The official COVID-19 pandemic SILVER LININGS thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official COVID-19 pandemic SILVER LININGS thread

OK, there is so much bad news I thought it might not hurt to have a place to share some good things coming out of this dumb pandemic. No insults or arguments allowed in this thread.

I will start with a few:

1. I am getting more exercise
    2. I think I have a much deeper appreciation for things that matter - relationships with family and friends
    3. Some good opportunities to serve. When we do carry out we try to leave a $20 tip each time and the recipient almost always tears up. We have had some touching experiences connecting with neighbors.
    4. Our immediate family is closer than ever
    5. Hardly any spam callers
    6. Working from home is mostly awesome
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Clean air. My wife and I go hiking most evenings and it is remarkable how much nicer the air quality is in the valley lately.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

pelagius came back to brag about weightlifting.

Comment

I agree about item #1 more exercise. It's much easier to exercise in the morning when I don't have to worry about getting to the office at a specific time.

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, no waking up early to drive my daughter to early morning seminary!

Comment

Comment

* I have seen my kids more in the last 3 weeks than perhaps any non-vacation 3-week period since they were born.

* In the days, weeks, and years BC (Before COVID) usually a couple times a week I would be sitting in my office, dreading whatever was left on my plate that day, and I would wonder how my daughter's day is going, or I would be wishing I could just hug my kids and tell them I love them. Now I just walk out of my office and hug my kids and tell them I love them and ask how their day is going.

* I have golfed 18 holes at least twice a week for the past 3 weeks. Fingers crossed that the Gov. doesn't shut down the courses.

* I've noticed that when i'm out for a walk and I see some other people out walking, they and I are both a little more likely to give a friendly smile or a "hi there".

* I purchased and installed an 86" TV for the Superbowl, not realizing that just 6 weeks later we would be suddenly be watching a LOT more TV
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

If there was ever a time where I could come to Utah and help my ailing parents (mainly my dad) it was due to this. Because last minute flights were so inexpensive I could fly out and be with them when he unexpectantly went into the hospital.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

My hair was getting shaggy so I had my wife give me a haircut with our clippers we bought years ago for kid haircuts. She did such a great job that I may not pay for a haircut again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    My hair was getting shaggy so I had my wife give me a haircut with our clippers we bought years ago for kid haircuts. She did such a great job that I may not pay for a haircut again.
                    I've been thinking of just shaving off what little grows on my head. It would save me time and money.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

We may have the greatest sports month ever in the history of the world. Everything is being postponed. What are the chances we get The Masters, the NBA Finals, beginning of the NFL season, college football, very shortened baseball season/playoffs, Tour de France, British Open, etc. All in the same month?
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I was just thinking this morning that for folks (like me) who have cut our their own hair for years, this was the day of our great power! People running around not knowing what to do with their shaggy hair, when for me it is completely BAU.

Comment

I couldn't help but chuckle remembering that you did a similar thread with Luke Worthington. I know you're not comparing Luke to COVID-19, but my twisted mind naturally went there.

The commute is right across the hall instead of 45 minutes.

I've been able to smoke meat for dinner each Sunday, and our three kids come over for Sunday dinner each week.

I love spending Sundays with Sister Diddley. We're usually going in separate directions.

I'm always jealous of the missus getting to watch our grandkids. Now I see them every day. The grandson will come in and just sit on my lap as I'm working. It makes the day so much better.

My military haircut is not hard, and I only pay for haircuts if I'm TDY for an extended period of time.

Comment

I have a beard for the first time in 5+ years.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Between HFN and HBCoug half the kitten population in the US has been eradicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X