post my dude.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I had lunch with The Dude once in Provo.

He pointed out to me that, a lot of the time with church issues, we are all fired up about stuff that doesn't really matter.
                          He told me, in effect, that once a person lets go & stops worrying about the crap that doesn't matter in Mormonism, the church, religion, etc., it is a lot easier to start caring about the stuff that really matters - like helping other people and living a virtuous life. I takes a lot of confidence to live that way - to shrug off the nonsense and keep focused on the essentials. Most people are probably trying their best to do the right thing, and most of the time they deserve the benefit of the doubt (This probably applies to any organization or religion).

I apologize if I'm misremembering, Lebowski, but that's what I remember.

It was good advice, and I reflect upon it often.

The Dude Abides.
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            I had lunch with The Dude once in Provo.

He pointed out to me that, a lot of the time with church issues, we are all fired up about stuff that doesn't really matter.
                            He told me, in effect, that once a person lets go & stops worrying about the crap that doesn't matter in Mormonism, the church, religion, etc., it is a lot easier to start caring about the stuff that really matters - like helping other people and living a virtuous life. I takes a lot of confidence to live that way - to shrug off the nonsense and keep focused on the essentials. Most people are probably trying their best to do the right thing, and most of the time they deserve the benefit of the doubt (This probably applies to any organization or religion).

I apologize if I'm misremembering, Lebowski, but that's what I remember.

It was good advice, and I reflect upon it often.

The Dude Abides.
                            That is kind of you. I remember that lunch very well. Would love to do it again sometime.

Comment

• For those of you interested, this is the essay from which Holland took his quotation about religious commitment being in decline. I liked this essay, as it mirrors many of my own thoughts.

https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2019/12/59322/

I have not been on the board much lately and so apologize if this is redundant info.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

You know people have had the teaching of the two great commandments in the Law, to love God and to love your neighbor, for well over 2000 years, but still they need to be reminded to try to observe them. Oh, that it were as simple as fixing some code.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X